TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Phobia of moths, bees, spiders and other insects - March 20th 2010, 10:16 PM

I love the summer but I hatehatehate insects I hate moths the worst and during the summer I get about one in my room once a week It's really annoying because my bedroom gets boiling but I can't open the window as they'll fly in ._____.

If I see one I scream. I can't sleep in my bedroom if I know there's one there. My dad normally kills them for me but sometimes he can't see them or he can't kill it. I don't actually like killing them, I don't like killing any animals but they scare me >____< I'm terrifed they'll fly next to my face (sometimes they do )

I know they can't hurt me, but holy mother of crap the look of them scares me Even writing this is making me feel sick. I keep feeling like there's something crawling on me when I know full well there isn't.

My parents just tell me to grow up when I run from them :/

Gah what can I do to stop them from scaring me as much? :/

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Phobia of moths, bees, spiders and other insects - March 20th 2010, 11:41 PM

Honestly, the best way to get over phobias like this one is through exposure therapy, which is something that you would do with a therapist counselor. It's just basically exposing you to gradually increasing levels of interaction with your fear.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Phobia of moths, bees, spiders and other insects - March 21st 2010, 12:35 PM

Hey there Ceilidh,

Having a phobia of insects isn't uncommon at all, so you're definitely not alone with this!

It is always best to try and face your phobias and work through them instead of trying to avoid them - especially if they're part of everyday life and are generally very difficult to avoid! Exposure therapy can be doine with a therapist which means that it would be better controlled and worked through at your pace. Another idea would just to try and face your fears yourself, which is very difficult and can be scary, but worthwhile in the long run. I think with this phobia, the main thing that is important is to think rationally about what you're worried about. You're aware that these insects aren't going to hurt you, so what exactly are you fearing? Try and take deep breaths and just accept that they are there, reaffirm in your mind that they aren't going to cause you any harm and you have more power than they do. It does take a lot of time and determination, but you could get over this if you really do put your mind to it, Ceilidh.

Take care.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Phobia of moths, bees, spiders and other insects - March 22nd 2010, 06:05 PM

Thanks There was actually a small insect in my room last night. I have no idea what it was, it looked like a fly but with a longer body It kept flying next to my laptop screen I wasn't that scared of it as it was quite small but I can tell more will start coming If there was one in something like a glass cage in front of me I think I'd be okay, I'm just scared they'll fly next to me.

I may just start forcing myself to stay in the room next time I see one :/ I won't like it but it may help in the long-term.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
Closed Thread