TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ImaginedReality Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

sick of being shy - March 29th 2010, 05:06 AM

sorry i dont know if this is in the right place..how can i be more confident and comfortable around people? ive always been shy and my stupid fears have ruined my life so far. im 19 now and its embarrasing that im still like this...any advice? thanks in advance

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: sick of being shy - March 29th 2010, 07:52 AM

What did it for me was working in a job where I had to work with the public. I worked as a grocery store cashier for 3 years, dollar store cashier for 1 year, and a cashier/retail worker for the last 3. I wasn't a naturally outgoing person beforehand, but I've gotten to the point where I'm so talkative that my girlfriend commented the other day that I seem to like the sound of my own voice! I don't, for the record, I'm just more more talkative than she is.

What I did was gradually push myself to the edge of my comfort zone, starting with people I at least knew a little bit. I'm still not one to randomly start a conversation with someone (except at work, where I get paid to!), but when I DO start a conversation I usually look for some common ground between the person and myself. For example, I talked to a lady at work tonight that was wearing a University of Kentucky shirt. I started talking about basketball and we talked for awhile about that, and in the process I sold her something to boot. It can be something as simple as a shoe brand (I've really become a fan of New Balance, for example) or a cap with a golf brand (I'm golfer to the bone).

Closed Thread