TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Doing well. - March 26th 2010, 05:01 AM

Hey-

So, lately I've been doing really well to be honest. I'm feeling overall better (Though I need to remember when to get refills on my meds ) I'm going to class, getting better grades, etc. I'm really big into the LGBT community and have done a number of things to help plan events, speak at events, meet people, etc. Outside, and even emotionally, I'm doing insanely well. Better than I ever would have thought.

My only problem now, is my past. And things that have happened. I don't want to go into detail, but multiple events happened that are always on my mind. I have flashbacks constantly, even if they are small. I hate sleeping because of dreams I have. And small topics that are brought up send me into this spiral of nothingness.

Since I'm doing so well, my therapist thinks we don't need to make regular appointments, just when I need them. And I kind of agree. I just wish the past was not fucking up my present and future.

Not sure what I'm looking for, just ideas? I mean, can I get over things that have happened by myself?

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Nymous Offline
Average Joe

Name: Clara

Re: Doing well. - March 27th 2010, 04:37 PM

Yes, I'm sure you can get over it. You just need time, whatever happened to you. Don't push it, don't try to forget or push it to the back of your mind, that's not good.
I'm glad you're doing well. It's good if you don't need to go regularly to your therapist anymore.
Don't worry about it too much. The dreams will probably go away in some time. You really only need time to get over it. It's normal to think and to remember about pas things.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Doing well. - March 27th 2010, 06:31 PM

Hey Maria,

So glad you seem to be doing better! What a nice shift for you. In my own experience, no, you can't just get better on your own. That being said, I don't believe that you need to necessarily be in therapy each week if you don't want to be. But, I think you'll need some consistency, even if it's having one appointment every three or four weeks. It's helpful to talk about what's going on, even if things are good! And yes, time WILL heal, but it also helps when someone is there, helping you cope and process things.

Talking about what happened to you isn't always the easiest, or the most appealing option, but I firmly believe that it's the option that works.

Try talking with your therapist about all this, see what she says.
<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
Closed Thread