TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
i love you...<3
Average Joe

Question I'm pretty sure I'm bi polar. - November 11th 2010, 01:49 AM

For the longest time I thought I was depressed, but it wasnt an always thing. Some days I am extremly happy, and I'm like "wow, why was i ever upset? I'm gonna stay happy cuz everything is great" that lasts up to 3 days then its back to crying and being pissed and upset about EVERYTHING. And I even realize how stupid I am being when I get upset but I CANT stop bitching, and I feel bad cuz i always bitch at my boyfriend for NO reason. I'm pretty sure this is bi polar... idk. help?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: I'm pretty sure I'm bi polar. - November 11th 2010, 02:25 AM

We can't tell you for sure because we are not doctors. But honestly no I don't think it is bi-polar you are 16 years old and teenagers are going to have mood swings. Besides doctors can't really diagnose you with it until you are an adult because they need to know wether it was just a teenage stage or not. I am bi-polar and yea my doctor "diagnosed" me when I was 14 but not offically writen down. I can go from being happy to sad to a bitch all within a minute. I lash out then 10 minutes later I'll be fine. But honestly to me this just sounds like every other teenage girl I know

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
i love you...<3
Average Joe

Re: I'm pretty sure I'm bi polar. - November 11th 2010, 02:36 AM

i guess. but it just doesnt seem normal to be complete fine and happy, and then be screaming at my mom and crying cuz she wont drive me somewhere... thats not normal.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: I'm pretty sure I'm bi polar. - November 11th 2010, 02:49 AM

Yeah it is...I was like that at the age of 10 my grandma would joke with me and say my teenage mood swings started earlier. I would say just wait and see if it gets worse than go talk with a doctor and see what they say or here is a website you can look at and read about bi-polar:
http://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disorde...symptoms-types

thats the best site i could find hope it helps

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: I'm pretty sure I'm bi polar. - November 11th 2010, 04:07 AM

As the above poster said, it doesn't sound like Bipolar Disorder.

What wasn't mentioned is, the happiness in Bipolar ISN'T happiness, its Mania, which is completely different. I've been through it, and though I don't know how to describe it accurately, it's NOT typical Happy feelings. And its not as short as 3 days, either.

What you're going through sounds like VERY typical mood swings, which start when you're getting into puberty, which can start as early as your pre-teens (10-12).

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: I'm pretty sure I'm bi polar. - November 11th 2010, 04:50 AM

The hormones influencing your mood and emotions have already been mentioned, however I wouldn't suspect bipolar for a different reason. You experience happiness (which doesn't seem to be mania, doubtful hypomania either) immediately after being depressed. That happiness doesn't qualify to even be considered in Bipolar II (no chance of you having Bipolar I). With all that said, acting rebellious or aggressive to parents is normal in teen years especially around puberty. In fact, it's expected to happen and when it doesn't happen at all, then it's suspected to be abnormal.

Please, do not read the symptoms only, tick off the symptoms and conclude you have bipolar. That is not how it works at all and if you mention that you have done so to a doctor, especially a psychologist or psychiatrist, they're going to clue on that you've self-diagnosed without fully considering the criteria.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
stars Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I'm pretty sure I'm bi polar. - November 11th 2010, 11:07 PM

I was recently diagnosed at a near adult age with bipolar, and it was a very hard thing to come to terms with.

I felt like I had two personalities;
One the one hand, for weeks, months even, I am excitable. I can't sleep, AT ALL, I laugh all day and I talk about SEX nonstop, and come onto people. I see and hear things that make me feel like I'm unstoppable, and I lash out at people in the street, accusing people of things they didn't do, like staring and laughing at me.

One the other hand, for weeks, months even, I am depressed and it's contagious. I self harm, I cry, I yell and scream, and sometimes I feel emotionless. I take antidepressants, antipsychotics, mood stablisiers, and though it numbs the pain, makes it less than what it was before I started on the medication, it's still noticeable that I'm hurting. I hear voices, and they tell me to kill myself.

There is a difference between mood swings and bipolar. You just have to figure it out and talk to your doctor.

Take care.

Closed Thread