TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LetsRock Offline
Average Joe

Name: Hanna

Well counselling, that was a joke wasn't it? - May 25th 2010, 12:14 PM

So I had to go to the psychiatrist today because my normal doctor thought I might be suffering from depression (I think Ive suffered from depression the past 3 years). Anyway after the normal questions they ask to get to know you, she goes: "I think you're depressed because you are worried about your future and that's what's interfiring with your sleep" And then I said that i wasnt worried about my future. So on the talk goes and then 10 minutes later she says the same thing again .
Basically the whole thing was a bit weird and made me want to laugh most of the time. It didnt really help that the woman reminded me of one of my old teachers and looked a bit like a barbie, which honestly i dont mind, but i couldnt get that image out of my head. Apart from that she didnt speak the language you speak in switzerland, a dialekt, but a different one, which i understand and can speak but I really dont feel confortable speaking or listening to it.
So yeah i have to go back in a few weeks. I think Im going to cancell that appointment. It all felt like some sort of weird joke to me. I quite like being unhappy, I dont need this "mirror", which is what she says is her function.

But when the night is falling
And you cannot find the light
If you feel your dream is dying
Hold tight
You've got the music in you
Don't let go
You've got the music in you
One dance left
This world is gonna pull through
Don't give up
You've got a reason to live
Can't forget you only get what you give
The New Radicals - You Get What You Give

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Well counselling, that was a joke wasn't it? - May 25th 2010, 02:47 PM

Hi there Hanna,

It seems as though you're not very happy with your new counsellor, and I'm sorry to hear that.
It's okay and it's not too unusual to feel a little uncomfortable or weary of someone that is new to you and someone who you will be talking so openly to. I would suggest that you do voice your opinions, though.
It may be a good idea for you to try and persist with talking to this woman for a few more sessions. It always takes time to connect and bond with people and I think it'd be unfair to judge whether or not it'll work for you if you've only been to one session.
Please do try and talk to the woman about how you feel though, Hanna, there is no harm in that and it may help you to work together better. Of course, if you still don't think it's possible to walk to her, you can always try and ask to talk to someone else.

Take care.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
JackOffJill Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Karyn

Re: Well counselling, that was a joke wasn't it? - May 25th 2010, 03:44 PM

I completely understand how difficult and useless first time therapy sessions can be. I know that for me when I first started seeing my therapist I couldnt stand her! I thought that she was mean and after my first appointment with her I told my mom that I was never going to go back to that woman ever again. Well my mom convinced me to go back, and now I have been seeing the same therapist for about 2 years now.
I think that you should go to your next appointment with this woman and see how it is. Even tell her how you felt about the first appointment. Tell her how you arent sure if this is a good fit and the reasons why. She can then either adjust her style of therapy to better suit you, or she can possibly recommend someone else. I know that right now you dont want to go back to the woman because it seemed like such a joke, but it does take some time to connect with someone. If you dont think that you can give her a second chance, at least make an appointment to try someone else. I personally have seen a lot of different therapists and I wanted to give up looking for someone but it really is worthwhile once you find someone who suits you.
  Send a message via AIM to JackOffJill  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Alexx Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alex

Re: Well counselling, that was a joke wasn't it? - May 25th 2010, 07:40 PM

I'd keep going, at least a few more times. It might improve.
I suffer with severe depression and anxiety disorders, and now I wish more than anything I hadn't given up talking to my counselor. She was odd and told me what I already knew, but it could have changed, as I didn't really give her much to work with.

Closed Thread