TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AmberS9109 Offline
I'll Be There For You =)
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Amber

Unhappy I want to be able to watch scary movies. - July 4th 2010, 05:15 PM

The title says it all. This is mainly being posted because of a new movie that came out; Paranormal Activity 2. I watched the first one, and it scared the hell out of me, to say the least. I couldn't sleep right for months. The night we watched it, I woke up screaming my boyfriend's name at least 5 times.
I'd like to know tips and tricks on how to be able to watch scary movies like that and be able to sleep and not cover my eyes during the movie also... does anyone know what I can do?

Two is better than one.
Amber + Stephen ♥ 11.15.09
  Send a message via AIM to AmberS9109 Send a message via MSN to AmberS9109 Send a message via Yahoo to AmberS9109  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Elliotte

Re: I want to be able to watch scary movies. - July 4th 2010, 10:03 PM

Hurr. The only thing I can think to suggest is to remind yourself over and over that it's only a movie and that no harm can possibly come of it. If you don't sleep with a night light, but have problems with nightmares, it might be something worth investing in, as night lights can not only help provide a feeling of safety but they're also effective in the prevention of night terrors. Other than that, I'm stuck for ideas. I have the same reaction to scary movies, therefore I stay away from anything that remotely resembles horror. I'm terrified of my own shadow, haha. But that's who I am, and that's who some people are. Some people can overcome their fears and paranoia about scary movies (a lot of the time due to desensitisation; the more scary movies you watch, the more you see no harm comes from watching them, the less scared you become until you're not scared at all), and some people just aren't cut out for the horror genre.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: I want to be able to watch scary movies. - July 4th 2010, 10:17 PM

Try to disassociate yourself with the movie. << I'm not really sure if that sentence makes sense, sorry. But I mean, sometimes when my friends and I are watching movies here something scary happens, we think something like 'well, this would only happen in America, and we don't live in America, so it's never going to happen to us', or 'well if I heard a scary nnoise in the attic I would NEVER go up and see what it was, so this will never happen to me',or whatever. Or watch the parodies, like Scary Movie I bet it'll be no time until they take off Paranormal Activity...You could also, if you have the DVD, try watching some of the making of it....it can help reassure you that they're just actors acting in a movie and it's not real.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: I want to be able to watch scary movies. - July 5th 2010, 08:31 PM

Re-assure yourself that it is all fake, even if it is based on a true story (and Hollywood probably glamorized it so it's quite different). Nobody is killed, nobody is affected and it's all just very well designed with good acting and choreography. Generally, I find many of the scary movies to be funny and laugh because when I'm watching it, lots of it for many movies is just so ridiculous or it's so well-known what will happen. However, there are times when the suspense builds and something appears out of nowhere that surprises me.

If this doesn't work, then the only other advice I could give is to watch more scary movies in order to desensitize yourself to the fears you get so you overcome them. Before you watch them though, you learn some techniques for relaxation, however, if it gets to a point where you cannot handle the movie anymore, then pause it or walk out for a small break (just say it's for a bathroom break if in a movie theater). If you haven't watched many scary movies, then perhaps you're not used to them. For example, the movie The Grudge (lol), when I was watching it at home in the dark with my mother, she was freaking out while I was rolling on the floor laughing my ass off. We had to pause the movie so she could leave and so I could get more popcorn and try to stop laughing so I could hear the movie. She has not been exposed to much gore, violence, death, horror and such real or fake while I have and never was affected negatively.

Closed Thread