TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nalrah Offline
Avid Hardcore Gamer
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kris

I think I have ADD... - September 19th 2010, 11:28 PM

Well, Im just going to blurt this out before I procastinate and forget..

I find concentrating in a classroom enviroment really difficult, I look around all the time and no matter how much I tell myself
that i'm going to get on with the work I get drawn to something else that interests me more, my mind wanders for no apparent reason
I take much more interest in what my friends are doing then my work.

I work so much better in a one to one with a teacher, but its hard to get these at A levels, I would say im above average intelligence
cus I sailed through my GCSE's in the lessons I enjoyed but I flunked it in those that bored the crap out of me or I had distractions in. (I consider being predicted an A in Psych but getting a C flunking) Got a C in maths but thats just shit.

I get caught daydreaming all the time, teachers come to my face and tell me Im not concentrating, and theyre right.

I think I need support in school, ive left it way too long though I think... Im 16, everyone says its because I play too many
computer games, but they spark my interest and my creative side, I can get rooted into a game I enjoy more so then any of my friends.

I may be addicted to computer games, but thats not the problem, the problem is that I need help...

Is lack of organisation a symptom of ADD? My Schedule is Chaos and Im terrible at remembering due dates or organising my work.

Will this fuck me up later in life? everyone expects me to do well but im giving up, I dont feel human, I feel like a tool

Im dont know where or how to get tested for ADD, and Im afraid that if I dont have it, ill be lost.

I need someone to understand me.

Also, how do I go about getting an appointment at my Doctors? or do I go see a councellor or what? this is the first time ive felt abnormal so Im not sure how getting this sorted works.

My tea's gone cold I'm wondering why I,
got out of bed at all
The morning rain clouds up my window,
and I can't see at all
And even if I could it'd all be gray,
but your picture on my wall
It reminds me, that it's not so bad,
it's not so bad.

Amber Dix♥25/3/08

Last edited by Nalrah; September 19th 2010 at 11:50 PM.
  Send a message via MSN to Nalrah  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Apollo Offline
LiveStrong™
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Apollo

Re: I think I have ADD... - September 25th 2010, 05:22 PM

Kris,

Different people have different concentration levels and a way of learning. I myself find it very hard to concentrate in a classroom environment as well. I think there is a possibility you may have some sort of attention (span) problem, but since I can't diagnose you, I suggest talking to your doctor. You could just call them and go from there. If you need to see a counselor your doctor can just refer you, so I think your primary carer may be a good place to start. Just describe these problems just like you wrote them. If you don't have ADD, it's okay. Ask for some suggestions on how to be a little more organized and how to stay on track with concentration. As for the organizational issue, maybe try getting a planner? I have one and find it very useful (just remember to write in it as soon as you need to remember something!).

Good luck, and let me know if you need anything.
-Apollo

Always feel free to contact me.
<3 |.YOU ARE LOVED.| <3

.TOMORROW IS A NEW DAY.

You may think the world is better off without you...
The truth:
The world isn't
good enough without you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Opal Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I think I have ADD... - September 29th 2010, 09:32 AM

I knew a guy who had ADD once. He'd been seing a psychiatrist for a while though, and he had it down to controllable levels. ADD is actually pretty common, so just go see a doctor and get a referral. Of if you want to try an alternative, make the boring work more challenging by setting yourself goals. Set a timer and see how quickly you can get it done. You may also while to check out Wrong Diagnosis.com on the internet to have a quick read up about ADD/ADHD.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: I think I have ADD... - September 29th 2010, 10:41 AM

If you think that you have ADD then you should visit a medical professional, such as a psychologist or psychiatrist. No one else can diagnose you with a disorder. If you're having symptoms that are worrying you, then it may be worth talking to a doctor about your concerns.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: I think I have ADD... - September 29th 2010, 06:06 PM

i have ADHD and tbh i find plugging my ipod in and blocking out the world helps me concentrate because then all i have is my music and my work, nothing else. but if you are worried maybe talk to one of your teachers and explain that your having trouble concentrating in lessons.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: I think I have ADD... - October 1st 2010, 10:42 PM

ADHD is over-diagnosed a lot so chances are higher if you see a doctor about it. You said though some courses make you bored or carry their own distractions but others don't, so clearly you are able to concentrate in courses you like. There's nothing abnormal with that.

Before you go to the doctor, talk to the teachers and ask them for help on this and organization. If you can concentrate one-to-one, then many probably would help you. Also, you can choose to get a one-to-one tutor who would also help with organization. Try doing these before you go to the doctor because it may just be a matter that can be resolved a lot simpler.

But if you want to get tested for it, you should see a psychiatrist or psychologist. Many will want a referral which your family doctor or a general doctor can give. Therapists and counsellors can address the symptoms and tell you the diagnostic criteria but cannot diagnose nor test you. If they do, that means they are practicing medicine, which they are not licensed to do and has a damn big offense. Probably would lose whatever licenses they have and I'd be amazed if they weren't fired and were hired elsewhere.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
*CatchingStars* Offline
Healing my soul
I've been here a while

Name: Corri

Re: I think I have ADD... - October 1st 2010, 11:27 PM

well its possible i have adhd but not diosnsed with it its better to see a doctor to be sure really

Life is too

Short to spend

It at war with

Yourself.

I’m catching stars in the sky because I am fixing the soul within me. May it be from the heart a girl broke years ago or my soul simply repairing itself as it was shattered on my walk on this earth. May the stardust fill those cracks within my soul making me brand new, but never forgetting who I once was.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Alrex Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: I think I have ADD... - October 2nd 2010, 02:30 PM

Thank you to the original poster!

I actually logged on to teen help today to ask where I should go to get checked for add.

To the doctor I go!

Closed Thread