TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
falling_x Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Vicx

Nightmares and Dreams - a guide - July 17th 2010, 01:46 PM

Hello everyone!

I've noticed that a lot of members have been having lots of interesting dreams and nightmares recently. I thought that I could be of some help by just adding this little post about what nightmares are and how you can help yourself get rid of these nightmares.

Two very quick things - I am not a professional by any means, most of the stuff I write here is either out of one of two dream dictionaries, the internet and personal experience.
Secondly, I used to have terrible nightmares as a child, and even now still get them occasionally. So the tips I give will not be 100% at getting rid of all your nightmares. I know that they work for me, but they may not work for everyone.

Nightmares - What are they?

Simple answer: dreams that are scary! (everyone knows that, Vicx!)
Actually, they are a lot more than that. They allow us to experience emotions or situations that for some reason, we cannot experience during the day (or waking hours).

It's like our sub-conscience is playing with the idea "What if ...?" and because we know that we are asleep, we will not come to any harm. We always wake up.

The thing about nightmares is that they are trying to tell you something. Find out what you are worrying about or trying to avoid and sort it out during your waking hours.

Common Nightmares and Meanings

There are too many common nightmares to list, but I'll give you some of the very common ones (or at least what I consider to be). Also, these meanings are very global, your dreams are trying to tell you something, but only you know the true meaning behind them. Use these as a guide.

Being chased This is an easy one to figure out. You are running away from something. What situation? What emotion? Or even Who? are you running away from or avoiding? The answer could be as simple as a parent (after an argument) or as complex as your best friend's new boyfriend's ex's birthday party ...

If you are being chased in your nightmares/dreams best thing to do is to turn around and face it (I'll give tips on how you can do this at the end). That way, you know what it is that is scaring you and you can deal with it during your waking hours.

Dying Yes dying in dreams is scary. But it's not actually you who's dying. You can't die in your dreams - it's just not possible. So what is it trying to tell you?

Death in dreams shows a death (or the (coming to an) end) of a situation/ emotion / or even an aspect of yourself. (I forgot to mention that the sub-conscience likes puns and word play!) So, when you wake up afterwards, try to think "What was coming to an end?" Was it an aspect of yourself? A friendship?

Being Murdered Now, depending on where you look, depends on the meaning. Everywhere I have looked has had a different take on this and, I myself have not had this in my own dreams, so I am not 100% sure on this one.

Being murdered in your dreams could show one of many things.
Someone close to you is trying to take something away from you - this could be an aspect / hobby/ friend.
You are trying to disconnect from the real world and/or your emotions.
Or it could be showing you that you are not using all of your talents.

Murder in General Again, many different takes on this one.
The main one is a lot of unresolved childhood anger, particularity if you are the one doing the murder.

Being Naked in Public Everyone has had this one at some point in their lives. This is the fear of "bearing it all" being shown.
If you are naked and no one notices, the likely-hood is that you realise that it might be an issue that only you are making a big deal out of.

So you know now what they mean, or rather could mean, now what?

When I was younger, and before I became interested in dreams and trying to understand them, I had a couple of years where I was having horrible graphic nightmares nearly every night. One night as I was getting ready for bed I thought about it and said out loud, "I don't want to remember any nightmares tonight!" I slept, but still had nightmares. The following night I did the same; said out loud "I don't want nightmares tonight!" I did this every night for a month (very nearly) and I went down from having two or three nightmares a night to having one or two a week.

I was always aware that I had them. I'd wake up in a cold sweat, but I wouldn't remember them. In fact I'd be unaware that I was having them at all until I woke up. Even now, I rarely remember my nightmares, but I am getting a better understanding of them, so try to remember them a little more nowadays!!

What else can I do?

There are lots of things you can do! One of my favourite things to do (and this takes practise - even I'm not great at it yet and have been trying for months now) is manipulate your dreams. Remember - they are your dreams, you're in control of them. To do this, you need to first realise you are dreaming. Then you can have lots of fun, changing that stone wall into jelly, or turn around with a sword / flame-thrower / whatever and battle (and defeat) the monsters that are chasing you!

Write everything down as soon as you wake up. This will help you to understand your dreams more. And it will also help you to notice when you are in a dream. You'll find that the same patterns and meanings come up a lot, this is normal.

Finally, they are your dreams. You can manipulate them anyway you choose. And only you know the meaning to them.

Hope this helps a little - my inbox is always open - I love discussing dreams with people! And thanks for taking your time to read it.
falling_x

PS - I didn't realise that it would be this long!

So much for that idea ...

