TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
je taime Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Victoria

I'm shy, but this is ridiculous - August 23rd 2010, 06:10 AM

Iíve always been able to build up false confidence when I need it, and keep my friends. But lately I donít know whatís come over me. Whenever I get close to someone, itís like something inside me shuts off and I have to destroy whatever relationship it is. The people I can call my friends have decreased from around 15 to 2 in the last year.

With the new school year starting I'm so nervous, because my new lack of friends leaves me with almost no friends in any of my classes. Iím going to be an upperclassman this year, Iím supposed to be out of the woods, socially! But I look at the conversations my once-friends have online, and see my classmates getting boyfriends and I wish I could just overcome my insecurities for once and finally find someone who wants to be with me, and doesnít make me feel like crawling into a hole.

I guess I just want to know that someone else has felt like this, and is happy and has found love. Iím just so worried this is never going to change and that Iíll end up friendless and loveless for the rest of my life

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: I'm shy, but this is ridiculous - August 23rd 2010, 06:26 AM

Well, I have felt like this. I've had friends leave me, with different excuses. I've had guys break it off with me because I was fucked up, and all sorts of other crap.

But, I posted a thread about finding my right someone, right here. Before him, I felt the same way. Hell, I still hardly leave the house, but I have my online friends, and my long-distance boyfriend, so I don't really miss the stress of in-person social interaction.

I wish you the best. And yes, it has a good chance of getting better. High school sucks, simple.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Silver Halide Offline
Average Joe

Re: I'm shy, but this is ridiculous - August 27th 2010, 03:28 AM

This could be a trust issue. It's easier to manage many acquaintances but letting people in could be setting off some kind of alarm in your mind. If you were ever betrayed or left by someone in your past this could be a residual effect.

Think back to when you have done this in the past. Take notes about it. What did they all share in common? Was there something else that triggers it? What is the character of the anxiety or negative feeling that indicated that you needed to shut down and move away from the relationship?

The initial issue aside, the amount of friends you will have at school will fluctuate. You change. They change. People converge. You won't be friendless and loveless for the rest of your life. I had few friends when I left high school and went to college. Now I'm happily in a relationship and I have a few close friends who I would not trade the world for.

Closed Thread