TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SaveMe Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Natasha

PTSD? I don't think so. - April 3rd 2010, 09:46 PM

So a year ago my doctors diagnosed me with PTSD. I was nervous when they were questioning me and they asked if I had flashbacks. I said yes, but when I think about it, I didn't really. I'd just think about it sometimes. I really think I'm misdiagonosed and a family member who has a friend with Border Line Personality Disorder said I show far for symptoms of that then PTSD. Are alot of people who are diagnosed weith PTSD actually not have PTSD, but BPD instead. My aunt was telling me about BPD and how people with it tended to go into relaitonships fast, open up fast, and just try to take everything wayy too quickly. Theyre constantly scared of being abandonned,very unstable, and alot of symptoms, most of which go along with PTSD. Could this be a mistake? Should I try to get back in to see my doctor?

And she fights so you won't ignore her,
'cause thats her biggest fear.

Support
Love<3

Keep your head up gorgeous,
they'll kill to see you
fall..
  Send a message via AIM to SaveMe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: PTSD? I don't think so. - April 4th 2010, 12:18 AM

Well first of all, you shouldn't lie to your doctor. Saying you're having flashbacks when you're not interferes with your diagnosis. And also, with jumping into relationships too quickly and taking them more seriously, that can be associated with Histrionic Personality Disorder. But the thing is, usually personality disorders aren't diagnosed until you're done in your teens. I'm pretty sure you're too young to be diagnosed with any personality disorders, though.

Maybe you should talk to your doctor anyways and see what they have to say about it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SaveMe Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: PTSD? I don't think so. - April 4th 2010, 12:26 AM

Well the thing is, I didn't really lie, I just had a different view on the question. And thanks for the information I believe I have an appointment next week :P

Support
Love<3

they'll kill to see you
fall..
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: PTSD? I don't think so. - April 4th 2010, 01:26 AM

Okay, "Lie" was the wrong choice of word. What I mean is, you should probably be like, extremely specific. If you're not experiencing flashbacks, but thinking of the incident only when mentioned, that MAY differentiate the diagnosis, it may not.

But yes, some of the symptoms you mentioned overlap with a dozen other things, so I mean, having a couple common symptoms isn't really justification to completely toss aside your already-given diagnosis. However, if you are in doubt, you DO have a right to discuss such with your doctor. They may have already considered other things, and dismissed them due to other reasons. So perhaps just speaking about it casually, like saying how you don't feel your "flashbacks" are really flashbacks, you know?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
SaveMe Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: PTSD? I don't think so. - April 4th 2010, 04:20 AM

Yeah Thanks, I was wondering how I could approach it with my doctor. Because I think about it but most of the time it doesn't really bug me. Unless something stupid happened and I'm already depressed that day.

Support
Love<3

they'll kill to see you
fall..
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: PTSD? I don't think so. - April 4th 2010, 04:28 AM

Well aren't you supposed to be in therapy if you have PTSD? Sorry, I don't know how that works. Anyways, if you're not already in therapy, well then just make mention to your doctor about how you feel a more thorough diagnosis, and therapy may be beneficial..?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
SaveMe Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: PTSD? I don't think so. - April 4th 2010, 04:34 AM

I was, for a year, but she got to busy, thinking I was getting better and reffered me to a teen depression group. So I've been going to that, which she is in charge of, and she told me she's getting me back into one on one counseling this week if she can. And if she does, I'll mention it to her and she might try to get me to my physciatrist again.

Support
Love<3

they'll kill to see you
fall..
Closed Thread