Want a chat? Get in touch ...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Nightmares and Dreams - a guide - July 19th 2010, 02:30 PM

I have night mares an found this reallly quite intresting!
Thanksss! :]

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: Nightmares and Dreams - a guide - July 20th 2010, 09:32 PM

I am stuck in nightmare land at the moment. I've had one every night for nearly a month and they're driving me mad. Unfortunately nothing you posted really relates....but I'm trying to figure 'em out anyway. It's the lack of proper sleep that gets me :/

(#4 (permalink)) Old
falling_x Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Nightmares and Dreams - a guide - July 21st 2010, 11:50 AM

That was only a rough guide - if I were to put down everything I know then I'd be thrown off for spamming!! lol

If you want to you can PM and I'll do some research for you, or you can post them here and we can talk about it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
electro Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Nightmares and Dreams - a guide - July 21st 2010, 02:43 PM

I've always been plagued with nightmares - I generally don't have them every night just a few nights a week but those nights I wake up after each dream shaking go back to sleep and have another, different one. The problem is my dreams really disturb me, the things that happen in them are the sort of things an author would tip-toe around they just aren't normal and I worry about what that says about the kind of person I am. The things I do in dreams shocks me deeply and I could never talk to anyone about them (I tried once with my dad and he just looked worried) but I don't know what to do... I can't help what happens in my dreams but I can't deal with them alone either!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
falling_x Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Nightmares and Dreams - a guide - July 21st 2010, 03:00 PM

Hey there electro!

The actions in your dreams are telling you something about your life as it is now. I definitely wouldn't be shocked by anything you told me about your dreams. I've talked through my rather odd and strange ones and some rather shocking ones from family too.

Your nightmares are just exaggerations of what you feel in waking hours.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Rosefire9 Offline
Tree-Hugging Dirt Worshiper :)
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: April Nicole Jones

Re: Nightmares and Dreams - a guide - July 21st 2010, 07:26 PM

Thanks for posting this!
I just had a dream last night that the world was coming to an end and every state in the US was going to sink into the ocean and everybody would drown. It was scary as hell! And at first I found nothing in your guide that related until I read the part in Death about things coming to an end. In my dream, the world was coming to an end, therefore something in my actual life must be coming to an end. I just have to figure out exactly what it is.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: Nightmares and Dreams - a guide - July 21st 2010, 08:58 PM

I had the weirdest dream last night that I was walking down an abandoned sea-front amusement park...it was in the town where I live but also not, if you get what I mean. It was all dried out and barren and boarded up, and I was with this kid who was my little brother [A brother keeps appearing in my dreams, sometimes older, sometimes younger and once a twin, but my sister never shows] We wander down the seafront and meet some tourists who want a hotel, and I tell them it's all dead and gone, and then we find this pool guarded by two guys in suits. my brother jumps in and I look at the water and it loks gross, so i pull him out. I know that something is wrong but I cant place my finger on it, then I wake up.

It was freaaaaky. I've had some horrificly weird ones recently. Think Jurassic park meets flaming tigers, burn victims, monsters in the shadows and you're halfway there. So strange.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
falling_x Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Nightmares and Dreams - a guide - July 22nd 2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosefire9 View Post
Thanks for posting this!
I just had a dream last night that the world was coming to an end and every state in the US was going to sink into the ocean and everybody would drown. It was scary as hell! And at first I found nothing in your guide that related until I read the part in Death about things coming to an end. In my dream, the world was coming to an end, therefore something in my actual life must be coming to an end. I just have to figure out exactly what it is.
I am just gonna copy and paste from this site:

Quote:
World

To dream that it is the end of the world, suggests that you are under a tremendous level of stress. You may be feeling vulnerable or helpless in some situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-am-not-a-robot View Post
I had the weirdest dream last night that I was walking down an abandoned sea-front amusement park...it was in the town where I live but also not, if you get what I mean. It was all dried out and barren and boarded up, and I was with this kid who was my little brother [A brother keeps appearing in my dreams, sometimes older, sometimes younger and once a twin, but my sister never shows] We wander down the seafront and meet some tourists who want a hotel, and I tell them it's all dead and gone, and then we find this pool guarded by two guys in suits. my brother jumps in and I look at the water and it loks gross, so i pull him out. I know that something is wrong but I cant place my finger on it, then I wake up.

It was freaaaaky. I've had some horrificly weird ones recently. Think Jurassic park meets flaming tigers, burn victims, monsters in the shadows and you're halfway there. So strange.
Again from the same site as above. Water is your emotions.

Quote:
Brother

To see your brother in your dream, symbolizes some aspect of your relationship with him. It can also serve to remind you that someone in your waking life has certain characteristics or behaviors similar to your brother.

If you do not have a brother and dream that you have one, then he may symbolize characteristics that you need to acknowledge within yourself. The brother in your dream can also be synonymous with a close friend or buddy. Brother also has religious implications and thus represents spiritual issues. Consider also the familiar phrase "big brother is watching you" which indicate that your dream has to deal with issues of authority and oppression.
Does that make any sense to either of you?

(#10 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: Nightmares and Dreams - a guide - July 23rd 2010, 11:25 AM

I guess it could refer to one of my friends - I've always said he was close enough to be my brother and I've recently been trying to convince him not to move away - maybe that's what the pool thing is about...
Or it was just my bizzarre imagination playing up again

Closed Thread