TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TryToLiveFree Offline
With victory comes sacrifice
Average Joe

Name: crystal

Think I might be suffering from depression - March 25th 2010, 10:59 PM

I found this check list and it said for major depression you may experience 5 or more. I check off for five:

• Persistent sadness, pessimism
  • Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness or hopelessness
  • Difficulty concentrating and complaints of poor memory
  • Insomnia or oversleeping
  • Thoughts of suicide or death
I don't know what to do cause if I tell my mom she won't believe me. She'll say its one of those things about being in school or I'm just being Crystal.

I know u guyz ain't doctors but please tell me something

[SIGPIC]

Some say the world will end in fire Some say in ice
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire
But if it had to perish twice
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great And would suffice.
-- Robert Frost--

(#2 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Re: Think I might be suffering from depression - March 25th 2010, 11:05 PM

Hiya

A checklist cant really diagnose you, it can point you in a direction to wether you could have depression or not.

If you feel like you do have depression its best to talk to someone, your parents or a doctor. If you cant talk to your mum, try writing her a letter to get your feelings out.

You can get counselling and medication if need be.

Dont just rely on checklists because everybody gets depressed, but not everyone has clinical depression.

And remember if you are depressed things do get better. It may take a month, it may take 12 months, but it does clear up and if you feel suicidal be sure to visit the hospital, it may seem scary but it will keep you safe. You dont deserve to feel suicidal.

You can be helped.

Take Care

Jaymi
xx

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  Send a message via MSN to i_am_me_again  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Horsefeathers. Offline
Remember your virtue.
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Charlie

Re: Think I might be suffering from depression - March 28th 2010, 06:52 AM

Hey there.

One thing I have to warn you against is the dangers of self-diagnosis. Like Jaymi said, a checklist isn't designed to take the place of a professional (and neither are we). It can just suggest whether you have it, but with no certainty.

Still, if you're worried about it, the best thing to do is talk to someone. If your mother won't listen to you, maybe you could go visit a doctor by yourself?

Good luck.
xx

throw yourself into the unknown
with pace & a fury defiant.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Think I might be suffering from depression - March 29th 2010, 05:59 AM

Ignore using the checklists for self-diagnosing as self-diagnosing is rubbish. If you're concerned, then see a doctor or someone trained in diagnosing psychiatric conditions. Also, looking at that list, there are multiple psychiatric disorders other than major depressive disorder that would fit it, so it's too vague and broad. It also lacks any specification of duration for the symptoms and fails to mention one very important factor, the context of the duration (i.e. recent death of a loved one). As much as I am against self-diagnosing, I'm more against self-diagnosing from garbage "checklists".

We cannot even begin an amateur diagnosis because one needs lots more information, so the best thing I can say is see a doctor or someone else trained in the field of psychiatric disorders and throw that checklist away.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Think I might be suffering from depression - April 2nd 2010, 04:43 PM

Hey there Crystal,

I'm sorry that you're feeling as though you may have depression - it's an awful thing to have to deal with and can certainly have a negative impact upon your day to day living.

Unfortunately we are not medical professionals and so can not diagnose you with depression or any other medical condition. However, I would suggest that if you do believe that you could be suffering from mental health issues to visit a doctor and ask for a psychiatric evaluation which should be able to help you some more with this problem. Self diagnosing is not a good idea and only a medical professional would be able to diagnose you with a psychiatric condition such as clinical depression.

Take care.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
HisPrincess Offline
Associate Live Help Operator
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Angelica

Re: Think I might be suffering from depression - April 2nd 2010, 05:48 PM

Well i guess it is possible you could be suffering from depression. I mean if you are suffering from depression then so am i because at one time or another i have had at least 4 of those things.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
natcat Offline
Average Joe

Name: Natalie

Re: Think I might be suffering from depression - April 3rd 2010, 08:06 PM

Hello (:

First off, I'm sorry you haven't been feeling the best lately. I will reiterate what the others have said intially - do not allow a checklist to diagnose you.

I will tell you however that your mother is right - everyone does go through those times in their lives when things are rough. Nothing seems to go right. However, if you feel as if this is not a normal 'slump' then you should seek help from a medical professional - perhaps you could speak with your school nurse and/or a school guidance counsellor. Sometimes just speaking about your problems can make you feel better (:

I know it is difficult when your mom doesn't seem to take you seriously. I suffer from anxiety and anxiety attacks, and for the longest time, my mom told me I was being ridiculous. Parents do not like to think that their child is struggling - I think they feel as if it's their fault .. which is obviously untrue!

However, you don't need your mothers consent to visit a doctor if you wish to! Good luck and I hope you feel better.

It's better to cross the line &
suffer the consequences
than to just stare at the line
for the rest of your life.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
tiffemgee90 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: tiffemgee

Re: Think I might be suffering from depression - April 13th 2010, 09:43 AM

I think what you should do is go to a doctor and talk to them about it. As was said before, checklists aren't very reliable. And as far as your mom goes, mine is the same way so I chose to go get help without concerning her. I just went to a psychologist so I could get the help I believed I need and when I told my mom she just had to deal with it because I had already gone. So I think if you feel as though you are depressed you should go to a professional who can help you and properly diagnose you.
Best of luck

(#9 (permalink)) Old
enjoydivision Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Think I might be suffering from depression - April 13th 2010, 12:21 PM

As the others have said, don't let the checklist diagnose you. But if you do believe you're suffering from depression - which I'm terribly sorry about, by the way, as it is such a terrible illness to have - you should see a doctor and perhaps get a diagnosis.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Elle
Average Joe

Name: Elle

Re: Think I might be suffering from depression - April 13th 2010, 11:44 PM

I don't want to offer a diagnosis but if you think you have depression, it's probably the case. There's no checklist for depression, I don't care what any of these sites tell you. If someone is suicidal and sad a lot but their appetite and sleeping is fine does that sound healthy to you? No. But wait a second, they're only showing two symptoms of depression.. I think it's a load of rubbish that you can be "scored" on depression. My point is that you have concerns about your general mood and you feel unhappy on a regular or even irregular basis, that's the sign of a mental health problem. I'm not saying it's permanent, I'm not saying it's temporary.. I'm just saying if you felt the need to consult us about this then you probably know that this is something you need to get properly diagnosed and treated.

Closed Thread