TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Senior Thesis on Cyber Bullying: Your opinions needed :) - December 3rd 2010, 03:45 AM

@Mods: This thread was already approved by Rob.

So, I'm conducting my college senor thesis (big research project) on cyber bullying and I'm looking to find out from teenagers/young adults what you would want studied about cyber bullying / what kind of cyber bullying you've dealt with or even if you've been a bully yourself.

What kind of cyber bullying am I studying?
-Texting/Sexting/etc
-Social Networks (Facebook, Myspace, etc.)
-Email/Instant messenger

• Any information given will only be used to GUIDE my research, none of it will actually be used in my final thesis. I'll be using your guidance to narrow down my thesis and conduct an actual experiment.
  • If you wish to remain anonymous, feel free to PM me.

Information I'm Looking For...

(feel feel to elaborate on these as much or as little as you want, these are just a guide)
  • What kind of cyber bullying have YOU dealt with the most? How often are you cyber bullied? Is it the same person or several different people?
  • What has being cyber bullied done to you? How has it made you feel? Have you been diagnosed with any adjustment/mental health disorders since the cyber bullying started?
  • What kind of cyber bullying do you WITNESS/HEAR of the most?
  • Have you ever been a cyber bully yourself? If so, why? Was it over the internet or texting? How did you feel after?
  • If you could tell someone what about cyber bullying needs to be given more attention, what would it be?
  • What outcome would you want from research done on cyber bullying? What would you want the focus of the research to be?
  • Other: Feel free to tell me anything else you'd like
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
footfoot Offline
My pal's name is foot foot.
Average Joe

Re: Senior Thesis on Cyber Bullying: Your opinions needed :) - December 3rd 2010, 05:35 AM

I have not had an experience which I would identify as being cyber bullied, nor to my best knowledge have I ever cyber bullied anyone.

• What kind of cyber bullying do you WITNESS/HEAR of the most?
As I'm sure you know, there have been several cases covered by the media recently about student suicides engendered by physical and cyber bullying. I've read/heard about cyber bullying including YouTube assaults (which have gone viral e.g. the Beiber girl scandal), sexting assaults, and social networking offenses (as small as the Palin girls' facebook scandal or as big as in the cases of the student suicides).

• If you could tell someone what about cyber bullying needs to be given more attention, what would it be?
I think it is interesting how public the cyber bulling can be - right out on someone's facebook wall - and still no one stands up or it catches on.
  • What outcome would you want from research done on cyber bullying? What would you want the focus of the research to be?
Where does cyber bullying land, legally? Has the law caught up? Is cyber bullying an offense (I'm curious, can it be paralleled with stalking)? Are victims of cyber bullying often also victims of physical abuse from their attackers?

Are schools implementing anti-cyber bullying programs? (I believe these should be included with sex-ed and anti-drunk driving classes).

Good luck with your thesis.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
I'm full of sugar and spice.
I've been here a while

Name: Char

Re: Senior Thesis on Cyber Bullying: Your opinions needed :) - December 3rd 2010, 07:16 PM

What kind of cyber bullying have YOU dealt with the most? How often are you cyber bullied? Is it the same person or several different people?

I got bullied a whole lot on formspring. I would have alot of hate messages on it telling me to 'go die' and things similar to that. I would never get people telling it to my face. It would always be anonymous.

What has being cyber bullied done to you? How has it made you feel? Have you been diagnosed with any adjustment/mental health disorders since the cyber bullying started?

I started SH more when I was beng CB. and I started staying away from people.

What kind of cyber bullying do you WITNESS/HEAR of the most?

Mainly sexting and social networking sites.

Have you ever been a cyber bully yourself? If so, why? Was it over the internet or texting? How did you feel after?

Never

If you could tell someone what about cyber bullying needs to be given more attention, what would it be?

The fact that there is no way to report it on sites like formspring because it anonnymous. And also it spreads fast, there's no way to completely get rid of it.

What outcome would you want from research done on cyber bullying? What would you want the focus of the research to be?

To make ways of reporting it easier.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Senior Thesis on Cyber Bullying: Your opinions needed :) - December 4th 2010, 03:41 AM

Thanks for the responses
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Project Advisor

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Senior Thesis on Cyber Bullying: Your opinions needed :) - December 4th 2010, 06:32 PM

What kind of cyber bullying have YOU dealt with the most? How often are you cyber bullied? Is it the same person or several different people?

I have dealt with being cursed out, made fun of, called names, etc. In 2009, three people including one of my exes threatened to kill me. He also harassed me by calling me and saying awful things until about September 2010. I used to be cyber bullied a lot, but not as much anymore. It was by quite a few different people.

