TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
nakushita Offline
Rarely Behaved
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy could i have borderline personality disorder? - December 30th 2010, 03:06 AM

idk what to do....i'm a clinicaly depressed eighteen year old and a cutter. i see a therapist and am on anti-depressants. even on them i still have bouts of anger at inappropriate times, and get super anxious during school which causes me to cut. i want to get better but i can't seem to pull myself up. ever. my relationship with my mom seems like a friggen slinky as soon as it seems to get better it tanks and i just keep thinking that i should just off myself, but i love my bf too much to hurt him like that. idk i feel so worthless. could this be more than depression? i've been on a-d's for enough time for them to be effective. could i have bpd? help, plse

Last edited by nakushita; December 30th 2010 at 07:21 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Evanescent Offline
Love Is The Movement
I've been here a while

Name: Nicole (Nikki)

Re: could i have borderline personality disorder? - December 31st 2010, 10:19 PM

First I have to say that I am not a mental health professional so I cannot actually diagnos you but I have BPD and what you described does sound exactly like BPD. Talk to your therapist about this and ask to see a professional that is able to diagnos that.

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

"For those who don't care, for those who can't see, never give up, always thrive to be free."

Smile, you are beautiful www.operationbeautiful.com

Blessed Be!
Nicole AKA Nikki
Artist, Poet, and Future Social Worker

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: could i have borderline personality disorder? - January 1st 2011, 03:45 AM

Since you are receiving anti-depressants, did the psychiatrist suggest a diagnosis to you? The main complication with answering your question is that you're on anti-depressants, which can produce side-effects resembling what you're describing. From the sounds of it, some of these symptoms were present before you began taking the anti-depressants but the medications could have increased their intensity as well. If you were to see a psychiatrist about this, they would mention this. What anti-depressant are you taking and at what dosage? Certain ones have a greater tendency to produce certain changes to behaviours over others. Some medications are called anti-depressants but are more appropriately named mood stabilizers because the classification system based on these labels is not really effective as it is very vague and many medications could fall under multiple categories.

For a personality disorder, its symptoms must be present in almost all settings, last a very long time starting at a young age and the views expressed are extremely rigid and resilient to change. Although there is no set age for when all personality disorders could be diagnosed, aside from anti-social PD, it's often diagnosed when someone is in their late teens or older. Since it is present in almost all situations, as part of the diagnostic process, informants would be preferred.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: could i have borderline personality disorder? - January 1st 2011, 07:54 PM

To be diagnosed with a personality disorder it has to be severe and take over your daily life. It isn't just a matter of anti-depressants not working and other treatments, because anti-depressants don't work for some people. Borderline personality disorder is complex and there are other symptoms that will be present that you haven't described. I would suggest you talk to your therapist about it because they will have an idea about your diagnosis.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Atychiphobia Offline
Watch Me Drown In My Fears ♥
Average Joe

Name: Atychiphobia

Re: could i have borderline personality disorder? - January 2nd 2011, 06:20 PM

There's alot more to BPD then things you've mentioned. BPD effects relationships, thought proccesses, intense horrible mood swings, you have abandonment fears -intensely-, you see things black and white, all or nothing, good or bad.. Repeatedly and consistently [in some cases] suicidal.. But we are not professionals and cannot diagnose you. You will need to speak to your professionals about your worry.

Immobilized. Captivated and Hypnotized,
by all your evil lies.

я.ι.ρ ηαηηу -
уσυ ℓєт υѕ 3rd мαян 2011.
ι ωιℓℓ мιѕѕ уσυ σяєνєя 3

Closed Thread