TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Actress Offline
Our broken fairy tale </3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mary

No body confidence. - December 11th 2010, 01:22 PM

I haven't been on for ages but that's because I thought I could face things alone and to be honest I just can't. I have no body confidence what so ever. I feel fat and ugly all the time. I don't know what I can do to make myself feel more self-confident looking like I do. How do I post pictures of myself btw? x

(#2 (permalink)) Old
harley Offline
I'm here to listen
Average Joe

Name: Harley

Re: No body confidence. - December 11th 2010, 09:27 PM

it dosnt matter what you look like people dont love you for your body thay love you for your personality thay love you for you

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Actress Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: No body confidence. - December 11th 2010, 10:57 PM

Thats not true though everyone will always be judges by the way they look no matter what. x

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: No body confidence. - December 13th 2010, 04:24 PM

Hi Mary,

You know, many people view being "strong" as handling things on one's own and being independent, but I think there's also notable strength found in knowing when you let your walls down and knowing when to throw up the red "help me!" flag. There's so MUCH strength found in realizing you CAN'T do it all by yourself, and then allowing others in, to help you. (:

I believe in the power of body confidence. In fact, I was just talking about it in another thread. Have you ever heard of "Jessica's Daily Affirmations"? It's a YouTube video that I highly recommend - just search for it and it will pop up. Each morning since this girl was very, very young, she would look in the mirror and just...affirm. She would remind herself of everything she liked, and tell herself that she could do ANYTHING good, and I think there's something very special in the way that doing that likely affected her growing up. I challenge you to do something similar. Starting tomorrow morning, YOU look in the mirror and find at least one thing you like about yourself. Say it out loud. The next day, do the same thing, but you must find something DIFFERENT. Continue each day this week. Next Tuesday begins week two, in which you should find two different things you like about yourself each morning. Then week three, then week four, and so on and so forth. Maybe it sounds silly, but sometimes challenges can sound silly and be remarkably helpful...and that's why I'm calling this one a challenge, and not just a suggestion.

I also just want to encourage you to, if you feel like you need it, take advantage of counseling services offered by your school. I know that counselors have a bad rap with some people, but sometimes we just have to (to be blunt) get over ourselves and work towards the greater goods of our future. These counselors are TRAINED to help - they spent many years in school studying how to help the younger generation, and they're there for you.

As far as people judging others by the way they look, you're right. We live in a world where it's HUMAN NATURE. The very first thing someone notices about a person they meet is what they look like. It just is. There's no way getting around that, and I think it would be naive of me to think otherwise. But you know what? That's OKAY. Think of yourself. Do you prefer tall people? Do you prefer short people? Do you prefer tan people? Do you prefer fair people? Do I prefer the same things? No. No two people on this world have the exact same tastes, which is GREAT, because no two people look the exact same. And I'm really just talking about romantic relationships here. In terms of my FRIENDS and FAMILY, I don't really care what they look like. It doesn't matter to me. Sure, its something I notice, but so what? I love my friends and family literally for the quality of their heart and, to quote MLK Jr., the 'content of their character.'

Hang in there. The early teen years can be rough on the self esteem, but there are better days ahead. Let me know if you need me.

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Actress Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: No body confidence. - December 14th 2010, 11:19 AM

I really don't like anything about the way I look though. x

Closed Thread