TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Elliotte

Can mood stabilisers have a reverse affect? - July 5th 2010, 11:25 AM

I've been on the generic of Lamictal (lamotrogine) for around a year and a half. I'm finally on a treatable dose. It took the full year and a half to build up to this point based on the fact I reacted so sensitively to each increase. Several months of that was spent with an amazing psychiatrist, who was worth every bloody penny of the 400.00$ sessions. She was spot on with her prescriptions, took meticulous notes and constantly referred back to them, often told me she wanted to see me succeed without medication and when we couldn't afford a medication she prescribed, she provided us with free samples on a monthly basis until we could. But when I started university, I took advantage of the student insurance; though she'd once been covered by it, we found out she no longer was, and so I started seeing a new psychiatrist on campus.

I wouldn't say he was as good as my previous psychiatrist, but he did the job, wrote the prescriptions and helped me with dosages and with weaning off medication (I was originally on five, and am now down to one). However, he recently wrecked a relationship we've been building since September. We were supposed to have an hour session before we broke for the summer. He noted from a previous session that he wanted the full hour to discuss anxiety and auditory and visual hallucinations that I'd been experiencing. Though he noted on the slip of paper that I handed to the receptionist that he wanted a full hour, and though I told her it was to be scheduled for the full hour, she put me in for half hour. I nearly cried when my psychiatrist told me of the mistake, but I refuse to cry in front of others and especially men. Even still, we talked about the possibility of scheduling another appointment, and so I had the receptionist pencil me in for Wednesday. Safe to say I couldn't make it, so I phoned the receptionist to cancel the appointment and to talk about the possibility of a phone consultation. She put me through to my psychiatrist, and I told him a phone consultation was better than nothing because the issues really were affecting me. He told me that I seemed to be doing "a lot better than at the beginning of the year, so he'd rather not do the consultation and wait until September (he left Thursday and is off on holiday until Sep.)." Stung, I snapped that that'd be fine, but honestly, in the entire time I've been seeing him, I have never requested a phone consultation to make up for an appointment I couldn't make and I have never told him I have a serious issue I need to discuss. The fact he seemed to dismiss my feelings hurt and whether it's irrational or not, I feel very, very betrayed.

The appointment we had Monday, however, he decided to up my current medication a full 25mg (I'm hoping that's allowed to say), and since then, I've honestly been having quite a bit of difficulty. I've been experiencing violent mood swings that have been impacting my relationships. I've flip-flopped between severe hostility and suicidal depression, both of which seem to be triggered by anxiety and/or flat-out panic. My anxiety levels in general are difficult to cope with, but I've been both ashamed and terrified to mention them to my psychiatrist, who consistently praises me on the progress I've made depression-wise; I have a number of issues with men, and because of these issues, that I'd rather not get into, I'm terrified of disappointing him, even if rationally, I know it's his job to help me overcome the problems I'm experiencing. However, I also feel as though the 25mg jump might have something to do with my moods/anxiety; increased levels of anxiety, and an increased number of panic attacks, occurred when I took too big a jump on the Lamictal in the beginning, which is when my previous psychiatrist said I reacted very sensitively to the medication, more sensitive than most, and that we needed to take it slow. I've also been experiencing a decreased libido, to the point it's been completely eliminated. I normally masturbate 1-3 times per day; I've masturbated once in the past 10 days, and it was very forced (I had a hard time achieving climax). This is very, very abnormal for me, as I normally have a very high sex drive.

So I guess my question is, is it worth it making an appointment with the psychiatrist who's filling in for my regular psychiatrist whilst he's on his summer holiday? Or should I stick it out until September? I'll be gone from 17th of Aug through the 9th of September, so I'm not even sure I could get an appointment (though I believe if I mention it's somewhat of an emergency situation, which I feel it might be with the way it's been affecting me so dramatically, they'll fit me in), but is it worth a shot? Also, in regards to anxiety, this is a question I'll obviously raise with my psychiatrist, but is there such a thing as non-addictive anti-anxiety medication? My previous psychiatrist, because of my background and family history, did not want to prescribe me anything addictive or anything I could easily form a dependency on. She prescribed me Ativan for emergencies only but I ended up taking it regularly for anxiety. After this was discovered, along with an overdose that nearly landed me in the hospital, I was no longer "allowed" to take the Ativan. I've also been on Zoloft and it did absolutely nothing for me. So I was curious as to if any of you are on an affective anti-anxiety medication that's relatively non-addictive?

Thank you for reading through this post. I realise it was a long read. =/

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Silverseven Offline
Average Joe

Re: Can mood stabilisers have a reverse affect? - July 9th 2010, 06:32 AM

Yes being a person whos been perscribed so many anti-ds and mood stabalizers , i know for a fact that they can have a reverse effect on certain people. Btw you sound a lot like me, please keep in mind that ur not alone here. =]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Steph-O
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stephanie

Re: Can mood stabilisers have a reverse affect? - July 9th 2010, 11:13 PM

ive never been on a mood stabalizer but i have been on antidepressants and they made me insane... im sorry things arent working out with your counsilor. And you are not alone, I'm sure many people have had the opposite of the desired reaction.

Like a diet of the mind, I just choose not to indulge certain appetites; like my appetite for patterns; perhaps my appetite to imagine and to dream. - A Beautiful Mind

I met Steven October 3rd, 2008. We've been practically inseperable ever since. ♥
  Send a message via AIM to darkinnocenteyes Send a message via Skype™ to darkinnocenteyes 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
JackOffJill Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Karyn

Re: Can mood stabilisers have a reverse affect? - July 10th 2010, 02:35 AM

Anti-anxiety medication can have an opposite effect. I would try to get in to see someone soon especially since the meds are making you have suicidal thoughts. You shouldnt have to deal with that until September. As for anti-anxiety medication thats nonaddictive- Ive been on a bunch of different meds and one that comes to mind is Neurontin (Gabapentin). Its actually an anti-seizure medication but it works for anxiety. A lot of anti-seizure medications are used for anxiety in fact.

I hope that you are able to get through this. But I think you should see the doctor even though its not your regular doctor since the change in meds obviously has effected you negatively.

"Sometimes you have to kind of die inside in order to rise from your own ashes and believe in yourself and love yourself and become a new person." -Gerard Way
  Send a message via AIM to JackOffJill  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Elliotte

Re: Can mood stabilisers have a reverse affect? - July 11th 2010, 06:55 AM

Thank you everyone.

I have an appointment Friday. They made it on Tuesday but again, did not put me in for an hour. I asserted that I needed that hour yesterday (I had a health appointment, and the psychiatric centre is across the way from the health centre) and so they moved me to Friday. Here's to hoping all goes well.

As for neurontin, I have tried it and had absolutely no affect on me whatsoever, even in high doses. But I will be speaking to this psychiatrist about it and my concerns about being put on an addictive medication.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Can mood stabilisers have a reverse affect? - July 11th 2010, 05:36 PM

I have a friend who takes Xanax for his Anxiety, and he hasn't become addicted. But I don't know if thats normal, or if he's just different from other users. So that may be one to consider..?

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

Closed Thread