TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fred

On emotions, or the lack thereof... - January 3rd 2011, 02:15 PM

Recently, this question has been creeping into my mind more and more.

I've noticed that I don't react the same way to things as most people do. Like, one of my friends will tell a genuinely sad, tragic story. Everyone else that hears it is obviously affected; I can simply shrug it off and proceed as if nothing had happened. I think that I'm simply not feeling it; I asked one of my friends about this, and she said that I was exceptional at controlling my emotions. That would have been a reasonable conclusion, except a lot of the time, I genuinely don't feel.

And I can typically fake it pretty well, to the extent that almost nobody around me notices. (I'm pretty good at faking in general -- one of my peculiarities that I will not be trying to express here.)

I'm pretty sure I'm not a sociopath. (I tend to be blunt sometimes. Actually pretty much all the time. Sorry if that offends.) After all, if I were, I probably wouldn't be worrying about this. But I can't help but wonder if there's something off about the way my brain is wired...? Am I legitimately unable to experience human emotion?

(Sorry if this post was a little... rambling. Bad habit.)

"Want to know a secret?

You are beautiful.

Black, white, gay, straight, bisexual. Whether you are smart or quiet or impossibly in love with your best friend, someone out there cherishes your smile and gets butterflies when you walk into a room.

Someone out there can't stop thinking about you. You Are Beautiful. Don't ever believe differently."

If you ever want someone to talk to, about absolutely anything, feel free to inbox me!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Irinya 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
RunningWild Offline
Dreamer
Not a n00b

Name: Emmy

Re: On emotions, or the lack thereof... - January 3rd 2011, 02:20 PM

If you really lacked any form of emotion and appeared normal on the outside, it would be classified as a form of psychopathy or sociopathy. However, this is rare; sociopathy is limited to about 3% of males. You may just experience feelings to a lesser degree than everyone else. But if you can truly say that you do not feel anything, then you might consider seeing a mental health professional about some sort of antisocial personality disorder. Even if you did have one of these disorders, it does not make you a bad or creepy person. It's just the way you are.

Be well

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fred

Re: On emotions, or the lack thereof... - January 3rd 2011, 07:28 PM

I don't think I'm entirely incapable of feeling anything. I might just be less emotional than average -- much less emotional than average. (And that starts me on wondering what could have caused that. But that's my own problem now. :P)

I will admit with absolute honesty that APD is the only mental disorder that scares me to any degree -- and APD terrifies me.

If this keeps being a problem, I think I'll definitely go see a mental health professional and have him tell me whether there's anything wrong with me or not. For now, I can deal with it, so I just wanted some other opinions.

Thank you.

"Want to know a secret?

You are beautiful.

Black, white, gay, straight, bisexual. Whether you are smart or quiet or impossibly in love with your best friend, someone out there cherishes your smile and gets butterflies when you walk into a room.

Someone out there can't stop thinking about you. You Are Beautiful. Don't ever believe differently."

If you ever want someone to talk to, about absolutely anything, feel free to inbox me!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Irinya 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
mae_kas Offline
searcher of answers
Not a n00b

Name: Mae

Re: On emotions, or the lack thereof... - January 3rd 2011, 07:52 PM

I think you might be more logical than sentimental, and thus end looking and feeling well unfeeling. I should know since it happens a lot to me. And I don't think you're wired wrong I think your priorities are different. I don't think it's control of emotion I think you may be failing at grasping your emotions, as in they are there but you don't notice them much.

maybe you could take the MBTI personality test , it's really insightfull about the different types of people and pretty flexible but accuarate

and I need your sway, cause you always pay for it
and I need your soul, cause you're always soulfull
and I need your heart, cause you're alwyas in the rigth places
  Send a message via Yahoo to mae_kas Send a message via Skype™ to mae_kas 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Madeleine Claire

Re: On emotions, or the lack thereof... - January 9th 2011, 03:15 PM

I can be the same way, hear something really awful and not feel bad. I mean I want to but I don't understand what their feeling.

Closed Thread