TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

I can't help but think I may have bi-polar - December 27th 2010, 12:59 PM

Now I'm on higher medication of Citalopram (40mg) I haven't had mood swings for about a month. It's just when I wasn't on it my mood could change within six hours :/ I could be crying, pessimistic, hopeless etc. one hour and optimistic, happy and euphoric the next. Now I'm thinking of it I have felt "manic" a few times in my life. My thoughts would be jumping everwhere, I couldn't sit down for a long period of time and I wanted to do something dangerous (jump out my window :| well, that's the worst I've felt)

Is it possible I could have a type of bi-polar?

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: I can't help but think I may have bi-polar - December 27th 2010, 04:10 PM

Hey lovely.

Bi-polar can be really hard to understand. I don't think just your mood swings would make you have bi-polar, that could be part of a depression which the anti-depresents have helped, which I'm glad by the way!

How ever, I suggest if you're really worried, talk to someone about it. I think I am right by saying you see a mental health nurse, so you can talk to her about it and see what she thinks, but until you do, I wouldn't worry to much.

Chin up, Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: I can't help but think I may have bi-polar - December 27th 2010, 05:54 PM

Hey,

Well the "Manic" moments you described, it depends on the length of them as well. Bipolar is more complicated than mood swings, and if you find this concerning, I think you should talk to your doctor. However, if your medication is keeping it under control, it's highly unlikely to be Bipolar. Usually Bipolar Disorder is made worse with antidepressants, so better to talk to your doctor to be sure.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: I can't help but think I may have bi-polar - December 28th 2010, 05:04 AM

I find two things puzzling here. The first is I assume you have been diagnosed in order to receive regiments of such medications, so are you asking about the diagnosis to compare with others who have it or know people who have it? The second, and main, is if you are bipolar, why are you on Citalopram? Citalopram is able to relieve depressive episodes, however, it can make the bipolar significantly worse by worsening the depression or, it can relieve the depressive episodes but not the manic episodes.

I suggest you ask your doctor for the diagnosis you've been given as well as for why you are on Citalopram if the diagnosis is bipolar I or II.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: I can't help but think I may have bi-polar - December 28th 2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW!USaidSomethingSmart! View Post
I find two things puzzling here. The first is I assume you have been diagnosed in order to receive regiments of such medications, so are you asking about the diagnosis to compare with others who have it or know people who have it? The second, and main, is if you are bipolar, why are you on Citalopram? Citalopram is able to relieve depressive episodes, however, it can make the bipolar significantly worse by worsening the depression or, it can relieve the depressive episodes but not the manic episodes.

I suggest you ask your doctor for the diagnosis you've been given as well as for why you are on Citalopram if the diagnosis is bipolar I or II.
She's not be diagnosed with it she's asking us whether she could have it. She's been put on that medication to help with her swing moods.

Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: I can't help but think I may have bi-polar - December 28th 2010, 07:08 PM

Citalopram is for depression not mood swings. Like thirteen said Citalopram will make you have more mood swings because just taking a anti deprressent like Citalopram can cause you to be manic if your bipolor. But if Citalopram the anti depresent is making you feel calmer and not become so hyper then it is likely you dont have bipolor. Talk to your therapist and doctor about this.

I think I have bipolor too and I am on zoloft 50mg and they wont up it yet because they dont want me to get more hyper if I would they dont know if I would get hyper but just on the safe side there not uping my meds right now. Also there not sure if I have bipolor either so yeah talk to your doctor.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: I can't help but think I may have bi-polar - December 28th 2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauri View Post
Citalopram is for depression not mood swings. Like thirteen said Citalopram will make you have more mood swings because just taking a anti deprressent like Citalopram can cause you to be manic if your bipolor. But if Citalopram the anti depresent is making you feel calmer and not become so hyper then it is likely you dont have bipolor. Talk to your therapist and doctor about this.

I think I have bipolor too and I am on zoloft 50mg and they wont up it yet because they dont want me to get more hyper if I would they dont know if I would get hyper but just on the safe side there not uping my meds right now. Also there not sure if I have bipolor either so yeah talk to your doctor.
I think her mood swings are caused by depression? I might be wrong.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
peterabbid Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I can't help but think I may have bi-polar - December 29th 2010, 01:15 AM

If she's going from depressed to 'normal' then the mood swings might be caused by depression but she's describing being happier than what 'normal' would be so it's possible that the medication is causing it.

