TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
pixiesticks Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Aleisha! [Gabe]

HOCD...but opposite? - June 3rd 2010, 02:47 AM

If you don't know, HOCD is Homosexual Obsessive Compulsion Disorder. It's basically a form of OCD where one believes and obsesses over the fact that they might be gay (& they are actually straight).

I've self diagnosed myself with OCD (& I'm fully aware I should get professional help to actually see if this is what I have), but I was wondering if I could also have this....see I'm pretty sure I'm a lesbian, but I always keep thinking I could be straight, kinda obsess over it too I suppose...

So basically, could I actually be straight and have extreme HOCD, or just have sort of opposite HOCD?

I know they are both extremely plausible, but which do you think would be more plausible? (Also, sorry if this is in any way confusing :S)

Even the darkest night will end, and the sun will rise.
-Les Miserables

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: HOCD...but opposite? - June 3rd 2010, 07:42 AM

It could simply be you're confused on your gender identity or sexual orientation. I'd also question the situation in which you live, such as philosophical/religious beliefs of your family, immediate friends and yourself. But to answer your question, you're basing it on you having OCD so the basis for your question of HOCD is an uncertain one. My answer for this one issue is forget about HOCD, ignore it. Get a diagnosis of OCD or something else first, then work from there. Is it possible? Sure it is but then again, it's also possible you have a gender identity disorder, confusion and stress regarding the beliefs you and others share, etc... .

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: HOCD...but opposite? - June 3rd 2010, 02:17 PM

^^ I agree, self-diagnosis will just wreck your head. There's really no need to label your sexuality either; just accept your tastes for what they are. If you're unsure about whether you're straight of lesbian, then its best to keep your options open until you're certain of yourself.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Banksy Offline
The one and only
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Re: HOCD...but opposite? - June 3rd 2010, 02:27 PM

Youre doing the same as me xD

I think you need to let go Youre sexuality doesnt matter!!! just do what comes natural hun!! if you like some1 just do what you need too!

I constantly think of weather im transeuxal or not but in the end you have to take a risk and see if you like it hehe, (i did). really you just need to talk to some1 it will really help.

remember tho, nobody knows what you are OTHER THAN YOU!!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Adam Offline
Stand in the rain...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Re: HOCD...but opposite? - June 3rd 2010, 09:50 PM

Hey there,

I respect you so much for getting the courage to post this! It can sometimes be quite hard to talk about our issues and problems to other people.

I really don't think that a self diagnosis will help much. If you think that you have OCD or any different strains, you should go and see a medical professional who can help you more. It's natural to see a set of symptoms and try to fit yourself into all of the categories. OCD is only OCD when it takes up a significant amount of your time per day, and starts to take over your life.

Everybody experiences some OCD symptoms, but that doesn't exactly mean we all have OCD! I also don't want you to get too confused with "HOCD" and sexuality issues. "HOCD" really only exists when you have irrational fears that you are homosexual. Not that you think you might be!

I really think that you should go speak to a professional And good luck!

Katrina's NERD.
[/color] [/b][/color] [/right]

Closed Thread