TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child and Youth Care Worker
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

I don't know if my prozac works - July 11th 2010, 08:11 PM

I have no idea if my medication is working or not. I'm on 20 MG of Prozac, and it's supposed to calm down my anxiety and my depression, as well as make my moods a little bit less swingy.

I'm on vacation...camping in BC, and I have felt pretty decent. But isn't that because all I've had to do while out here is lay in my pink hammock and rest? (yes, I'm laying in it right now. and its so nice). I've been on the meds for a few months now, and the side effect of being tired all the time has worn off. But is it working? I still have anxiety attacks (mostly at night) and I still have really strong visualizations of bad things happening, and I still feel an empty space where my happy should be. I am happy at times out here, but there are also a lot of times where I feel like I just don't feel anything. I have had urges to cut, although I haven't done anything because I can't cut while I'm in a trailer with my family around me all the time.

so yeah...I don't know if the meds are really making a difference. I can't tell. I mean EVERYONE has good days and bad days...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: I don't know if my prozac works - July 11th 2010, 10:46 PM

There's a rule of thumb for anti-depressants of it taking roughly 2 weeks to notice the changes. The neurochemical changes start much earlier but they aren't always felt right away. The beneficial effects take roughly 2 weeks to feel. In that time, depending on the severity of the side-effects, they will be less noticable because you've become tolerant to the medication. If your dose increases, then you'll feel the side-effects of tiredness and other ones you initially felt.

Since you've been on them for a few months, the only thing I can think of is perhaps you may need the dosage changed by visiting your psychiatrist. But do not stop taking them suddenly without seeing the doctor or adjust the dosage yourself. You mention not feeling anything, which could be a side-effect but is your depression still present the same it initially was or getting worse? You may want to try psychotherapy once you're back from vacation as I'd agree with not wanting to see a therapist while on vacation. You could try psychotherapeutic techniques on yourself or do certain things on vacation that would make you happy.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child and Youth Care Worker
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Re: I don't know if my prozac works - July 11th 2010, 11:20 PM

My next therapy appointment is on the 30th, and my next appointment with my psychiatrist is going to be in august, so I will just keep monitoring my emotions until then.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: I don't know if my prozac works - July 12th 2010, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverChanged View Post
My next therapy appointment is on the 30th, and my next appointment with my psychiatrist is going to be in august, so I will just keep monitoring my emotions until then.
It's good to monitor how you are feeling but I don't know if you do this or not, but consider the context. It sounds obvious but many people on here and others whom I know (and you probably know a fair share of people too) don't really think about the context and only act on impulse and emotions. So if you feel very sad or very angry, note that down but also note the context as the emotions you may feel, even if extreme, may be normal for the context and not due to your diagnosis.

Closed Thread