TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

How does diagnosis work? - October 13th 2010, 09:16 PM

Just out of curiosity, how do doctors or psychiatrists diagnose you with a mental illness or disorder? Do you just have to tell them what you experience, or are there physiological factors they can take into account as well?
In particular I was thinking about how they diagnose bipolar, OCD and paranoia. I just wondered if they could tell by looking at brain activity, or whether it's purely based on what you tell them.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: How does diagnosis work? - October 13th 2010, 09:30 PM

When I was diagnosed with depression and a possible mood disorder it was all from simply talking about my symptoms and answering questions about how I felt. I would assume that this is usually how people are diagnosed, but it might depend on the particular circumstances and the doctor that you see.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Elle_Dorado Offline
Average Joe

Name: Michelle

Re: How does diagnosis work? - October 13th 2010, 09:36 PM

I think it could also depend on if it runs in your family

-Michelle

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: How does diagnosis work? - October 15th 2010, 04:58 AM

They'll look at your family history, talk to the people you're around the most (only with your permission) and sometimes they do a brain scan (but that is mostly to rule out a physical problem in your brain). At least that's how I got diagnosed with bipolar.
It is mostly based on what you say though, or if you were seeing a doctor for something else and they stop you mid-sentence to ask if you're manic lol.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: How does diagnosis work? - October 15th 2010, 05:34 AM

Brain scans can be done but there aren't particular brain profiles for certain disorders. Often, various disorders may have a certain pattern but only amongst certain people with that disorder. It's mostly done to make sure that there's no underlying neurological problem because if there is, even if it does affect your behaviour, you're no longer in the hands of a psychiatrist as it's not their area. If there is something abnormal, depending on where it is, you still may see the psychiatrist if it's believed to not produce the abnormal behaviours. For example, if you went to the psychiatrist and you have affective flattening (i.e. no or little emotions), and a brain scan showed damage are prefrontal cortex, if there is no other abnormal behaviour, you won't see the psychiatrist, you'd see a neurologist or neuropsychologist.

They will also ask about current medications and any non-psychiatric illnesses you may have as those may be the cause or can make treatment with medications very difficult to impossible.

When you go for an assessment, you tell the psychiatrist what's going on and they analyze the content of your speech, how you say your speech, your body language, emotional reactions to particular things, your appearance and other non-speech elements. They also may ask about family history or even ask family members if they come with you or you allow them to call family members. The psychiatrist may ask you for a psychological test, such as one where you answer a standardized test (various types and kinds) while at the office.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread