TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nope Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: No

She doesn't understand that it's not real... - May 14th 2010, 02:05 PM

...and now I'm worried about her!

You see, this girl named Sara, who is my age and that I work with at my school, has social autism, and is also schizophrenic. She sometimes doesn't understand certain things and sometimes doesn't know right from wrong, and it can be a hassle, but it's worth it because she's so sweet.

Yesterday, we had a "mock crash". (If you don't know what that is, it's when some people set up cars to look like they had crashed because of certain things like texting and driving or drinking, etc. It's all fake, but it's very realistic and very, very sad.)

Well in this one, we had six students, all who I know very well, act in it. Four girls, Keri, Mindy, Amanda, and Nicole where in one car. Keri and Amanda were in the front, and Keri was suppose to be texting and driving. Amanda and Nicole were in the back.
In the other car were Dana and Tessa, who are brother and sister. They weren't doing anything wrong other than not having their seat belts on.

As result of the "crash", Keri and Amanda were severely hurt and taken to the hospital in an ambulance. Mindy and Nicole were bloody and bruised but still fine. Tessa was unconscious, and I think she might have broken her neck. Dana, who wasn't wearing his seat belt, had flown through the front windshield and "died".

Obviously, this was all fake. Though it looked very realistic, they even said multiple times that it was a mock crash and that it was fake. But I don't think Sara understood that. During the presentation, she started crying and singing funeral songs (I think one of them was like "Lord please carry his body to your temple in heaven and grant him rest forever more" or something like that.). Also, after the presentation she asked one of the police officers if the other's were ok.

I tried to explain to her that it was all fake and it was to scare drivers into wearing their seat belt and not to text and drive.
I also said that she would see Dana in choir and everyone else in the hallways between classes.
She didn't believe me. She just kept crying and saying "No...he's gone. The rest are in the hospital and Dana is in heaven."
I told her over and over but she wouldn't listen.

In one of my classes with Keri, I told her about this. She was shocked and felt bad, so we went to Sara. Sara hugged Keri and told her that she was happy that she was alright. We thought she had finally gotten it until she asked "Is Amanda still in the hospital?"
I was heartbroken. She still didn't get it!! I was worried sick the rest of the day, because Dana DIDN'T COME BACK TO SCHOOL!! He was excused for the rest of the day because he had the most fake blood all over him and was overly cold after laying facedown on a freezing car in chilly weather.

So she probably thought I was lying to her. But I thought everything would be fine today because Dana came to school. But Sarah didn't come to school.

So now I'm worried sick about this poor girl who thinks one of the nicest people in the whole school is dead...whats worse is that when I talked to her on the phone, she told me Renee (the voice in her head) was the one texting Keri and made her swerve to hit Dana's car.

So now she's probably going into self-destruct mode, where she smacks herself in the head and face thinking that it's hurting "Renee".

What am I suppose to do?!

PS. Sorry for the supersuper long post.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Re: She doesn't understand that it's not real... - May 14th 2010, 03:21 PM

I think a very good option would be for all of those involved in the "wreck" to have a get-together with her at the same time. Then she would see that everyone is obviously okay.
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: She doesn't understand that it's not real... - May 17th 2010, 10:42 AM

I agree with FlyingTrue. I'm not sure what else you could possibly do to convince her; it sounds like you've exhausted all your other options.

If she seems particularly upset and you are worried about her hurting herself, perhaps it would be a good idea to call her parents and let them know the situation. That way, they can keep an eye on her and do what they can to prevent this destructive behavior.

Closed Thread