TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lost_Confused Offline
Wherever life takes me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Nika

Dissociative identity disorder or just over thinking or going crazy? - November 5th 2010, 05:26 PM

I think i might have multiple personalities.
I looked it up because for some reason it just kinda popped out at me when i was reading one time, and it seems like some of the symptoms have happened to me, like when i'm trying to think, i can't finish a sentence, i have to really concentrate or talk out loud.
I found a website that lists the symptoms, which i'll list

Except for the rituals and and drug and alcohol abuse (well, when i get alcohol i always want a lot of it, and drink quite a bit but i don't actually abuse it.) i have all the symptoms. And for example last night i was making dinner, and last i remembered i had gotten out the vegetables, and then i remember laughing, but then after that i remember it was like i was waking up and dinner was fixed and in the oven and the lady we're living with was talking and i couldn't remember our conversation at all.
It's been happening more often, like i go to school, or i'm walking, or i go through my day and i barely remember much of what i did. Or if i do remember, it's like i'm just drifting around, and i don't really know what i'm doing, or i do things without thinking.

The site i went to said this: "Some people with dissociative disorders have a tendency toward self-persecution, self-sabotage, and even violence (both self-inflicted and outwardly directed)"
This applies to me as well. I feel like punishing myself, even for things i didn't do, and my arm is mangled from slicing up my arm.

But the thing is, i can switch personalities very quickly, or just do a certain personality at one time, then another the next to whomever i feel like directing a personality towards or something like that. BUT i'm also aware of it at the same time. But also at the same time, it's like i'm there, but i'm not, and it's like i just say and do stuff and i don't think about it, i just do it.

I dunno, am i just over thinking, or do you think i might be starting to get multiple personalities?
I would understand why if i did, i went through child abuse from my sister for years. But.. i just don't know.
Please help....

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Dissociative identity disorder or just over thinking or going crazy? - November 6th 2010, 05:45 AM

I think you have the wrong list of symptoms and diagnostic criteria because the ones you listed may be possible symptoms of DID but they're so general they can describe numerous disorders. Also, there can be people with DID without those symptoms you mentioned. I don't think you should concern yourself now with having DID. If you do have those symptoms then you may have another disorder.

However, you're going to get mixed answers on here and other places because of the disorder itself. It's one of the most controversial ones with many doctors, researchers, therapists, etc... saying it doesn't exist and the person has a manifestation of something else.

Lastly, what you described regarding your personalities isn't DID. The reason is in DID, the host (you) cannot control the switching directly. Some people can but in those, they're doubted even more. It's theorized there's another personality who rarely or never emerges but controls the switching as a "gatekeeper". If you consciously direct a personality to someone, that's not DID. It's theorized the personalities emerge in response to a stressful situation as they best respond to it and may protect the host from the situation.

The notion of child abuse is that there has to be abuse so severe, often sexual but can be physical, whereby the child's mind splits to protect the child.

It sounds more like depersonalization and possibly derealization you're experiencing, with child abuse possibly having relevance. The amnesia is common for DID (not that I think you have it) but you can have the amnesia from a psychological origin or biological origin. If you think there are personalities emerging, each one has its own name and so people would react to the change. If you ask around and nobody recalls anything of emerging personalities or you acting completely different, then it certainly isn't DID.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lost_Confused Offline
Wherever life takes me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Nika

Re: Dissociative identity disorder or just over thinking or going crazy? - November 7th 2010, 12:45 AM

Ok.. Guess i'm just over thinking. Thanks.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
EL&MT Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Dissociative identity disorder or just over thinking or going crazy? - November 20th 2010, 10:41 PM

Dissociative Identity Disorder is a very complicated illness. I thought I had DID at one point in my life because I experienced severe delusions and auditory hallucinations. I had a voice in my head which I thought was my alternate personality.

I recently went to see a psychiatrist and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. It's very important not to try to self-diagnose. If you think you have a problem, go see a psychiatrist. I'm sure you've heard that plenty of times before, but it's true.

"Love is like swallowing hot chocolate before it has cooled off. It takes you by surprise at first, but keeps you warm for a long time."

Closed Thread