TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

mum refusing me help from doctors ? - March 15th 2010, 09:57 PM

my mum knows im not happy, i have talked to my mum about my confidence issues, sleeping issues, and she is refusing me doctors appointments, telling me i need to get out more and stop using internet. she knows i have anixeity issues aswell coz the dcotor diagnosed me with that, the thing is im asking her to ring up the doctors for me and to book me up an appointment and come dcotors with me and just help me get help, but she is refusing, the only sleeping pills im allowed are the over the counter ones, i am on off them, i no need some from the doctor as some nights im only getting one hour of sleep, and i have tried talking to my mum and telling her i need to go docotors and talk to the doctor and would like her to come with me in case i freeze up and cant speak but she refuses to get me help, yet she tells me i need help i ask for help and she refuses to take me to the doctors it like she wants me to get worse, i cant get worse than this for the past two days i have wanted to die i have ways i could die planned out in my head (all the ways i have i know may work one i know will deffinatley work) but the thing is my mum is refusing to get me help, i know that counselling would probably really help me but the thing is i cant get any as my mum is refusing me help. what can i do ? im getting worse each day yet my mum is still refusing me help ? i need to get my mum to get me help. im scared i will do something i will regret im scared of myself i need help but i cant get the help i need as my mum is refusing me the help. what can i do ?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Simplyme7 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: mum refusing me help from doctors ? - March 15th 2010, 11:29 PM

If your mom won't help, but you need the help, then call the doctors on your own.
You said that you're worried about freezing up...
My suggestion to that would be to write down on paper what your going through, and what you want to talk to them about.
Make sure to bring that paper to your doctor appointment.
It really is sad that your mom won't help,
but you need the help,
so you need to take matters into your own hands.
Good Luck with everything

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: mum refusing me help from doctors ? - March 16th 2010, 02:37 AM

I'm not sure where you live but you're 19, presumably an adult so you may be able to make the appointment by yourself without the assistance of your mother, so that part seems like it's solved pretty easily. If you feel uncomfortable calling at home, then get the doctor's number (i.e. online), then use your cell phone or even a pay-phone.

Instead of nagging your mother over and over because clearly she has her reasons, why not ask her what her reasons are without nagging her? Some parents want to hope that their children will never get ill and may even go as far so as to do this, which although it hurts you, it can help preserve her belief. Or, it may be an issue she has with doctors, medications, etc... . Since you say you were officially diagnosed, I'm a bit uncertain as to the problem your mother has because some way or another, you got diagnosed and you say she's well aware of the diagnosis. So I'm unsure if she has an issue with the medications in general, and if that's the case, once again, you're 19 years old, hopefully you have some money saved up to buy the medications (assuming you already have a prescription).

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: mum refusing me help from doctors ? - March 16th 2010, 09:04 AM

my mum dont want me going on anti depressants, last time i went doctors the doctor said to me while my mum was there 'if the counselling does not work i will have to put you anti depressants, but that wil be a last resort'. and i also got an 8 on the questionare he got me to fill out (it was some sort of questionaire about i felt and stuff and the highest you could get was a 10, i got an 8). the thing is though i dont want to be on anti depressants and sleeping pills and other meds, but iknow im getting worse and i know i may do something that i may regret.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: mum refusing me help from doctors ? - March 16th 2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopyLyd View Post
my mum dont want me going on anti depressants, last time i went doctors the doctor said to me while my mum was there 'if the counselling does not work i will have to put you anti depressants, but that wil be a last resort'. and i also got an 8 on the questionare he got me to fill out (it was some sort of questionaire about i felt and stuff and the highest you could get was a 10, i got an 8). the thing is though i dont want to be on anti depressants and sleeping pills and other meds, but iknow im getting worse and i know i may do something that i may regret.
Clearly you used to be on the medications for some duration (the length of time is irrelevant to me) and your mother presumably allowed that. At the present time, your mother is not allowing you despite apparently knowing the score you got on the psychometric test, the diagnoses, the prevelant symptoms, etc... . I think the best thing is to figure out (or if you know already) why your mother is refusing to allow you to go on the medications. What your doctor said was an exaggeration, medications are not the last resort, there are other options but I seriously doubt you need them nor want to undergo them.

I'm a bit confused now though. You want to see the doctor (whether you use the phone or your mother doesn't matter) yet you are uncertain and relatively opposed to going onto medications. I'm not sure what it is you want because I thought it was to go onto the medications as that's what you said initially independent of your mother's wishes. Although you specified you are willing to use the medications to prevent something negative from happening, the fact that you're currently unwilling poses a challenge in whether you would take the medications if you got them. Adding in your mother's disapproval, there seems to be more opposition than support or encouragement to use the medications, which is opposite of your initial post.

I say sort yourself out as to what it is you want then if you don't know why, ask your mother why she is opposed because that can help you in figuring out the complete story (assuming you actually want to take the medications).

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: mum refusing me help from doctors ? - March 16th 2010, 05:30 PM

i know in order to get better i need to go on pills of some sort. and i know to get the pills i need to go to the doctor and get help from the doctor. what i mean is dont want to gon them because i have been on pills for most of my life, but at the same time i want to go on them to get better.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
jamesbrookman Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: mum refusing me help from doctors ? - March 18th 2010, 07:52 AM

There are other ways to overcome this problem than pills, trying going for a yoga or meditation class, if you don't like them, try doing something that you will totally get involved so you would forget your present problems and in the end of it you wouldn't even remember what was the problem!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: mum refusing me help from doctors ? - March 18th 2010, 06:03 PM

i spoke to my mum agian today did it in a way where i put her on the spot, we were in the supermarket and we were down the isle where they have the over the counter herlbal sleeping pills and asked her for some more she said no to expensive so i said ok what theese ones they are less expensive she still said no and then said why dont you try taking vitamins, so she bought me some vitamins and said these may help you sleep, i dont see how vitamins will help me sleep...

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: mum refusing me help from doctors ? - March 19th 2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopyLyd View Post
i spoke to my mum agian today did it in a way where i put her on the spot, we were in the supermarket and we were down the isle where they have the over the counter herlbal sleeping pills and asked her for some more she said no to expensive so i said ok what theese ones they are less expensive she still said no and then said why dont you try taking vitamins, so she bought me some vitamins and said these may help you sleep, i dont see how vitamins will help me sleep...
Your mother is being purposely ignorant by trying to have her daughter not take any medications because she may perceive it in a negative way. Either she doesn't understand the stuff or she's trying her best to make herself comfortable by not having you take certain medications but is giving you another medications (vitamins) in the hope that is good enough when a 10-year old would know that's nonsense.

If they sell the medications at the supermarket and are over-the-counter, you're 19, save up some money and go buy them, just as you could go call the doctor yourself without needing your mother's assistance. Otherwise, try what jamesbrookman suggested because individual therapy and certain self-therapies have been shown many times to produce the same or similar results as pharmacological methods.

Closed Thread