TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LostInMyStory Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Steven

Seasonal Depressive Issues. - August 31st 2010, 06:43 PM

Around this time last year I was shocked and taken aback by these new things called anxiety attacks, (different from panic. More of a mental episode with a few physical symptoms.) and now around the same time as last year, I feel my self withdrawing again, and having a few episodes of strong anxiety where I have to lay down. If this continues out of my control. Which im trying my hardest to keep it under my control. Then I don't know what I'm doing to do. I can't be hospitalized again. :/ or I believe I'll be put into more of a longterm facility. The only thing that I found that helped with my anxiety last year was cutting, and ive been clean since early May, and I really want to keep it that way. I don't know if its seasonal or the anxiety I'm getting is situational. It's probbably both, but however it may be, I can't let it happen. Last year it messed up my schooling, and now I can't go to school, I'm getting my GED, im in trouble with court for truancy last year and If I don't do exceptionally well mentally and physically, such as look happy, and have my life on track, I could be facing anywhere from probation until I'm 18 to Juvy until im 18. and I also have a job that I'm going to be starting soon and that I need to get my ged. so does anyone know how to tell if it is seasonal?

- - Live for the Moment, Like it's the last you'll ever have - -
  Send a message via AIM to LostInMyStory  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Seasonal Depressive Issues. - August 31st 2010, 07:27 PM

Might be seasonal, but may not be the seasons. Okay, that made no sense.

What I mean is, could school be the trigger of this, instead of the change of season? Either way, its something worth consulting a professional about, especially since it seems to be interfering with your everyday activities (i.e. academics, the cutting issue, etc.).

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#3 (permalink)) Old
LostInMyStory Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Seasonal Depressive Issues. - September 1st 2010, 02:27 AM

idk if its worth consulting my counselor with yet, it isnt that bad. but Im worried that its going to. my thoughts mess with me, i have periods where i drift off into a daydream and it seems so vivid and i cant control it. the most recent was about my ex, i imagined she killed her self and her whole family and friends blamed it on me, and i beleived them. just really bad things that in worst case scenario it could happen. but yes its not likely

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Advice / information? - September 1st 2010, 11:10 PM

Hey there,

I went ahead and moved this to the anxiety forum. I thought you might get some better responses here. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to let me or another Moderator know.

As for you issues with anxiety; have you sought help for this? I know that sometimes people get on medicines that can help and sometimes just having a therapist to help them work through the attacks can really help. Do you think looking into some type of professional help would be beneficial?

Sorry I don't have a lot to say on this issue. But, I hope I helped a bit. If you need anything feel free to pm me.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
LostInMyStory Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Advice / information? - September 2nd 2010, 10:22 AM

yes i asked and begged for help pertaining to the anxiety but there are no real anti anxiety meds for minors. no narcotics are allowed to minors, the closet thing they ever put me on was seroquel and all it did was tranquilize me, and over time it made me schizophrenic if i missed a dose. but yeah, i hope i do get some opinions, or someone just ask questions and try and help me figure this out. i need to know if this is gunna worsen again.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Advice / information? - September 2nd 2010, 11:13 PM

You're 20, you're not a Minor at this point. Anti-Anxiety medications aren't recommended for people under 18.

Maybe you should re-talk to your doctor, and see about getting on some sort of medication? They do have medications that don't need to be taken every day, but can just be taken when you're having an Anxiety episode. Xanax is a common one for this, I have a friend who has Xanax for when he has Anxiety issues, he doesn't use it every day. And the "schizophrenia" you got from the medication beforehand was most likely just a side effect, so perhaps if the doctor brings it up, you should let them know what happened beforehand, and they'll most likely avoid putting you on it again.

Plus, as the above poster said, therapy could prove to be beneficial. So maybe see about getting into therapy as well.

I wish you the best.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#7 (permalink)) Old
LostInMyStory Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Seasonal Depressive Issues. - September 4th 2010, 04:09 AM

Im really worried about this, please does anyone else have any suggestions or ideas?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: Seasonal Depressive Issues. - September 4th 2010, 01:28 PM

Hi Steven,

Good to hear you've been clean as far as self harm goes for a couple of months now. That's great, and I, too, hope that you'll continue down this path you're on now in regards to that. As far as your concerns with Seasonal Affective Disorder, the first thing I would say is just to be really careful with self diagnosis. If you put yourself into a certain mental illness, it's almost as if you'll start to mold yourself around the symptoms of this mental illness and they'll start to show up even if they were intending to in the first place...does that make sense? With that said, though, it does legitimately sound like there's something going on, and I do agree that you need to go ahead and get this sorted out with a medical professional before it gets worse. MayoClinic has a great resource on symptoms and signs of SAD and Reverse SAD as well as when you should know it's time to see a doctor. Again, though, please be very careful with this information and take it with a grain of salt - only a mental health professional will be able to properly diagnose you. (:

If you do end up going to a professional, there are treatments - light therapy (phototherapy), medications, and psychotherapy, and I'm sure that the professional can help you to find something that's right for you if they feel that it's necessary. MayoClinic (which I've been using as a resource when replying to this thread) also suggests a few "home remedies" that might be worth a try:

Quote:
  • Make your environment sunnier and brighter. Open blinds, add skylights and trim tree branches that block sunlight. Sit closer to bright windows while at home or in the office.
  • Get outside. Take a long walk, eat lunch at a nearby park, or simply sit on a bench and soak up the sun. Even on cold or cloudy days, outdoor light can help — especially if you spend some time outside within two hours of getting up in the morning.
  • Exercise regularly. Physical exercise helps relieve stress and anxiety, both of which can increase seasonal affective disorder symptoms. Being more fit can make you feel better about yourself, too, which can lift your mood.
None of these changes would be too difficult to make, and they may end up helping you, so I'd say that they're definitely worth a try! I hope things begin to shape up for you soon; keep us posted. (Quick edit: I've also gone ahead and merged your threads - please don't create multiple threads. If you'd like to seek alternative methods of advice or feel as though you're not getting replies as quickly as you'd like, feel free to try HelpLINK, Live Help, or the chat room. Thanks!)

Last edited by Katrina; September 4th 2010 at 01:41 PM.
  Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
Closed Thread