TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Metal*Goddess Offline
Black Metal Goddess
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Eden

Really confused - August 19th 2010, 11:12 PM

So I have had issues with mental health on and off for most of my life and have been comitted to psychiatric hospitals multiple times, even broke out of one once. Over all of this, 4 different doctors have diagnosed me with 4 different problems and each has prescribed a different medication. I don't like medications, I'm still working on kicking a couple of nasty drug habits. Given that there have been all of these conflictions, can I even trust that there is anything wrong with me?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Really confused - August 19th 2010, 11:25 PM

Well, the fact you've been taking drugs may very well be the only problem.

Do your doctor(s) know you've been taking drugs? If not, you should probably let them know. For all you know, you may not have any problems, or have less than speculated. There are many professionals who try to avoid diagnosing mental health issues when there is a drug problem.

So perhaps, if you haven't been completely honest, you should try to open up for your own good, more than anything.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Metal*Goddess Offline
Black Metal Goddess
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Really confused - August 19th 2010, 11:54 PM

Considering that I don't trust doctors at all, that would be kind of impossible for me to open up. I think if people just understood that my only problem is stress, then I wouldn't have these problems. My mother insists that I see a therapist, but they do nothing for me, just waste time that I could be spending with my band. So far I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, depression, borderline personality disorder, and anti social personality disorder. They can't all be right. Also, given the stress of what is going on in my life, I don't think I can quit drugs right now.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: Really confused - August 20th 2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal*Goddess View Post
Considering that I don't trust doctors at all, that would be kind of impossible for me to open up. I think if people just understood that my only problem is stress, then I wouldn't have these problems. My mother insists that I see a therapist, but they do nothing for me, just waste time that I could be spending with my band. So far I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, depression, borderline personality disorder, and anti social personality disorder. They can't all be right. Also, given the stress of what is going on in my life, I don't think I can quit drugs right now.
How'd they diagnose you with anything if you didn't say anything to them? And of course therapy won't work if you just sit there.

You're right, they can't all be right. Depression and Bipolar contradict one another, and I'm pretty sure (don't quote me on this) that you can't have more than one personality disorder without having DID, and even then, DID is controversial in itself.

Well, if you want to be diagnosed properly and not be medicated, you'll have to open up about the drug use. Simple. Don't know what else to tell you.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Really confused - August 20th 2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal*Goddess View Post
If your problem is stress, the drugs often will compound it further because it makes it harder for most people to help you. That said, they may make you feel better and handle the stress but they don't address the causes of the stress, they simply let you ignore them easier. Unfortunately, for others, they cant easily help you because your method conflicts with theirs. Many doctors would be hesitant to prescribe you certain medications based on certain drugs you're taking because of the interaction.

Psychotherapy can help, however, it's not an immediate affect as it is with drugs. If the therapists are helping you quit the drugs and address the causes of the stress, I think that's pretty stupid on their part because both at the same time aren't a happening thing. The problem is, the drugs can be part of the stress as well as relieve some of the stress. But if you're not going to be open to telling about the drugs and addressing the drug usage, there's not much a therapist can do because it's an uphill battle that isn't able to be won together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ArcAngel- View Post

You're right, they can't all be right. Depression and Bipolar contradict one another, and I'm pretty sure (don't quote me on this) that you can't have more than one personality disorder without having DID, and even then, DID is controversial in itself.
No that's not right at all. You can have multiple personality disorders at the same time but it does not mean you have multiple persons, it simply means your overall behaviour fit into certain disorders on a separate diagnostic axis. DID means having multiple "persons" or people, it does not mean you have multiple personality disorders. Similar wordings in it but the concepts are completely different. You are right though that you cannot have depression and bipolar disorder diagnosed at the same time.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: Really confused - August 20th 2010, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW!USaidSomethingSmart! View Post
No that's not right at all. You can have multiple personality disorders at the same time but it does not mean you have multiple persons, it simply means your overall behaviour fit into certain disorders on a separate diagnostic axis. DID means having multiple "persons" or people, it does not mean you have multiple personality disorders. Similar wordings in it but the concepts are completely different. You are right though that you cannot have depression and bipolar disorder diagnosed at the same time.
I know what DID is. I just didn't think you could have two different personality disorders, especially since the symptoms usually contradict. But if the disorders don't contradict, and symptoms overlap, could be a different story.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Metal*Goddess Offline
Black Metal Goddess
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Really confused - August 20th 2010, 06:05 PM

I know that the drugs don't really help, it's just really hard to not use them when I'm so stressed. Doesn't help that I hate to show my emotions and drugs also make that easier. I'm sure some one could understand that with my mother constantly wanting to drag me to therapy every other week, or have me sent to rehab, if I'm not being arrested I'm making excuses for a friend who is, and my boyfriend lives on another continent. I feel like I am going crazy

Closed Thread