TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

Question whats a mental evaluation ? - August 10th 2010, 08:45 AM

so im going for a mental evaluation the 1st of next month and i was wondering what exactly it was im not getting much help from google...
is it just questions,the blobflashcards,test,scans,etc?... cause im really nervous and im not sure what to expect

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: whats a mental evaluation ? - August 11th 2010, 06:46 AM

If it's the first time you're seeing the doctor or expert, it will consist of an interview with you and/or any parents/friends/family. Usually it'll be you talking to the person freely and they'll then ask questions about certain things you say, or if you don't give much detail, then they'll ask. They use what's called a diagnostic tree (can find this online) and it's a guideline to help figure out what mental disorder a person may have, if they have a mental disorder. But at the first session, they may not give you a diagnosis as they may need more time and more information. Usually they'll be told ahead of time why you are coming in, especially if you're admitted inpatient via hospital or outreach outpatient program.

Given that you're probably a legal adult (probably because each state has its own age for a legal adult), doctors won't need to inform parents on what you may have. The person may then order a brain scan, pen-and-paper tests, medications, psychotherapy, etc... .

It'll also be the time to establish a good strong rapport with you so they'll answer questions you have and clarify other things.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BUDDY=ME=JAZZBANDGEEK
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Achava Elah

Re: whats a mental evaluation ? - August 11th 2010, 09:45 PM

Google will probably not be your friend here, it can come up with some scary results.
From all the new psychiatric doctors I have gone to, it is basically them asking you questions such as do you take any meds, any family history of mental illnesses, how you have been feeling, who do you live with, which school do you go to, do you like it there, and the like. It isn't very scary, it just can seem imtimidating. You'll do fine, remember they are there to help you out! Answer as honestly as you can so you can get proper treatment/diagnosis(es)

If you want to talk you can PM me anytime, I know how nervous I was the first time I went (Heck, I still do when going to a new doctor) but it isn't painful at all

Best of luck to you!

Take care,
Love,

Achava

"Others say there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I just say Crud, there isn't... I'm stuck in this stupid revolving door..." -Me
PM me anytime you want to talk about anything.And I mean ANYTHING AT ALL!
Formerly achava_elah_18

Been in love since May 2008

Fellow SI,Autism-Spectrum,Depression,Anxiety,Musical,Trichotilloman ia Person. Basically, I'm ME!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

Re: whats a mental evaluation ? - August 12th 2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW!USaidSomethingSmart! View Post
If it's the first time you're seeing the doctor or expert, it will consist of an interview with you and/or any parents/friends/family. Usually it'll be you talking to the person freely and they'll then ask questions about certain things you say, or if you don't give much detail, then they'll ask. They use what's called a diagnostic tree (can find this online) and it's a guideline to help figure out what mental disorder a person may have, if they have a mental disorder. But at the first session, they may not give you a diagnosis as they may need more time and more information. Usually they'll be told ahead of time why you are coming in, especially if you're admitted inpatient via hospital or outreach outpatient program.

Given that you're probably a legal adult (probably because each state has its own age for a legal adult), doctors won't need to inform parents on what you may have. The person may then order a brain scan, pen-and-paper tests, medications, psychotherapy, etc... .

It'll also be the time to establish a good strong rapport with you so they'll answer questions you have and clarify other things.
thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Achava_lovesmusic View Post
Google will probably not be your friend here, it can come up with some scary results.
From all the new psychiatric doctors I have gone to, it is basically them asking you questions such as do you take any meds, any family history of mental illnesses, how you have been feeling, who do you live with, which school do you go to, do you like it there, and the like. It isn't very scary, it just can seem imtimidating. You'll do fine, remember they are there to help you out! Answer as honestly as you can so you can get proper treatment/diagnosis(es)

If you want to talk you can PM me anytime, I know how nervous I was the first time I went (Heck, I still do when going to a new doctor) but it isn't painful at all

Best of luck to you!

Take care,
Love,

Achava
thanks i might pm you in a few i been on edge for the past..

Closed Thread