TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: SixFeetUnderTheStars

Question Chronic Liar.... - April 15th 2010, 06:34 PM

okay so, ive recently discovered that my lieing has got way way way out of control!! its crazy, i HATE what i am doing, and know that I will end up hurting people but i cant seem to stop....

the lies are crazy, and the even crazier thing is that I NOW BELIEVE THEM. for example i told my friends that i had an abusive childhood by my father...and because of this i now hold a grude agaisnt him!! when he did nothing as bad as i told people!
Another one of the biggies is that im ana.....and ive started believeing that i am :S its crazy :S i dont know how to stop....the lieing is constant and i need to get out of this vicous circle!!

i cant remember when the lies started but all i know is they can be big or small and day to day..... its one thing to another...

does anyone know why i do this? i cant make sense of it?
i want to stop....its mentall!!!!

<3 love xxxxxxxxxxx
  Send a message via MSN to Six Feet Under The Stars  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Chronic Liar.... - April 15th 2010, 06:47 PM

hey, I know kind of how you feel. I'm somewhat similar to you, although at the moment the only lies I tell are small simple ones (for instance I'll elaborate on stories to make them more interesting or I'll lie about my life to people like hairdressers etc to make myself seem like a batter person).
I can't say why you do this, though it could be that if you have low self esteem, you may want to feel cared about and therefore tell people that you've had these bad experiences so that they will show you compassion? Do you crave other peoples affection and attention? that might be a reason why you lie.
It might be an idea to try and talk to a counsellor. Maybe if you're scared that you won't tell them the truth about why you want to talk to them you could write them a note so that they at least know you're struggling with this. another thing you could do is to take a moment before you say something that is a lie and think to yourself: "is it necessary for me to say this?", "what are the repurcussions of this person finding out that I've lied to them?", "why do I feel the need to lie about this particular subject?" - Just taking a couple of seconds to think things through rationally can help sometimes.
Good luck

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Chronic Liar.... - April 18th 2010, 05:15 PM

Hayy, thanks for replying to me hummmm thinking about it...i do ave low self esteem and low self confidence although i dont know why! my life is fairly happy, normal, boring maybe and my issues are the lies...every day! I have a feeling it might be a need for attention or affection..i just dont know why! and i really really want to stop, just dont know how to... welll thanks for the advice, im going to really try to think hard about things before i say them in future... easier said than done maybe?
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Chronic Liar.... - April 18th 2010, 05:21 PM

the lieing is so bad... im even tempted to lie on here so im trying to only write in this "chronic liar" section so im not tempted!! which might be lonely....but its just so god damn bad.....argh.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Chronic Liar.... - April 18th 2010, 05:25 PM

its sad because, im even so out of countrol of these lies i dont feel like i can go in the chat room without screwing up!
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Chronic Liar.... - April 18th 2010, 05:31 PM

Hey, welcome to TH (:
I agree with Ella. Lying can be a serious problem which generally stems from self-esteem or a desire to be accepted and it's easy to elt it get out of control!! I think you need to try and accept that there's nothing wrong with you as a person and honestly you shouldn't really feel as though you have to lie. I think maybe it would be a good idea to try talking to a counsellor about it?? It's really good that you've accepted it's a problem and want to do something about it, but I think that would be a good way of starting to try and fix the issue!!
xxx

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Chronic Liar.... - April 18th 2010, 05:36 PM

Hi, thank you im trying to get to terms with how TH works, its confusing to begin with dont you think? :P ahhh... well id go and see a couincillor about it but does that mean telling my mum? im 16 years old currently. xx
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Chronic Liar.... - April 18th 2010, 06:22 PM

It does seem confusing at first but you get used to it very fast, and people here are always ready to help!!
I'm not sure if you have to tell your parents at the age of sixteen... I know I did, but i'm not sure if the same would apply in your country. Maybe you could try asking a school guidance counsellor about trying to organise counselling?? In my secondary school the careers and guidance counsellors were willing to counsel people, but they would also bring in another counsellor outside of the school for students that weren't comfortable talking to a teacher. (:

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

Closed Thread