But she should definitely discuss it with her doctor

(#9 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I can't help but think I may have bi-polar - December 29th 2010, 04:16 AM

Im not a expert either jesse but I just think depression does not have mood swings thats more bipolor. If shes going from depressed to normal then thats just depression. But if its depressed to overly hyper I would think its bipolor. But if the meds you are on the anti depressent are making you calmer I would say you dont have bipolor. Im no doctor so yeah just ask them.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: I can't help but think I may have bi-polar - December 29th 2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie'Lou View Post
She's not be diagnosed with it she's asking us whether she could have it. She's been put on that medication to help with her swing moods.
But that is not making any sense. Mood stabilizers are used for bipolar treatment or a cocktail of anti-depressants. Citalopram does not treat mood swings as it does not relieve the manic symptoms experienced by many bipolar patients. So someone who is on that and suspected of a mood disorder, is likely suspected of depression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterabbid
If she's going from depressed to 'normal' then the mood swings might be caused by depression but she's describing being happier than what 'normal' would be so it's possible that the medication is causing it.
You misread. She said she's experiencing these mood swings that may involve mania when she was NOT on medications, so the absence of medications could be causing these swings. Whether they were manic, hypomanic or "normal" is uncertain.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: I can't help but think I may have bi-polar - December 29th 2010, 12:17 PM

Thanks everyone. I have another doctor's appointment soon with my mental health nurse so I will ask her. Yeah, this happened a LOT more before I was on medication.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: I can't help but think I may have bi-polar - December 29th 2010, 12:25 PM

Could you describe your "manic" symptoms in more detail? As you wrote it now nobody can tell what you mean. Simply writing euphoric just isn't enough, someone would have to know how you're feeling compared to normal. What do you do when you're euphoric and what do you believe? What's it like to spend a whole day in your shoes when you feel that way?

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: I can't help but think I may have bi-polar - December 29th 2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW!USaidSomethingSmart! View Post
But that is not making any sense. Mood stabilizers are used for bipolar treatment or a cocktail of anti-depressants. Citalopram does not treat mood swings as it does not relieve the manic symptoms experienced by many bipolar patients. So someone who is on that and suspected of a mood disorder, is likely suspected of depression.

But the mood swings can be caused by depression. So if she does have depression, then this medication could help her. The medication she's on is an anti-depresent. They are giving to people who suffer with depression. I've been on them and so has my mum.

Of course if it's not depression and actually bi-polar she probably needs to look in to changing medication with her doctor.

I hope it goes well dear. Keep us updated!

(#14 (permalink)) Old
peterabbid Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I can't help but think I may have bi-polar - December 30th 2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
You misread. She said she's experiencing these mood swings that may involve mania when she was NOT on medications, so the absence of medications could be causing these swings. Whether they were manic, hypomanic or "normal" is uncertain.

Ah, you're right. I did misread, sorry about that.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Atychiphobia Offline
Watch Me Drown In My Fears ♥
Average Joe

Name: Atychiphobia

Re: I can't help but think I may have bi-polar - January 2nd 2011, 06:24 PM

Anti-depressants would not be prescribed alone for someone with a bipolar disorder due to the risks of sending them into a mania.

Immobilized. Captivated and Hypnotized,
by all your evil lies.

я.ι.ρ ηαηηу -
уσυ ℓєт υѕ 3rd мαян 2011.
ι ωιℓℓ мιѕѕ уσυ σяєνєя 3

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: I can't help but think I may have bi-polar - January 2nd 2011, 06:51 PM

Basically I feel optimistic, like everything is going to turn out right. I feel like I can do anything I set my mind to. I want to do things I enjoy more like draw, pixel-art, learn to play guitar, write etc. I phone my friends and ask if they want to do anything soon.

It's hardly "manic" just... happy :/

(#17 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I can't help but think I may have bi-polar - January 2nd 2011, 09:54 PM

thats great now you know its just normal happiness not bipolor
Closed Thread