TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Question "Inducing" Mania/Hypomania? - August 30th 2010, 07:11 AM

Okay, so I've had a Manic (or Hypomanic, unsure of the Psychosis element that differentiates them) moment before. And well, it was scary, but fun. It was completely unexpected, unprovoked, and lasted like, a week and a half or so. I want it back, so I'm trying to aggravate it. Now, I'm not looking for advice for or against it, just wondering if I'm the only one who wants this, to feel the "fun" side of me, or if others have been in this position before?

**For the record: I'm not diagnosed Bipolar, I haven't been diagnosed anything. So please, don't suggest to go to a professional, since I can't, long story.**

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: "Inducing" Mania/Hypomania? - August 30th 2010, 11:11 AM

If you want to, then use certain substances to do so. They're not something you can easily induce because they happen by themselves regardless of the situation. If you want to do it without any sort of substances, not even something like caffeine, then the only option is wait.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Silver Halide Offline
Average Joe

Re: "Inducing" Mania/Hypomania? - August 30th 2010, 01:41 PM

That would have been a hypomanic state. Mania has the psychotic element. I can understand the allure of it. High energy and a flight of ideas, as long as you don't get the irritable mood component or the unwise actions components.

I don't know a way to induce it. That's relatively uncharted territory from what I understand. As the previous poster states, there may be a way chemical route.

Another thought is to remember back to what happened before your last hypomanic state? If you don't have Bipolar II and have a cycle where you switch it may have been an induced state in the first place.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: "Inducing" Mania/Hypomania? - August 30th 2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Halide View Post
That would have been a hypomanic state. Mania has the psychotic element. I can understand the allure of it. High energy and a flight of ideas, as long as you don't get the irritable mood component or the unwise actions components.

I don't know a way to induce it. That's relatively uncharted territory from what I understand. As the previous poster states, there may be a way chemical route.

Another thought is to remember back to what happened before your last hypomanic state? If you don't have Bipolar II and have a cycle where you switch it may have been an induced state in the first place.
See, I don't know if there was Psychosis or not. I mean, I'm not sure which behaviours would classify. And well, nothing particular happened before the last time I had the mania/hypomania. It just, happened. One night I kind of just snapped into the mood, I guess. I don't know. And my one friend who has Bipolar II is pretty sure I have it as well, though as I mentioned, long story about not being able to get a diagnosis on anything.

And Nick, I tried the caffeine thing, since I heard that can trigger it. However, the coffee gave me gut rot (either that, or the almond milk, since yesterday was my first time trying almond milk), so I'm going to retry.

Though, I still would like to know if anyone else who has experienced Mania/Hypomania here has wanted to induce it...?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: "Inducing" Mania/Hypomania? - August 31st 2010, 10:03 PM

Certain things can cause it Julz but as far as I know everyone is different. My doctor told me not to have too much coffee or sugar because those sometimes can tip me towards a moodswing (not always mania though). Also, even though I know this doesn't apply to you, if I miss my medication for about three days I start to swing a bit again.

About the wanting to induce it, yes I have and sometimes still do. It's kind of addicting I guess, and when I started taking medication I slowly started to miss it happening. I missed getting so much done and being productive when hypomanic, and feeling unstoppable when I was all the way manic.
But then I try to remind myself about all the ways it keeps almost ruining my life and I start to not miss it again. You have no idea how much I wish I had all that money I spent back...

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: "Inducing" Mania/Hypomania? - August 31st 2010, 10:08 PM

Heh, Rick, I have no money to spend.

And nice to know I'm not the only one to ever want to provoke it. I guess I miss feeling well, like a different person I guess. I miss feeling like I want to party, go to raves, dance all the time, don't need to eat or sleep, etc. Seriously, I pretty much changed into a different person during that block.

Meh, guess I can keep trying with caffeine, sugar, and all-nighters, and hope for that person to come back.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: "Inducing" Mania/Hypomania? - September 1st 2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ArcAngel- View Post

And Nick, I tried the caffeine thing, since I heard that can trigger it. However, the coffee gave me gut rot (either that, or the almond milk, since yesterday was my first time trying almond milk), so I'm going to retry.
Caffeine is just one way to do it. Another way that may work is insulin shock. When people's blood sugars go too low, their behaviours change. Some will get very confused, others may get what you got. The easiest way of course is to take artificial insulin however you get your paws on that. Of course, the risk is you'll black out or it won't lead to that experience.

