TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

PTSD - April 28th 2010, 07:17 PM

My doctor thinks I might have PTSD. I was wondering what type of things doctors use to help with it? What has helped anyone on here who has struggled with it? What types of Medicines seemed to help? Can you tell me anything else? I go to my doctor again Tuesday and will get more information but I was just curious. Thanks.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: PTSD - April 28th 2010, 07:30 PM

I believe something like PTSD is mostly treated similar to other mental problems like depression or bipolar disorder. Therapy or a psychiatrist of course, and maybe some medicine that would help ease it all, something like Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, there are tons that could be used. I'm not sure there have been any medications made specifically for PTSD, but a lot are used for different things like such...

Good luck =]

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: PTSD - April 28th 2010, 10:25 PM

Yeah, that is what I thought about the medicine. I didn't think there was anything specific but IDK I guess I just wanted to hear from other PTSD survivors.

And, thinking about this I don't even know if this thread belongs here. I posted really fast and I didn't really think. But the PTSD is related to my Molestation.

Anyway, sorry if the Forum Mod has to move it!!!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: PTSD - April 30th 2010, 04:38 AM

So, I moved this to Mental Health because I felt you'd get a better response there. If anyone disagrees, you know what to do.

Anyway, as for PTSD. There are no meds specifically for it, although it is often treated like depression. I'm personally against meds, as they have never worked for me, but everyone is different. Talk therapy is the best way to help it, in my opinion, and it does help to a degree.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Glass Slipper Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: PTSD - April 30th 2010, 05:17 AM

My counclor wanted me to try this light thing where you hae to go through everything but whewn you finish after about like 4sessions you shouldn't be having trouble. I didn't do it but tried the first time it was a guy and I just couldn't deal with that...The second person was effing innsane and just jumped into it right away and you CANNOT do that with me hell it took my counclor about 4 sessions just me and her and 4 weeks of iop for me to open up a little. But she said she has sent people to them, and it helped them.

Edit: Its called EMDR...and here is a link about it:www.depression-guide.com/emdr-ptsd.htm

We may shine, we may shatter,
We may be picking up the pieces here on after,
We are fragile, we are human,
We are shaped by the light we let through us,
We break fast, cause we are glass.
Cause we are glass.
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: PTSD - April 30th 2010, 06:54 AM

Thanks. I have heard of EMDR. Maybe I will look into it. Or see what my therapist has to say about it.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Joe

Re: PTSD - May 1st 2010, 04:58 AM

I was never diagnosed with PTSD, but 3 months ago I had a really bad drug trip. For weeks afterwards I kept getting these really bad panic attacks and anxiety attacks. I kept reliving the experience - or feeling I was about to.

From what I'm aware these are sign of PTSD. I'd prefer it if you didn't make a comment on whether you think I had a minor form of it or not. I'm still kind of struggling with the memories of the trip, but not in the way I was.

There are medications that help you with PTSD such as ones to reduce the affects of anxiety and reduce the number of panic attacks.

But what I found tantamount to stopping my anxiety and panic attacks was the thought that I am making myself feel this way. You are doing it, it isn't PTSD its you. I got this advice from someone who suffers from depersonalisation disorder and it really helped me. You shouldn't see whats causing it as an objective thing, but recognise that its you doing it.

I really don't know if this would be helpful with someone diagnosed with PTSD. I didn't go to a doctor. But I really didn't want to leave this unsaid. It might be of some use.

I also recognise that your case is a lot more extreme and worse than mine might ever had been, had I ever gone to a doctor.

Closed Thread