TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Justine27 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Bi Polar Type 2 - September 28th 2010, 03:41 AM

I've suspected that I have a lesser form of bi polar, or some sort of mood disorder for quite a while. Today I talked to my doctor about it. She told me it sounds like I have bi polar type 2, since I hit a high, but not an extreme one that's as noticible to others. She said we'll start me on mood stabilizers right away... but my mom isn't quite as convinced and wants me to go in for psychiatric tests and everything first. I don't know what to do and I think going for tests and having to waste money on them is useless. I'm really confused as to why she won't believe me!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Bi Polar Type 2 - September 28th 2010, 09:22 AM

Well, your mother has good reason to want you to get a psychiatric test.

Number 1, mood swings are typical for teenagers.

Number 2, a psychiatric doctor is trained to diagnose mood disorders, whereas your standard doctor is not.

I highly suggest you go to a psychiatrist and find out for sure. Because if you get on medications, and you don't actually HAVE Bipolar II, it could mess you up something bad.

A second opinion won't hurt, and if it is Bipolar II, your mom will believe, and you'll get the proper help. And if its NOT Bipolar II, they can figure out what IS wrong, if anything.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#3 (permalink)) Old
mckay Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Bi Polar Type 2 - September 28th 2010, 09:59 AM

Hey,

One of my best friends got diagonsed with Bipolar, and to us it was a shock because we thought she was okay. This then made me realise i dont see my friend as much as i should if i didnt notice this what was happening.

I gave advice to my friend and told her that she needs to be around people, and do different things, basically just keeping herself busy and if she goes through any stages when she is on her own to ring somebody to take her mind of things or to talk about the things and signals she is going through.

I help me friend through thick and thin with this and if you would like any mor help or advice i will be gladly enough to talk to you just Pm at any time

Love Paris x

Love Paris x

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Bi Polar Type 2 - September 28th 2010, 10:35 PM

I would go for the tests for a few reasons. First, as a teenager, it's known that your behaviours are in some way going to be exaggerated so to avoid getting a diagnosis that reflects those exaggerations, doing the tests can show that. Second, there are many mood disorders and many sub-types, in that there are different forms of bipolar II or it could be another mood disorder but not bipolar II. Third, there's a large stigma of mental illnesses and your mother may or may not have this but she may be trying to ensure that you don't face it if you truly don't have it. She may see it as only a doctor's view but in all other areas of medicine, tests are done to confirm the diagnosis and to try to rule out other diagnoses. Since no tests happened, she may view the diagnosis as incomplete. Lastly, you mentioned "doctor" but was it your average family doctor or was it a psychiatrist or psychologist? If it wasn't a psychiatrist or psychologist, then your average doctor may not know enough of the area to diagnose you properly. They are allowed to but they aren't trained in it so they may be incorrect or miss something.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Justine27 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Bi Polar Type 2 - September 30th 2010, 04:24 AM

It was my family doctor, but she does deal a lot with people who have depression and various types of bi polar.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Bi Polar Type 2 - September 30th 2010, 04:45 AM

"Deals with" and "Certified to Diagnose" are two different things. Take the 2nd opinion from a Psychiatrist/Psychologist, trust us.

WOW!USaidSomethingSmart! actually happens to have a LOT of education on Psychology, so his word is pretty solid when it comes to mental health issues.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Bi Polar Type 2 - October 1st 2010, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justine27 View Post
It was my family doctor, but she does deal a lot with people who have depression and various types of bi polar.
Family doctors aren't trained in it and often they are the first doctor that people do see to get treatment, so it's pretty common for them to refer the patient to a doctor trained in it or they use a judgment call with not a lot of education. The fact that she sees lots of people with depression or bipolar disorder means nothing on her ability to properly diagnose and ensure the patient gets proper treatment. Your mother is recognizing this and she'd be doing the exact same thing if you came in to the doctor's office when you weren't feeling well and the doctor said after observing you a bit, that you have a pituitary microadenoma (pituitary gland tumour less than 10 mm diameter) and thus need neurosurgery without doing any tests. She'd want a neurologist to do proper tests and verify since they're the experts in that field.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Bi Polar Type 2 - October 1st 2010, 04:15 AM

Well.. I can say one thing. I am bi-polar type 1. Type 2 is MUCH less severe... And you do not need medication right away. What you may want to do is research different therapy methods, maybe even research what to do during a meltdown. Trust me... Try to avoid the mental hospitals. They are not fun places... But they do help... To an extent. No matter what you want to do, I will support you and give advice. (If you want it.)

Closed Thread