If you're going to do the method of caffeine, don't bother drinking coffee endlessly. A quicker way with higher chance is to get something like "5-hour energy". Several of them, or even a large amount of other energy drinks would send you into a mad caffeine rush. There are some risks, such as with the 5-hour energy in that you may get a niacin flush. If you get one from just the first bottle, don't drink others even though you may not get the rush you want. Also, this isn't a route to take if you want to experience this rush over and over. If you don't know if you're getting a niacin flush, just look in the mirror: reddish skin, sweating and heart racing like mad are signs of it. Best ways to stop it are drink cool water or wait as it shouldn't last too long. A "last resort" is aspirin if the water fails.

If you take this method but don't get a niacin flush, your hands and limbs will tremble, pupils will be huge, probably sweating, heart is racing like mad, euphoria and plenty of nasty effects. If you keep on taking more and more caffeine or things like it, you'll experience a state of psychosis, hallucinations, delusions, mania or depression, etc... . There are some nasty possible effects though you may get even with the mania or psychosis or euphoria you want.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: "Inducing" Mania/Hypomania? - September 1st 2010, 08:24 AM

Haha, I can't afford energy drinks, no money, thus why coffee (which is readily available) is easy for me. And well, I don't think I'd need too much. More than anything, I think I'd need to be caffeinated enough to just pull an all-nighter without getting groggy. Because to stimulate Mania, I've heard its common when you lack sleep, have too much caffeine, etc.

Haha, well thanks for the replies. I guess I'll have to just try to get the right combination to trigger it. I had a Manic (or Hypomanic) episode before without a specific trigger, so I don't know.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: "Inducing" Mania/Hypomania? - September 1st 2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ArcAngel- View Post

Haha, well thanks for the replies. I guess I'll have to just try to get the right combination to trigger it. I had a Manic (or Hypomanic) episode before without a specific trigger, so I don't know.
Because for those mood disorders involving that, you don't need a trigger. It's like some people with schizophrenia who have hallucinations don't hallucinate all the time. They can be fine and suddenly for no apparent reason, the hallucinations occur. Same for this, they don't need a specific trigger because a trigger doesn't really matter.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Silver Halide Offline
Average Joe

Re: "Inducing" Mania/Hypomania? - September 2nd 2010, 01:15 AM

This thread actually made me think of something. I used to have this little ritual I would do when I really wanted to get something done. I would take massive amounts of caffeine (I found the pills to work better; they were cheaper per mg of caffeine than most things). After that I would listen to high paced music and start my task.

On some occasions around 2AM I would hit this strange state. I had previously thought of it as a "creative/goal-oriented" God Mode. However, its symptoms seem to be in line with Hypomania.

In light of this, I offer additional advice: take caffeine, stay up late, and listen to music that will get you "worked up". That may help. One thing you could also try is to abstain from caffeine for an extended period before you do it. This will increase its efficacy as your body lowers the amount of active adenosine receptors.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: "Inducing" Mania/Hypomania? - September 2nd 2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
On some occasions around 2AM I would hit this strange state. I had previously thought of it as a "creative/goal-oriented" God Mode. However, its symptoms seem to be in line with Hypomania.
Or, could just be caffeine high? If you wish to discuss it, feel free to PM me.

Quote:
In light of this, I offer additional advice: take caffeine, stay up late, and listen to music that will get you "worked up". That may help. One thing you could also try is to abstain from caffeine for an extended period before you do it. This will increase its efficacy as your body lowers the amount of active adenosine receptors.
I don't have caffeine often, can't afford it, really.
Well last time though, it was unprovoked. So I mean, the caffeine, and lack of sleep, are typical triggers. Guess I'll have to figure it out on my own though, I guess. Try different things, methinks?

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: "Inducing" Mania/Hypomania? - September 4th 2010, 01:47 AM

Caffeine pills are kind of dangerous though, I took too many (it was an intentional overdose though, but you'd be surprised how little it takes) and it was horrible. It was, and still is, the single most painful thing I have ever experienced, to the point that I am actually afraid to drink coffee...

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: "Inducing" Mania/Hypomania? - September 4th 2010, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFin View Post
Caffeine pills are kind of dangerous though, I took too many (it was an intentional overdose though, but you'd be surprised how little it takes) and it was horrible. It was, and still is, the single most painful thing I have ever experienced, to the point that I am actually afraid to drink coffee...
No worries, I can't afford caffeine pills (nor have I ever seen them, to be honest). So far I've been up for like, 30 hours, and not even tired, so something could happen, or might not. Lets see how long this staying awake thing lasts.

Closed Thread