TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LostHERmind Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Red face I made an appointment... - November 3rd 2010, 10:03 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

(I labeled it as triggering to be safe)
I made an appointment with my Family Doctor today. Its for tomorrow (and its a sort of two-for-one). I'm going to tell him I think I need to talk to someone and that I think I need help because of a bunch of things that have been happening over the last few months and years.

I'm really nervous about it actually... I'm scared he'll tell my parents or I'll forget and that if he says yes, the insurance will tell or won't cover it. So I'm not really sure what to do about that stuff, since I don't want my family knowing until I know something.

So, I'm not really sure what to do... I'm really nervous and I really do want to go through with it, but I'm worried I might chicken out. ):

I guess if tl;dr- Would an insurance company would tell my family that I am going (if referred) to a therapist? What should I do if I'm too nervous to elaborate on why I want to get a referral? And I guess anything else you can think of that might help would be great ^^;;

(#2 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: I made an appointment... - November 3rd 2010, 10:38 PM

Hey there,

I think it's fantastic that you're going for help with your problems, you should feel very proud.

I assume that you're in America (correct me if I'm wrong), so I don't know too much on the insurance front of things. But even if your parents found out I'm sure they would understand.

I understand that you would be a bit nervous, but try your hardest not to. I'm sure your doctor will be very nice and caring, and things will go okay. Try to make sure that you go though, because it could really help you.

Let us know how it goes, take care!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
*CatchingStars* Offline
Healing my soul
I've been here a while

Name: Corri

Re: I made an appointment... - November 3rd 2010, 10:39 PM

well they have to tell ur parents if ur suicidal that happened to me with my cousellor thou and yes if ur parents know it will be very awkward it was for me of course my parents didnt believe but u just got to go throu with it forget about everyone else and get help thats all that matter try writeing a letter if its to hard to say and give it to the doctor good luck

Life is too

Short to spend

It at war with

Yourself.

Iím catching stars in the sky because I am fixing the soul within me. May it be from the heart a girl broke years ago or my soul simply repairing itself as it was shattered on my walk on this earth. May the stardust fill those cracks within my soul making me brand new, but never forgetting who I once was.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
LostHERmind Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I made an appointment... - November 3rd 2010, 11:04 PM

I'm in Canada, but I think the policies are really similar...

I'm not suicidal I don't think... I don't want to die or anything, I just get really emotional sometimes- and well that's a huge post waiting to happen that I don't really think I should go into, too long.
Someone else mentioned the letter idea to me yesterday in the chat, I might try and do that all day so I have it for the appointment after school.

I really do want to go through with it and to make sure I'm okay.

** I just want to mention I don't want my parents knowing because my mom is expecting in December and I have a very young sibling (3 years)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
LostHERmind Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I made an appointment... - November 5th 2010, 01:11 AM

I can't figure out how to edit right now, but an update: I went and asked about it. So first success was that I remembered, second is that I asked and didn't pass out or puke from nerves, third I didn't cry or anything I was really mature about it (and didn't feel totally stupid to boot!). Its a long wait, he said, until I can get to an appointment that is covered by my insurance- but I'm okay with that. I already did three things right. And it feels really really good that I did it.
I can't thank everyone on this site enough, it took me so long to do this and I'm glad I finally did. Even if nothing is wrong and I'm just over worried, I'm really happy about it. Thank you~
(this can probably be closed now, by the way)

Closed Thread