TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LostInsideofMe Offline
Shadow-in-the-Background
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Britta

Am I in denial?? (Interesting, but kind of long) - July 24th 2010, 07:15 AM

Ok, so here we go.

My family swears that I have OCD, but I don't know. It's something that is really serious for some people and I don't think it's all that bad for me. They keep telling me, though, so maybe I am in denial?? I think I'm just goofy. Here are some of the things that I do or that bug me, etc.

1. Doors being cracked or halfway open.
2. I vacumm my room every other day. I got limited to that.
3. I have to wear an undershirt (not that weird, though).
4. My shirts can't go over the back pocket buttons on my jeans.
5. My room has only a bed, night table, and TV stand. I can't stand any more.
6. Everything has a particular place in my room. If it gets moved, I can't get it to go exactly where it belonged so I have to rearrange everything.
7. I always correct grammatical errors that I notice (I don't always catch them - but people get annoyed).
8. I can't go to sleep until I clean my room completely.
9. I make my bed every time I get off of it.
10. I have a preference for odd numbers. Even numbers of things bother me, also, certain odd numbers like 9 bother me.
11. I always touch my thumb to every finger when I am thinking of words. For example, when I'm thinking about the word "pennies", I'd touch my pinky for P, ring finger for E, middle finger for N, index for N, then back to my pinky for I, and so forth.
12. I can't stand the sound of heart monitors, they make me SO nervous.
13. I will always count down with a timer. I sit there, watch it, and go along with it in my head.
14. I never let the microwave go off. I sit there and watch it (as above) and when it has 1 second left, I stop it.
15. When I see a digital clock, I count down all the lines it takes to make up the time. Then I reduce it. For example, if it's 1:15, then it takes 2 lines (segments) to make up a 1 and 5 segments to make up a 5. So it takes 9 segments to make 1:15. It takes 6 segments to make up 9. It takes 6 segments to make up the number 6, but that is as low as it gets. They always reduce to either 4, 5, or 6. I do this for hours.

Opinions, anyone?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PsychBee8 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Katie

Re: Am I in denial?? (Interesting, but kind of long) - July 28th 2010, 07:06 PM

Hiya

From what you've mentioned, it does sound like OCD. Do you experience anxiety if you don't do all those things? Do you know they are slightly irrational but feel like you have to do them? Are they time consuming?

You should contact your Doctor and describe some of the 'symptoms' and they will probably refer you to a therapist. It all sounds so dramatic but they'll probably give you what I think is called exposure therapy..don't quote me on that though. It's basically a type of therapy where they try and stop you from performing the obsessive and compulsive actions by saying 'just don't do it and see what happens' which can be very (understandbly) distressing at first. It's a little more complicated than that..but that's the basic explanation! Most people with OCD think if they do not perform the action then something bad will happen and/or experience a great deal of anciety if they cannot do the action. The therapy basically teaches you that this isn't the case.

You probably don't want to admit that you do have OCD so you could be in denial. You're right that for some people it's very serious and debilitating but then it can go the other way, in others it's a lot milder. Some of the things you said can be typical fears or bugs, such as the door being cracked open (I happen to hate that too!). But other ones, such as the obsessive cleaning, touching your fingers to letters and counting the clocks is slightly more typical of OCD. There's nothing wrong with admitting you have OCD, it gives you a reason behind your behaviour and means it can lead to treatment.

Saying that, I'm not a professional and that was just opinion, so contact someone who is trained and ask what they think. You could also google OCD and see what websites say but I'm sure you've already done that!

Closed Thread