TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lifeislost Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Steph

Anti-depressants - May 30th 2010, 08:14 PM

My psychologist has been trying to convince me to go on anti-depressants for the past year now, and I say no every time.
Just wanted to get your opinions on the pros and cons of them.

I turn my head to the east… I don’t see nobody by my side
I turn my head to the west… still nobody in sight
So I turn my head to the north, swallow that pill that they call pride
The old me is dead and gone, but the new me will be alright

(#2 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Re: Anti-depressants - May 30th 2010, 08:41 PM

Id say start the medication, (most probably prozac) let it get into your system, ( usually 4 weeks) to see wether it has any effect.

If it deosnt work, try upping the dosage, or another anti depressant.

Different meds work diffrerntly for different people.

Just give them a try, you never know you might feel better

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  Send a message via MSN to i_am_me_again  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Anti-depressants - May 30th 2010, 08:46 PM

They're going to have the possibility of side-effects and beneficial effects just like any other substance you ingest into your body so that's a pro and con. A con though is that you won't see results when you take them right away. For example, if you take Aspirin, you'll feel the effects in less than 1 day but for anti-depressants, although they do begin affecting you the moment they're ingested, wait about 2 weeks for the effects to emerge unless you're incredibly sensitive or have a severe adverse reaction. Some people hope they will work in a few days but that's not going to happen. Another con is for some people the anti-depressants are not good enough and may need to change medications. For example, some may make you feel worse because there are chances of suicidal ideations (generally if the person is already experiencing them though).

Pros are they can work in tandem with psychotherapy, which has been shown to be incredibly effective also, about the same effeciency. Without psychotherapy they still do work.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Anti-depressants - May 30th 2010, 09:18 PM

I would personally say that they're worth a try if you're depressed as they can get you to the stage where the depression is less overpowering and so you are able to focus more on working on the causes of your depression, which means that by treating the symptoms you have the time and energy to work on treating the causes. A lot of the time antidepressants have a huge list of possible side-effects but I have only occasionally had negative side-effects from them. The pros and cons that I have experienced are:

Pros:
  • they get you to a point where the depression isn't dictating your life.
  • They can make it a lot easier to cope with your feelings.
  • A lot of antidepressants can work for other mental health problems as well, such as anxiety.
  • Once you find one that works for you, they can help to give you your life back.
  • In my case with duloxetine, I am currently finding it so much easier to get up in the mornings and do the things that I need to do.

Cons:
  • They have potential side effects (ie. weight gain/loss, they react with alocohol which means you're alcohol thresholds will be lowered, when you first start taking them they can make you feel suicidal).
  • If you run out of them and stop taking them suddenly, sometimes you can get withdrawal symptoms.
  • No-one really wants to have to take medication to make them feel "normal" (although once you get to the point where you can work on the causes, you will probably be able to come off the meds fairly soonish).
  • I have found that having more than a couple of weeks worth of my meds makes me more likely to overdose as I now don't keep any other meds (such as painkillers), although I was already very suicidal, so I have to visit my doctor every coupld of weeks to get a new prescription for my antidepressants.
  • Sometimes they can make you feel worse before you feel better.
  • If you have undiagnosed bipolar disorder, antidepressants can make your manic episodes worse.
  • It often take a few tries to find one that works for you, which can be demoralising.

Hope I've helped a bit
x

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Tiny_93 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Z

Re: Anti-depressants - May 30th 2010, 09:26 PM

Anti - depressants are different for everyone. They will most probably start you on prozac if you do decide to take them, and then if that's not the right one for you, then they'll change it.

I'm on anti depressants now. It's been almost 7 weeks on these new meds now, and slowly, but surely, they're beginning to kick in. Give them time, but remember, they only treat symptoms not actual causes!

They help you manage to cope with your feelings, and depression, but they can sometimes make you feel worse. you just need to find the right type for you

SH Free since:
22/12/09

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Anti-depressants - May 30th 2010, 09:29 PM

Like all medication there's the issue of side effects, and what ones you may/may not experience all depends on your body. In most cases, taking an anti-depressant and feeling generally better; in terms of your mental health, is often worth the risk of a few minor side effects here or there until you find the dosage and/or medication that is the best for you.
Antidepressants along with therapy, have proven results. They help as a combined therapy more often than each individual treatment does, and together it has shown less relapse potential in the long run.
Ultimately, this is a decision that is up to you, and I understand the hesitation. I was the same way with accepting medication for my anxiety, but often in the case of mental health issues, the pros of medication will outweigh the cons.

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Anti-depressants - June 2nd 2010, 04:12 PM

Hey there Steph,

There are many pros and cons of anti-depressants and there are many different types of anti-depressants that work in different ways. If you are wanting to consider taking medication, then it would be best to talk to your psychologist about anti-depressants and which you could be taking.

Personally, anti-depressants have completely changed me for the better. In the first two months of starting fluoxetine, I admit that I had the worst time of my life, with constant nausea, anxiety, paranoia and increased suicidal feelings, however, afterwards, they have really paid off. Of course, anti-depressants are in no way the cure for depression or mental-illness or other psychological problems, but they can give you a little push forward and help you, if you are suited to them.

Take care.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
JackOffJill Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Karyn

Re: Anti-depressants - June 3rd 2010, 04:55 AM

I think that trying anti-depressants would be a really positive thing. Much like what everyone else said, everyone reacts differently to different medications. I myself had a LOT of trouble find the meds that were right for me. I probably was put on 30 different medications (or more) and it took about 2 years before something that worked was found for me. The reason for that for me is because at first I was diagnosed with depression, then they thought I was bipolar, and then they went back to the diagnosis of depression, and now I am diagnosed with an unknown mood disorder. Because of all that, my body reacted badly to many anti-depressants- they made me shake like crazy and I would feel worse on them. But finally when something was found it has been AMAZING! Honestly it was worth the struggle trying to find something that worked. I currently am taking Cymbolta and it really has helped keep me more stable over the past 3 years that I have been on it.

Taking anti-depressants can be scary at first and it can be very frustrating because sometimes you have to try a bunch of different medications before one is found that works for you. And it does take a while before the meds kick in so it can end up being a long process for some people. But honestly, as long as you are willing to fight through it all, and are willing to have the patients- it can be wonderful and meds can really have a huge impact on your mood and making you feel better.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to PM me. I dont know about all meds, but I know about a lot of them due to my experiences and friends' experiences.

"Sometimes you have to kind of die inside in order to rise from your own ashes and believe in yourself and love yourself and become a new person." -Gerard Way
  Send a message via AIM to JackOffJill  
Closed Thread