TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
stevie141 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Steve

Question Mainia or anger.... - April 21st 2010, 06:15 PM

well i just read a thread bout bipolar n manic depression that said they were diff. well a while ago i was told by mi doc i could have it but everyone was confused cus i never showed the mainia part but i do get really angry randomly... can that replace the mainia ide of it
  Send a message via MSN to stevie141  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
the.end Offline
whisper from your father
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Mainia or anger.... - April 21st 2010, 06:37 PM

Manic Depression and Bipolar Disorder are now considered interchangeable terms for the same illness. Manic Depression is highly over diagnosed so i would suggest getting more than one doctor's opinion. And to understand the vast range of severeness of Bipolar disorder you need to understand that it's an umbrella term for two, similar but not the same, illnesses. Bipolar l and Bipolar ll. Bipolar l is normally considered a more severe form but that's up for debate since they aren't exactly comparable. Bipolar l sufferer's experience full blown mania, a blinding, capable, blissful hysteria. On average, they experience shorter less severe depressive episodes. Full blown mania almost always requires hospitalization and can come with delusions, psychosis, and even exhaustion related health problems. People in a manic episode merely cannot be reasoned out of it. Bipolar ll is the opposite. They don't experience mania but merely hypomania, a less severe form of mania. Hypomania can be dealt with sans hospitalization. The depressive slumps of Bipolar ll are devastating. Coupled with mixed states [notorious for increased irritability] (a dangerous combination of hypomania and major depression. imagine being suicidal with the unreasonable apathy and energy of a manic individual) Bipolar ll is difficult to say in the least.

Both sects of Bipolar Disorder have severe mood swings and shifts that can span over hours to days to months or years. It's always good to do your research. So yes, irritability is a symptom of both mania and depression.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Mainia or anger.... - April 21st 2010, 10:24 PM

Extra anger is a part of Depression as well, as said above.

However, it could just be you having Depression. It COULD be Bipolar, but usually you have to have a few symptoms of Mania to have a Bipolar diagnosis.

Perhaps you should consult a professional, like a therapist/psychiatrist and tell them about these fits of rage. They could probably figure out more and put a better perspective on it, since a GP doesn't have the same expertise in mental illness as a psych/therapist would.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Mainia or anger.... - April 23rd 2010, 05:45 PM

Hey there Steve,

Bipolar is simply a more modern term to describe Manic Depression, which is now outdated.
Only a doctor, psychiatist or psychologist could diagnose you with bipolar and so I would recommend that, if you're concerned about having bipolar disorder, then it would be best to talk to a medical professional so that they will be able to give you a psychiatric assessment and a diagnosis.
Anger can be a part of depression or, possibly mania. It is impossible for us to tell you as we're not medical professionals. Please seek some professional help.

Take care.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
stevie141 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Steve

Re: Mainia or anger.... - April 23rd 2010, 08:54 PM

Right got ya.... i think. Well i'm gonna go see a mental health nurse person thing on monday to get it sorted but now i've got them suggesting i could have borderline personallity disorder what the hell is that
  Send a message via MSN to stevie141  
Closed Thread