TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tess* Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Tess

Help? - February 18th 2009, 04:17 AM

Where to start? Um, so..
I don't know what's wrong with me. I'd like to think it's nothing because sure it has affected my life, but not majorly. But this has been going on for a long time now and I'm pretty sick of it.
I've never had a problem with my memory, but lately when, for example, I'm studying for a test, I'll study something, then forget it 10 minutes later. After 3 tries of trying to remember the same thing, I still don't have it. Then I'll move on to another topic and the same thing will happen. Not only that, but I can't even remember what was taught in class 2 days ago.
And at work, there are many times I have to look at a number, then write it down or put it in a computer. Well for example if the number is 643, sometimes I'll read it as 634, other times I'll read it as something random like 645. I'll sometimes work as cashier and just today a customer's total was 9.89. I read it just fine, but when I opened my mouth it came out as 8.98. That isn't the first time something like that's happened.

This is just, frustrating. Is this even normal?
If I wanted professional advice, (which I'm sort of considering) I wouldn't even know where to go.
What do you think I should do?
I know you can't tell for sure, but any ideas what this could be?

Suggestions? Possibilites? Help =(

How's your life? It's been a while
God, it's good to see you smile
<3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Persephone Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Help? - February 18th 2009, 04:21 AM

The easiest thing is to go to your doctor. What you've said could easily just be that you are overly busy/stressed so your mind is just kinda letting go of things it doesn't deem useful, but it could of course be something more serious. Talk to your doctor about it, and if they think something might be wrong, they'll be able to point you in the right direction. Sorry I can't be too much more helpful.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Re: Help? - February 18th 2009, 04:28 AM

Hm, something kind of similar happened to me, random memory loss, but that was when I was really depressed, and it doesn't sound like you are. So yeah, maybe its just stress and your mind is protesting? I'd tell your parents or a school counselor first, just because they're more convenient than setting up an appt. with your doctor.

Yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers
But everything that lives is born to die
And so I say to you that nothing really matters
And all you do is stand and cry.

Music is life. Start living.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Tess* Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Tess

Re: Help? - February 18th 2009, 04:56 AM

Oh geez. Well actually I have been depressed on and off. Like, again, it's nothing I've seen anyone about, but still. There was one night not too long ago that was especially bad.
It probably doesn't seem like it/I didn't mention it because I fight it. I try to keep a positive attitude all the time.
But there are times that no matter how hard I try, it doesn't work -_-

How's your life? It's been a while
God, it's good to see you smile
<3

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Help? - February 18th 2009, 10:36 AM

Hi Tess,
It's good to see that you're posting
As has been mentioned above, there are quite a few factors that could cause this sort of "memory loss", especially being overly stressed or tired. As you've mentioned that you've been feeling depressed occasionally, I would recommend seeing a doctor about this or even a school guidance counsellor if that's possible, they could really help you with these problems. It is possible that the two problems could be interlinked so it would definetly be worth mentioning them both when you next see your doctor.

Closed Thread