TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SaveMe Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Natasha

Being hospitalized (Don't know if this goes here?) - April 6th 2010, 07:24 PM

So my mom is trying to force me to be hospitalized for a few weeks in the mental health ward at the hospital. I'm depressed, suicidal, and self injure. The thing is I'm so scared to go into the hospital! I don't think I need to.. but she may be forcing me. They don't even have an adolesent ward, I'd be in with adults. Would anyone like to tell me about their experience, about what its like. Also what would I be allowed to bring to entertain me and stuff?

And she fights so you won't ignore her,
'cause thats her biggest fear.

Support
Love<3

Keep your head up gorgeous,
they'll kill to see you
fall..
  Send a message via AIM to SaveMe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Being hospitalized (Don't know if this goes here?) - April 6th 2010, 08:34 PM

Hey there Natasha,

I think it would be best if you decide to talk to your mother with a doctor or therapist about this prospect. From the sounds of it, you do seem to be struggling and it would be a very good idea for you to get help for your depression, suicidal thoughts and your self injury - you do deserve to get help with those issues.
It is completely understandable that you are scared or unsure about being hospitalized, I know that I would be too. If you don't think that you do require hospitalization then do feel free to speak up about your thoughts and feelings - you should have a say in this matter as it is your thoughts, feelings and issues that will be dealt with. It is entirely possible for you to receive professional help without being hospitalized and so that would be the other option available to you.
Everybody's experiences in hospitals are different, Natasha. Some people do find it to be a safe and beneficial environment, where as some people do not like the experience as it can be, understandably, very difficult for several different reasons. I honestly think that it would be best to talk to your doctor about this to see if they believe it to be beneficial or not.

Take care.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Being hospitalized (Don't know if this goes here?) - April 6th 2010, 09:31 PM

Have you already seen a psychiatrist to provide you with anti-depressants and also get psychotherapy assuming you get diagnosed with a disorder requiring those? That's how it will be treated in the hospital, although with hospital standards and the mode of psychotherapy may be different. If you haven't, then unless you have tried to kill yourself and not simply self-harmed, I wouldn't view it as such a danger to yourself whereby you need hospitalization. If you think you want to kill yourself but don't feel nor have acted on it, then it may be a precaution your mother is doing.

You'd simply be put in the hospital so they can monitor you and better prevent you from trying to kill yourself but that can be done outside the hospital also by your mother.

I wouldn't suspect people are happy to go into hospitalization so your worrying and opposition is probably normal, in fact it's probably what would be expected. If you go, then do remember that a) people in such wards are not incredibly dangerous because if they are, they are transferred to a more secure hospital, b) they would like recognize you being a youth and try to restrict certain patients from mingling with you, and c) since you are a youth, the staff and many patients would try to help you out maybe a bit more than usual. I'm not saying these 3 reasons are reasons to go but if you do go, then keep these 3 in mind.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Make A Wish ☼
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lacey

Re: Being hospitalized (Don't know if this goes here?) - April 6th 2010, 10:06 PM

Hey Natasha.

I actually am very happy I was hospitalized. I was only in for 3 days but it gave me a lot of time to sort things out in my head. I saw a nurse and a psychatrist once a day, which allowed me to get tons of help. they worked with my meds and gave me a good combination. It also gives you a schedual that you can manage. Breakfast at a certain them, then group, then lunch and so on. Scheduals are really nice, structure, its needed.

I can't say much for the hospital you would be going to, but from my experieince it was very helpful. Take care and good luck. I hope that, whatever happens is helpful for you.

Life is to short to put it off anymore
You gotta live it before itís too late
I canít turn that clock back around
On what youíre dreaming about
You better do it now, donít wait

Do something crazy and dumb, while your still young. <3

Need to talk? I'm here. --->
  Send a message via MSN to *~Circus Clown~*  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Em... Offline
smile; it looks good on you.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: E

Re: Being hospitalized (Don't know if this goes here?) - April 6th 2010, 11:02 PM

Hey There Natasha,
Ask others have suggested it's best to really sit down with your mum and talk things out.
I was hospitalised for the same thing, depression, suicidal thoughts, and self injury. I went in volunteerily because I was 18, but I went only because I knew I needed help and my mum was bitching all the time and my parents were not that supportive. I was put in the adult ward. Looking back, I'm glad I went. It helped me so much. It certainly didn't hurt any. There was a lot that I did. I saw a psychiatrist everyday, and I had a nurse, and a social worker I saw everyday. I got to go to art therapy, and that was GREAT. I had a good time there, I got to think a lot of things out, I met a lot of nice people, some with problems such as myself, and I was able to get my life sorted out. Because of my experience with being hospitalised, I now have a regular psychiatrist and I see him once a month, I'm on anti-depressants, I have a therapist, and I'm in group therapy. I've learned so much, and I am a better person now. I only stayed about a week.

What ever you decide to do Natasha, just know that it won't hurt to try it out. Like me, I was so scared to go, my brother had gone twice and I was afraid of my self image and just everything, but it really turned out for the best. Good luck love.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Being hospitalized (Don't know if this goes here?) - April 14th 2010, 12:35 PM

Hey there.
I understand itís a very scary thought of going into hospital. I was admitted into a pysh unit for around twelve weeks. Although this was for 12-18 year olds. Personally, it scared the hell out of me and I would hate to go back. But no because it was a horrible place or because the people were horrible. Just because I donít want be in hospital.

My mum was in an adult mental health worth for about six weeks, then two other times for around three weeks. I think if you go to an adult ward, they leave a lot of things up to you. Which may in some respects be harder.

However, like as already said talk to your pysch about it. But donít be scared. If you honestly feel you may benift from it then maybe you need to step back and let it go ahead. If you donít think it will help speak out.

Hope It all hoes okay xx

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread