TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: MUSIC IN MY HEART

Celexa anti depressant cause weight gain an eating more??????? - October 9th 2010, 01:30 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Please I don't want to be alone in this an need support I'm on a trial run with celexa an was wanting to know

If it causes weight gain in underweight people
And second if It will cause someone who undereats to eat more since appetite comes back ?

I'm having a panic. Attack bout these two questions help please
  Send a message via AIM to Music In My Heart 120 Send a message via MSN to Music In My Heart 120 Send a message via Yahoo to Music In My Heart 120 Send a message via Skype™ to Music In My Heart 120 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
LittleFish Offline
Face-eating Alien
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Se-Se

Re: Celexa anti depressant cause weight gain an eating more??????? - October 9th 2010, 01:51 AM

It's okay. You don't have to worry so much about it. I gained weight from it, but not everyone's the same. And if you're really worried about it, why not talk to your doctor before you start taking it? There are a lot of medication options, and I'm sure they'll be able to help you find one that won't give you awful side effects.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Celexa anti depressant cause weight gain an eating more??????? - October 9th 2010, 02:26 AM

If you're underweight, I don't see why this would be an issue. I've never taken Celexa (though I have been on Lexapro, which is similar), but I'm pretty certain it does not cause weight loss or lack of appetite. I've never heard of an SSRI that does -- so basically, what do you have to lose (no pun intended)?

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Celexa anti depressant cause weight gain an eating more??????? - October 9th 2010, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost On The Highway View Post
If you're underweight, I don't see why this would be an issue. I've never taken Celexa (though I have been on Lexapro, which is similar), but I'm pretty certain it does not cause weight loss or lack of appetite. I've never heard of an SSRI that does -- so basically, what do you have to lose (no pun intended)?
I'm obsessed with loosing weight
  Send a message via AIM to Music In My Heart 120 Send a message via MSN to Music In My Heart 120 Send a message via Yahoo to Music In My Heart 120 Send a message via Skype™ to Music In My Heart 120 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
EmisaurusRex Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Em

Re: Celexa anti depressant cause weight gain an eating more??????? - October 9th 2010, 03:13 AM

Which is probably part of why it's a good thing you are trying Celexa.
Give it a chance. Talk to your doctor about what you are worried about and stuff. I've never had weight gain from an anti-depressant. I have from other similar medications, but not anti-depressants.
It's going to take it a little while to really get into your system anyways, so...like I said, give it a try and communicate with your doctor about all of your concerns.
Good luck!

Great works are performed not by strength, but by perseverance.
PM me anytime <3

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Celexa anti depressant cause weight gain an eating more??????? - October 9th 2010, 04:40 AM

^ Agreed, the only drug that's ever "made" me gain weight is insulin. SSRI's in general worsened my depression to the point where I didn't give a fuck how I looked, and started eating whatever I wanted to whenever I felt like it, but they didn't cause me to gain weight on their own. Antidepressants are weird though. I say if it helps you return to some form of normalcy, a bit of an appetite increase is something you can deal with.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Celexa anti depressant cause weight gain an eating more??????? - October 9th 2010, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost On The Highway View Post
^ Agreed, the only drug that's ever "made" me gain weight is insulin. SSRI's in general worsened my depression to the point where I didn't give a fuck how I looked, and started eating whatever I wanted to whenever I felt like it, but they didn't cause me to gain weight on their own. Antidepressants are weird though. I say if it helps you return to some form of normalcy, a bit of an appetite increase is something you can deal with.
That helps very much
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Celexa anti depressant cause weight gain an eating more??????? - October 9th 2010, 09:19 PM

I think the point in you taking it is so you can get over your depression and eating disorder, so it would be a good thing if it made you want to eat more.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Celexa anti depressant cause weight gain an eating more??????? - October 9th 2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfPunk View Post
I think the point in you taking it is so you can get over your depression and eating disorder, so it would be a good thing if it made you want to eat more.
So it does make me eat more? Argghhh yea I guess

I take it for depression an
Ed an anxiety an panic
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Celexa anti depressant cause weight gain an eating more??????? - October 9th 2010, 09:24 PM

I didn't say it does make you eat more. I don't know as I've never been on it. I'm just saying it might not be a bad thing.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Celexa anti depressant cause weight gain an eating more??????? - October 9th 2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I didn't say it does make you eat more. I don't know as I've never been on it. I'm just saying it might not be a bad thing.
Why might it not be a bad thing?
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Celexa anti depressant cause weight gain an eating more??????? - October 9th 2010, 09:28 PM

Because you've even said you're underweight. And based on your posts it sounds like to be healthy you need to eat more. Hence it is a good thing.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Celexa anti depressant cause weight gain an eating more??????? - October 9th 2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Because you've even said you're underweight. And based on your posts it sounds like to be healthy you need to eat more. Hence it is a good thing.
You are correct I do need to eat more to be healthy
I'm still underweight an want to loose more weight
Closed Thread