What has being cyber bullied done to you? How has it made you feel? Have you been diagnosed with any adjustment/mental health disorders since the cyber bullying started?

The only thing that really affected me was the death threats. They scared me seeing as the people who threatened me are quite violent. I got scared to go places sometimes and I would panic if I was outside by myself. I have recovered from those fears. I have not been diagnosed with anything because I haven't ever seen a mental health professional.

I hear about threats, sexting, and belittling. Facebook is a big place for threats.

Have you ever been a cyber bully yourself? If so, why? Was it over the internet or texting? How did you feel after?

I have never been a cyber bully.

If you could tell someone what about cyber bullying needs to be given more attention, what would it be?

I think that it needs to be taken more seriously. A lot of people brush it off and say, "Oh, it's not important. It doesn't matter." The truth is, it's a lot more serious than people think. There are kids committing suicide because of cyber bullying and it needs to stop.

What outcome would you want from research done on cyber bullying? What would you want the focus of the research to be?

I would want the focus of the research done to raising more awareness and stopping it.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Senior Thesis on Cyber Bullying: Your opinions needed :) - December 7th 2010, 11:08 PM

Thanks again to everyone whose responded and the overwhelming amount of PM's. It's been a huge help.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
DarwinC Offline
I'm All Ears

Not a n00b

Re: Senior Thesis on Cyber Bullying: Your opinions needed :) - December 9th 2010, 06:09 AM

I am a long time peruser of an internet gaming forum. I only lurk, so I don't participate. This internet gaming forum has a long history dating back to 1999, and so it has garnered a large user base. The camaraderie is evident, as the thing that unites these users together is a certain videogame that the forum is built upon. As such, any newcomers that try to assimilate into this culture is given the cold shoulder and generally a hard time. This is very typical.

You can imagine that a lot of cyberbullying goes on in this forum. Based on my observations, part of the reason that cyberbullying occurs is:

1. Anonymity - the cyberbully feels that there are no immediate consequences for their actions because he or she lives behind a facade.

2. Having a facade - the ability to put up a veneer that is contradictory and atypical of one's usual demeanor is appealing. As such, many users create a contrasting persona for themselves so that they can express a different or oppressed side of their character.

3. Elitism - in the case of the aforementioned internet forum, a lot of elitism occurs because the users that have bonded together from the beginning exclude many of the newer members.

I was about to write more but I realized that this kind of context is not what you were looking for. However, I hope that it is helpful. *doh*

Thanks for reading,
D

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Complicated'Me Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Senior Thesis on Cyber Bullying: Your opinions needed :) - December 12th 2010, 07:17 PM

I have been and still do get people writing on my formspring page on anonymous telling me to overdose or get hit by bus people tell me my own mum hates me always on anonymous though.

I closed off from everyone, began to be severely paranoid about everything and everyone i wouldnt trust anybody. It made me fel alone, I havent been diagnosed with anyone but health advisers at my school are pretty clear they feel i may be suffering from a depressive nature.

Social netwok sites mainly. some texting.

I would never bully somebody.

There is no way of reporting the abuse on formspring as it is an american site they are not legally obliged to have a report abuse button on the site itself so they can just leave it- also the sites they do have on there are hard to find and also american.- People can spread things fast over formspring.

The focus is on making it easier to report people on formspring and ways to find out who it is.
Also making it more aware to schools, police and other places where help can be found.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Scotty Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Senior Thesis on Cyber Bullying: Your opinions needed :) - December 15th 2010, 05:15 AM

The few times it happened It didnt bother me i just deleted it and blocked the senders E-mail.

Thoug E-mail.

Just a few E-mails with alot of bad words to some douche who messed up bigtime on our project. I felt perfectly fine after, that retard should not of forgotten our project at his house.

I dont know, cyber bullying is kinda easy as hell to stop and easier to ignore.

How many victims changed their e-mail or adjusted their facebook privacy settings.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Actress Offline
Our broken fairy tale </3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mary

Re: Senior Thesis on Cyber Bullying: Your opinions needed :) - December 15th 2010, 10:10 PM

What kind of cyber bullying have YOU dealt with the most?
I have been called a slag anonymously quite allot
How often are you cyber bullied?
Name calling online
Is it the same person or several different people?
I have no idea it's anonymous
What has being cyber bullied done to you?
annoys me a bit on a bad bay
How has it made you feel?
Doesn't usually bother me that much
Have you been diagnosed with any adjustment/mental health disorders since the cyber bullying started?
No I don't need it it's not proper bullying
Death threads to emos, disabled kids etc
I would never be a cyber bully
sorry?
What outcome would you want from research done on cyber bullying? What would you want the focus of the research to...
Not sure

Closed Thread