TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Starfish Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Sehnsucht - May 10th 2010, 09:19 AM

Have you ever felt like this?

Like you are completely empty, void of anything real. You feel an intense longing for something more but you don't know what that is. It eats you up inside, it makes you so sad but at the same time the hope you feel for it is the only happy thing you know, or as near to happy as can be.

There is nothing wrong in your life, you have all your family, your health is ok, education is ok. Nothing that jumps out of the page that explains why you feel like this.

You SH because of it because it just hurts so much, the emptiness, the not knowing what you're craving and because of that thinking that you'll never reach it.

Getting so absorbed into fantasy films or books, and when it's over you constantly think about it, wish it was real, to be that something more in your life, to fill the void. Something fantastical which is more than the mundane world can ever be.

The title Sehnsucht, is a German word that roughly translates as an intense longing for something but the translation isn't adequate for the level of feeling it means. There are no other words in any other language like it supposedly.

I feel like i'm going crazy and it all sounds so stupid, so idiotic when there's nothing wrong about my life. Do any of you feel like this or even understand the garbled stuff I've just written?

Do you know how to shake this feeling? I want to be happy but at the same time I don't want to let go of this because it would feel like I'm repressing something or something equally paranoid.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lotus Eater Offline
You are not alone.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Sehnsucht - May 10th 2010, 10:34 AM

I think you make perfect sense.

I have no reason to be unhappy either. I have an alright life. There just seems to be something wrong with my mind. I tend to "grasp" at these fictional worlds too. They give me a parallel universe of sorts to kinda slip into. Well, in my daydreams and stories. Unfortunately, there is no real escape haha.

I think more people feel this way than you would think. Sure, it's not a healthy mindset (in my opinion) but it'll pass. Sometimes, for inconceivable reasons, we feel empty and nothing seems to matter enough then. If you haven't already considered talking to a trained professional about this, I would do so. You could also give it some time. I just tried to wait it out back when things got a little bad, and things don't seem as meaningless or "empty" anymore.

My advice probably isn't going to be of much help . But I'm always open to a chat if you ever have any questions or feel the need to talk

You have me.
Until every last star in the galaxy dies.
You have me.

- Amie Kaufman

NEED TO VENT? CLICK HERE.
Never forget, you are not alone. ♥

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Starfish Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Sehnsucht - May 13th 2010, 09:22 AM

Thanks for your reply

How long have you felt like this? I can't seem to get it to pass and I suppose there is no real motivation to after all without it everything is dim and mundane.

What kind of person would you talk to? I tried counselling for other reasons and I found it to be a uncomfortable experience which afterwards makes you feel more down than before you'd gone in. Although I'm sure some people do benefit from it, perhaps I'm doing it wrong.

Thank you again for your reply, I am glad to know that someone understood and could relate.

Has anyone else felt like this and/or found a way to shake it off?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lotus Eater Offline
You are not alone.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Sehnsucht - May 13th 2010, 09:32 AM

It's no problem at all.

The actual emptiness/no motivation began towards the end of ninth grade. So it's been two years. I did try before that but then I just didn't see the point in doing so.

I find that I can block everything out of my mind when I have to, and make myself do things. Perhaps you could try that? When you have something you need to get done, try 'ordering' (I guess) yourself to do it. Doesn't always work.. but hey.. no wrong in trying. Also, I've never actually been to a therapist myself. I've been to support a friend but never for myself. I find it hard to talk about myself face to face which is why most of my meltdowns seem to occur online. When you're with a therapist, you may feel a certain sort of pressure because you know that they are going to be analysing and judging every last thing you say. (That's how I'd feel anyway). So I would suggest talking to a friend instead. You'd feel more relaxed and there would be less of a pressure to say anything. And while the advice therapists give may seem a little contrived at times, a friend would be honest. And sometimes, it just helps to talk. Even when you expect that it won't help, it does.

So, give that a go and see how it goes. Good luck!

I'm always here if you need a chat.

You have me.
Until every last star in the galaxy dies.
You have me.

- Amie Kaufman

NEED TO VENT? CLICK HERE.
Never forget, you are not alone. ♥

Closed Thread