Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
katierae47 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!
katierae47's Avatar
Age: 25
Gender: Female

Posts: 1
Join Date: October 24th 2010

How do I seek help? - October 24th 2010, 03:01 AM

I'm concerned that I have a personality disorder, I haven't researched them because I don't want to self-diagnos, but I DO want to know whats wrong with me. I would like to see a doctor to get the facts, but I'm only 15 and I need my parents help. How do I explain to them that I truly think I have a personality disorder. My parents and I are close so it shouldn't be this hard... My mother has realized my odd social patterns and extreme highs and lows emotion wise. I also don't want to hurt them because I have always been their perfect child with the highest grades. I'm afraid that they won't take me seriously and I'll have to show them the cuts on my wrist and hip which will devestate them. I just want to talk to a doctor...
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough
Batman.'s Avatar
Name: Julz
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,724
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: December 14th 2009

Re: How do I seek help? - October 24th 2010, 05:10 AM

Well first of all, you're 15. Usually, doctors don't like diagnosing personality disorders in teenagers, especially because of their already fluctuating hormones from growing up. The emotional highs and lows can be easily accounted for by these hormones.

Also, cutting isn't specifically linked to mental health issues, but rather, an unhealthy coping mechanism for the lows.

My suggestion would be, if you can get in for a standard physical, mention something to your doctor then. Either that, or if that isn't an option, talk to your parents. Sit down and tell them how you feel overwhelmed with everything going on in your life, and try to talk them into setting you up with a councellor.

If you get set up with a councellor/therapist, they'd be able to figure out if you're having the normal teenage struggles, or if its something further, and then they'd probably talk to your parents. Keep in mind, when you're under 16 (or 18, depending on your country), your conversations are NOT confidential, meaning they CAN tell your parents what is going on, especially if they feel you're a threat to yourself or others.

Any more questions? Feel free to PM me.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Alexx Offline
Average Joe
Alexx's Avatar
Name: Alex
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: England

Posts: 150
Join Date: November 10th 2009

Re: How do I seek help? - October 24th 2010, 02:10 PM

When I first wanted to go to the doctor about my depression, rather than telling my parents it was about that, I told them it was about my acne. My mum then booked the appointment for me, and doesn't know it's actually about my mental health problems.
You could always say it's about something else? At least until you feel ready to tell your parents about it.

However, if you do want to tell your parents, I'd sit one of them down and tell them. Which are you closer too? If it were me, I'd sit with my mum, and explain that my mood swings are really starting to bug me. Don't loose your temper and explain to them calmly the situation and that you're unhappy and confused. They might be shocked, but honestly - afterwards, once they understand a little more, they should be supportive.

Good luck! ♥
Closed Thread



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All material copyright ©1998-2020, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints | Mobile

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.