TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
munkyrawr Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Panic Attack Maybe? - May 30th 2010, 03:11 AM

I am 19, and I took a tennis/volleyball class last semester for a college course.

It was the tennis portion, it was fun. I didn't talk to anyone, played with whomever I was placed with respectively.

Then once day we were waiting in the gym area and someone said we were playing volleyball. I didn't really panic then. I was more of, "Why are we playing volleyball? We're still in the tennis part... we aren't suppose to start volleyball for another few weeks."

The teacher came in and said we were playing volleyball today because the tennis courts were being used. My heart began racing. Everyone was happy expect me. I stood near the wall. Everyone ran towards the courts and started playing. I began to panic.

I couldn't focus. All I could see are people running everywhere in the courts cheering, laughing, getting into the game. I didn't know what happened. I started to cry. I just wanted them to stop moving and I didn't know why. I kept walking back and forth near the wall alone.

The professor came over and asked if I was going to play, I still had my head down so he couldn't see the tears and shook my head. I went to the bathroom and just started crying.

I calmed down and went back. And it started again. I started to breath in short quick breaths, my chest was sinking, I really just wanted to go home. I started to walk in circles crying.

I went to my professor and he asked what's wrong, all I could remember was saying, "I can't play. I don't want to play. I don't know what to do. We were suppose to play tennis not volleyball. Everyone is moving around and bumping into others. I don't want them to move. Why can't they stay still? Do I have to play with them?"

He tried to calm me down and I don't know. I got up the nerves to go stand in a court.

This wasn't the first time something like that happened but it is very rare it does. I eventually had no problem with volleyball once that part of the semester started.

I told my mom and she said it might of been a panic attack because I don't talk to people. I used to be very shy and I barely talk to people in my classes but I do talk to new people in other places such as cafeterias and malls.

I am sorry for writing a lot, I just have no idea what happened to me that day.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Panic Attack Maybe? - May 30th 2010, 04:22 AM

Hi,
It does sound very similar to a panic attack. Some people have a difficulty with changing routine, do you find that the other "very rare" panic attacks came with a similar change of routine or something that disrupted a pattern that you were used to?
Generally, if these panic attacks are rare, and don't occur to the point that they are disrupting your everyday life learning techniques to calm yourself down will suffice. Try breathing exercises, reciting a sort of mantra in your head, singing your favourite song, whatever seems to take your mind off of things.
If you find that these start occurring more regularly or symptoms last longer than usual, it's interrupting your daily life, etc you may find it helpful to talk to your doctor and see what they would suggest. Either way, seeing a doctor couldn't hurt, if you are truly concerned.

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#3 (permalink)) Old
IfYouOnlyKnew Offline
Cassie
Not a n00b

Name: Cassie

Re: Panic Attack Maybe? - May 30th 2010, 04:44 AM

Hi there!

I have been dealing/coping with an anxiety disorder for just under 5 years now, and although everyone's experiences and symptoms of panic attacks are different, I think it is safe to say that you did experience a panic attack. However, as stated previously, if they happen on the rare occasion, then it is not so bad, but if they do happen more frequently and closer together than you might want to look into going to see your doctor and have it looked into more detail.

My person way of coping is by talking about it to someone. What my fears are, what I am afraid will happen, etc. Huge changes in my routine, even sometimes small, can bring on some anxiety. When you're feeling anxious, try asking yourself "whats really bothering me right now?" and when you come up with an answer, try and cope/deal with it. Once you can pinpoint what's making you nervous, you can start tackling it and overcoming it!

I hope this advice helped, PM me anytime and goodluck!

Perhaps we all give the best of our hearts uncritically;
to those who hardly think about us in return.

it's not that we want to die; it's that we want to live
  Send a message via MSN to IfYouOnlyKnew  
Closed Thread