TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Atychiphobia Offline
Watch Me Drown In My Fears ♥
Average Joe

Name: Atychiphobia

Question Borderline Personality Disorder. - January 9th 2011, 12:39 AM

Haii,
Just wanted some opinions and possible answers please;

Do you think that a personality disorder; namely Borderline Personality Disorder would be something you were able to 'recover' from, ie. not meet criteria anymore for the diagnosis, within a year to a year and a half from original diagnosis?

If so/not, why?

Anything and everything will be truely appreciated, just having a few issues with the psychiatrist over this and would like to see what other people think.

Immobilized. Captivated and Hypnotized,
by all your evil lies.

я.ι.ρ ηαηηу -
уσυ ℓєт υѕ 3rd мαян 2011.
ι ωιℓℓ мιѕѕ уσυ σяєνєя 3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Borderline Personality Disorder. - January 9th 2011, 01:23 AM

It takes a long time to change your personality, same goes for a personality disorder. In order to even be a personality disorder it had to be such a big part of who you are, and while that changes over time, to "recover" (can't think of a better word) from one, especially borderline, takes a great deal of time and effort.
I think I read somewhere that borderline can take close to 10 years to no longer meet diagnostic criteria.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: Borderline Personality Disorder. - January 11th 2011, 07:56 PM

I was told by a consultant that people who recieve no treatment for borderline personality disorder are unlikely to meet the criteria after 5 years. Also because of your age and the fact your personality will not be fully developed you could change a lot within the next few years so you don't meet the criteria.

With the right kind of therapy you can recover from it. I don't see why not but I think it also depends on whether you want to get better. I know people who have borderline personality disorder and will not engage with support and it appears that they do not want to get better.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Borderline Personality Disorder. - January 14th 2011, 07:46 AM

It certainly is possible but it's treating something that's been engrained for so long in you, there is immense resistance and difficulty. People with it though may not blame themselves, they may blame the rest as the ones who are wrong, so this has to be dealt with first. After that, I do think it can be treated such that it won't meet the diagnostic criteria BUT that still means the person can be experiencing many of the same symptoms as before, just not enough to get the diagnosis. So here is where I'm uncertain on what you're asking: do you mean removing all the symptoms or removing only enough to not meet the diagnosis years later? The latter is much easier because there's fewer things that are being eliminated. Since there are many possibly diagnostic criteria, treating one symptom can also help treat others, such as treating the changing mood (1st criteria) can improve one's self-image or sense of self (2nd criteria). This could help with reducing suicidal behaviour (3rd criteria).

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Atychiphobia Offline
Watch Me Drown In My Fears ♥
Average Joe

Name: Atychiphobia

Re: Borderline Personality Disorder. - January 14th 2011, 06:36 PM

THANKS! for the replies..
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW!USaidSomethingSmart! View Post
So here is where I'm uncertain on what you're asking: do you mean removing all the symptoms or removing only enough to not meet the diagnosis years later? The latter is much easier because there's fewer things that are being eliminated. Since there are many possibly diagnostic criteria, treating one symptom can also help treat others, such as treating the changing mood (1st criteria) can improve one's self-image or sense of self (2nd criteria). This could help with reducing suicidal behaviour (3rd criteria).
Well.. mainly I'm asking about no longer meeting the diagnosis. Alot of the things that were part of my diagnosis before; unstable and difficult relationships, fear of abandonment and I dont have an unstable sense of self [I feel] or problems with my anger. At the moment I havent had problems with suicidal behaviours [8 months] or self-harming [2 months] for a while, and even though my moods, self-harming and suicidal thoughts are still sometimes a problem, I'm trying to decide in my head, if it's really possible that, all the things people find harder to change generally, I haven't really had much problem with sorting now, which makes me question my diagnosis due to age related issues, such as relationships and self-image.. Sorry, I hope that helps make it clearer..

Immobilized. Captivated and Hypnotized,
by all your evil lies.

я.ι.ρ ηαηηу -
уσυ ℓєт υѕ 3rd мαян 2011.
ι ωιℓℓ мιѕѕ уσυ σяєνєя 3

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Borderline Personality Disorder. - January 14th 2011, 08:58 PM

I've been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, but I am so sick of being labelled wth mental illnesses. You don't have to agree with the diagnosis if you think that it isn't right for you anymore. You don't know officially how long you've had it for, so it could of been years. People sort themselves out, we change naturally, so yes theres a chance that you don't meet the previous criteria.
I guess with professionals and BPD, they see it as such a complex and difficult mental illness that its hard to know how to treat and if there would be relapses, or if things turn positive for a while, they can automatically doubt that it would last for long.
You don't have to define yourself if you don't want to. You still know whats right for you x

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Borderline Personality Disorder. - January 15th 2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowTears View Post
THANKS! for the replies..

Well.. mainly I'm asking about no longer meeting the diagnosis. Alot of the things that were part of my diagnosis before; unstable and difficult relationships, fear of abandonment and I dont have an unstable sense of self [I feel] or problems with my anger. At the moment I havent had problems with suicidal behaviours [8 months] or self-harming [2 months] for a while, and even though my moods, self-harming and suicidal thoughts are still sometimes a problem, I'm trying to decide in my head, if it's really possible that, all the things people find harder to change generally, I haven't really had much problem with sorting now, which makes me question my diagnosis due to age related issues, such as relationships and self-image.. Sorry, I hope that helps make it clearer..
I think this is more of a guideline rather than a set-in-stone criteria clinicians follow, which is for BPD, the symptoms have to be present/absent for at least a year if the person is young (i.e. under 18). This may vary with the doctor but the reasoning is it's a personality disorder which is meant to have its symptoms long-lasting, so any changes should be observed over a long enough time. You may also consider seeing another psychiatrist to get his/her approval.

The suicidal actions not lasting for about 8 months is very good as there's a good chance it'll not happen for another 4 months, which is what the doctors would like to see. However, self-harming and suicide are very much related, so if they see you haven't been self-harming for only 2 months, that may not be enough for them to sway the diagnosis, assuming other things haven't changed enough also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical Forest. View Post
I've been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, but I am so sick of being labelled wth mental illnesses. You don't have to agree with the diagnosis if you think that it isn't right for you anymore. You don't know officially how long you've had it for, so it could of been years. People sort themselves out, we change naturally, so yes theres a chance that you don't meet the previous criteria.
I guess with professionals and BPD, they see it as such a complex and difficult mental illness that its hard to know how to treat and if there would be relapses, or if things turn positive for a while, they can automatically doubt that it would last for long.
You don't have to define yourself if you don't want to. You still know whats right for you x
I... don't exactly agree with this. If you disagree with the diagnosis, you get it changed because you don't have the knowledge and expertise a doctor has. Doctors can be wrong, however, they have training in this area so they are the experts. Also, if you don't get the doctor to re-evaluate you, it's going to be on the medical record and if you take any intro psych class, nursing class or experience in hospitals, when you see the patients has BPD, you think "shit, this may not be easy".

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread