TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ThePunkAlien Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Arrow Thinking in the positive - July 8th 2010, 05:05 AM

Yeah, I'm not going to lie it's not great having a mental disorder. Hell, I hate that I have S.A.D. Sometimes it makes me feel horrible and like a fucking alien living among humans that are difficult to understand. Yet again, not being completely attached gives a certain strength to it - if you rarely/never attach that much with everything in you - it's rare to get hurt upon leaving. You can pick up and leave whenever you want. So while it brings faults into my life, there's an angle where it could give me strength in some situations.

I started this thread after re-watching PERCY JACKSON and the inspirational idea that sometimes disorders can give us hidden strength. That a curse can also be a gift. I think this might be a healthier way of looking at it and coming to terms/accepting it.

So, what's your problem and what strengths can you see it possibly giving you in the long run from having to deal with it?

"Maybe I just like people. Maybe sexuality isn't one thing or the other. Maybe it's just something that's shifting and moving. I just know I'm not thinking man or woman."
- SHAMELESS.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Eljoria Offline
I'mAlwaysHereHelping. (:
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jade

Re: Thinking in the positive - July 8th 2010, 08:40 AM

My problem is that I'm deaf and I just hate it sometimes as people think they're dumb.. Strengths.. that I have life.. i've got important people and as long as i got someone by my side, nothing else matters.

Jay

Live the life.
  Send a message via MSN to Eljoria  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
JackOffJill Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Karyn

Re: Thinking in the positive - July 8th 2010, 12:02 PM

Ok Josh you are like my new best friend hahahaha. Seriously you took the words out of my mouth in the first few sentences you said about feeling like an alien living among humans that are difficult to understand. I also have S.A.D. so everything you said really hit home for me.

I love how you are trying to get people to see their disorders as a blessing instead of just as a curse. I mean I know that I am thankful for everything Ive been through because Im stronger now, Im a better person now. Also because I am going into social work so I can relate to more clients and can help people better because I experienced, and still experience, issues. Without all my mental illnesses I wouldnt be able to help the people that I do.

So thank you for this thread- its re-reminded me of the blessings that have come out of my illnesses like S.A.D. Also thanks for making me feel like Im not crazy for feeling like an alien haha.

"Sometimes you have to kind of die inside in order to rise from your own ashes and believe in yourself and love yourself and become a new person." -Gerard Way
  Send a message via AIM to JackOffJill  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Thinking in the positive - July 8th 2010, 10:15 PM

Well, although I'm not actually diagnosed with anything...

The negatives are that my emotions and moods are messed, I lose friends, people don't understand, I hate myself, and its just, gah, hard to explain, hard to socialize, I SH to deal with things since I can't handle it, all sorts of crap.

However, on the plus side, my problems give me inspiration sometimes to make art. Sure, my art is mediocre, but I can at least feel creative when I have something to vent on a canvas or sketchpad.

Not to mention, I've learned better how to determine good friends from bad, since the people who stick by me through all my ups and downs are obviously dedicated to me and my well-being, like my long-distance boyfriend.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

Closed Thread