TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lost_Confused Offline
Wherever life takes me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Nika

I can't remember. - May 14th 2010, 01:09 AM

So for some reason, i apparently do or say things and i don't even remember it later.
I don't know if something is wrong with me, if i have a split personality, or if i just have a bad memory, but i mean, i'd like to remember what happened.
Sometimes it's like my mood changes, and i don't care what happens, i just go with whatever. Or one second i'm all nice and kinda 'n all, then i'm like -glare- Go away, bitch. Some days, i don't remember what happened the day before. I don't know, it's weird.
Help?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: I can't remember. - May 14th 2010, 04:05 AM

Many people don't recall the exact things they did the previous day, they recall most of it and the general things but not all of it, so if your concern is over not recalling every single thing you did, that's not something that's going to happen. You may have a poor memory although you mention your moods changing so one common reason for forgetting things is not paying attention to them or other things interfering at the time. If your mood changes at a specific time, you may not recall exactly what happened especially if you don't pay attention to the events.

If you cant remember a single possible thing, even something noticable or a major event, then that's another story but if you can remember the previous day just not every single thing or not every thing of a particular event, that's usually normal.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lost_Confused Offline
Wherever life takes me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Nika

Re: I can't remember. - May 14th 2010, 07:27 PM

Yeah, i know i won't remember everything that happened, but i don't remember what happened last week, or even my childhood. Like 9/11, i didn't even remember what it was until like a couple years later.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: I can't remember. - May 15th 2010, 06:57 AM

Depending on how far back you mean by childhood, most people don't remember it. They may have little memories here and there or they may know roughly what things happened but not often in great clarity.

For not knowing 9/11, were you informed about the events that took place and why the name "9/11" was given?

For not knowing what happened last week, chances are what you did was similar to previous weeks so the increased similarity is known to somewhat obscure the memories. But how much do you not remember? If you don't know exactly, say what TV show you watched in the morning but do remember going to school, although perhaps not what certain people said, that may be normal.

I'll give an example of myself versus some of my friends. I have a great memory for visual and auditory things (as well as other senses but those are most important in academics). I can remember what certain people, such as my professor said about something several weeks ago and when I go to remember how something looks, the image flashes in front of me as though it's physically there. When it comes to streets, I can often recall how the houses looked even if I've only been down it a few times. That said, if someone tells me an intersection or street name, in many cases I haven't a clue where it is even if I've been down it. Instead, I can picture the route if I'm told how something of it looks and I'll recall images of the streets as though I'm racing down the streets.

Although my visual memory is above average (informally as I've never done official tests), I'm horrible with street names, I'm horrible with knowing addresses even if I know the street very well, hell even for my own street I can try to memorize the addresses but it won't stick. I can describe how the houses look and any front yard decorations very well but if asked about the number, I have no clue.

Despite my memory being above average, if I'm in a class with some of my friends, they may recall something from the book or professor and I'll be clueless, so don't expect to recall every detail, expect to recall the general things that happened.

There are various memory strategies you can use that do help your memory of certain things so try using them if you want.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: I can't remember. - May 17th 2010, 07:49 PM

Since you are my age, I'm going to assume you were about 7 or 8 when 9/11 happened. It wouldn't be highly unusual for you not to have fully comprehended the event until years later, given you were at such a young age. In fact, depending on how good your memory is, you may not recall many details from your childhood at all. For example, my memory dates back to when I was about 18 months (according to my mother after listening to me describe certain occurrences), and yet my 13 year old sister can barely remember fourth grade. It really varies from person to person. There is nothing wrong with not remembering much from your childhood; it's just the way you are.

Like the other user said, if you are drawing absolute blanks (can't remember even getting up or going to school), then that is a call for concern. But not remember every nitty-gritty detail is pretty normal. I couldn't tell you exactly what I did last week, but I could give you a basic idea. If you can't even do that, then I'd recommend talking to someone.

Closed Thread