TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ontheverge Offline
Average Joe

Question Help with Insomnia. - January 18th 2011, 02:42 PM

Hey,
As the title suggests I am an insomniac.
I went 4 years with out seeking any help at all, 2 months ago I went to the docs and they gave me a sedative/anti-histamine (Promethazine).
It's not done an awful lot to help, I'm not a massive fan of taking pills though. I just don't like the idea of introducing chemicals (except alcohol) into my body. Nether the less I did try them and the only occasions they have had a notable effect is when I have abused them.
I am cautious about getting any thing stronger, not only because I don't like talking about my problems face to face, but because I wouldn't trust my self with any thing that could make suicide a bit easier.

To any insomniacs out there, how do you cope? Any tips and tricks I have missed out on here?

The better part of valour is discretion - Shakespeare

We are punished by our sins, not for them - Elbert Hubbard

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Squid

Re: Help with Insomnia. - January 18th 2011, 07:15 PM

I am an insomniac most of the time and am not great at dealing with it, but here's a few tips.

Try and do something that gets you tired each day, if you just laze around you won't really be in the mood for sleeping.

Don't lay awake for hours in bed, get up and do something you hate doing. This sometimes makes me bored and tired enough to just go back to bed and sleep.

Obviously avoid sugar/caffeine before bed...

And that's about it for now. I'm not a fan of chemicals either and have never used them, and I don't think they would be that helpful anyway.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ontheverge Offline
Average Joe

Re: Help with Insomnia. - January 18th 2011, 07:58 PM

I used to drink a lot of really strong coffee, I cut that out of my life completely 2 years ago, I've been drinking lemon and ginger tea almost religiously for a long time lol.

Argh, I'm a uni student. Most of my life is spent sat down in one place or another. I hate walking round the city as well, not only because I'm from a very rural area but also because I don't like being around large groups of people (especially when I'm exhausted and don't feel fully in control of my body and mind).

The night that I joined Th I tidied my room twice. I hate reading to make me tired as well because I don't recognise where I was when I come to read it the next day.

Thanks for the tips though, I will bare them in mind.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Help with Insomnia. - January 18th 2011, 08:01 PM

You could listen to audiobooks. A little tedious to organise but it's something to distract your mind from wandering upon dangerous territory and keeping you up.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ali Baba Offline
Honesty, Loyalty, Respect.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Alexandra

Re: Help with Insomnia. - January 18th 2011, 08:52 PM

I posted this exact response in another thread so here ya go:

I have the exact same problem, sometimes I lie awake literally all night. What I do now is I do exercises right before bed if I feel like I'm not tired enough. Also don't drink or eat for a couple of hours before bed, and maybe listen to gentle music on your ipod. What I find most effective is to leave the tv on but on a really low volume so that you can't quite make out what they are saying, I find that concentrating on that takes a lot of energy out of me. Try ear plugs too maybe. Sometimes the slightest noise can wake me up so I leave my ear plugs in. I try setting my alarm a bit early sometimes too because for some strange reason when I think I have to wake up earlier my sleep is less broken. Oh and when you do wake up don't lie there, get up and go for a walk and when you come back change the position of your pillow. Personally those herbs and drinks don't work for me, but everyone is different. They're my tips for ya, good luck! Hope something works soon.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Ontheverge Offline
Average Joe

Re: Help with Insomnia. - January 18th 2011, 09:27 PM

Thanks "Hmm" (lol) and "Ali"

I was told not to exercise before bed because it would get my adrenaline going, I will try it non the less.
I have to agree with the TV thing, I have entire series' of Star Trek (oh god, every one has their "dirty pleasures" right?) or the HBO series Generation Kill, I have as one 7.5 hour long video file. In the past they helped me sleep but when they started having a heavy influence on my dream content (pleasant dreams mind you) I found I resisted them the same way I resisted the pills.
I have to say some times when I do sleep, I sleep like some one has shot me full of elephant tranquillizer. My alarm clock wakes the flat up.
When I am woken up by my alarm clock I attack it pull the plug out the wall etc.
I started with the lemon and ginger because I had a cold. It's just stayed on because of it's pleasant flavour, I haven't noticed any benefit from it either :/

Thanks again for the tips every one, I will try them again and get back to you.

Andy

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kimberlyv2009 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Help with Insomnia. - January 18th 2011, 10:19 PM

I was taking trazadone and that helped but if u prefer not to take any medication drinking warm milk is suppose to help u sleep too.I thought I would just suggest that to u try it and let me know how it works.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Jazzman Jeff Offline
The mind is a powerful tool
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jeff

Re: Help with Insomnia. - January 18th 2011, 11:06 PM

Definately do NOT exercise before bed. You should not engauge in physical activity within the few hours before crashing for bed. You said you were in University now - how late do you study? One the the things I had issues with was working too late. I would do some of my best work later in the evening but I could never get to sleep when I wanted to. I change my study times to earlier and just relaxed later in the evening to help compensate. If you keep things lighter and find some relaxing activities, it should help. It's all about calming your mind and switching your thoughts off.

Jeff

a Student of Life and Mentor of Friends

"In the book of Life, the answers aren't in the back"

"Everything is Possible"

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Ontheverge Offline
Average Joe

Re: Help with Insomnia. - January 19th 2011, 04:11 AM

Well my uni course has been causing me a quite a bit of anxiety. I spent days trying too sleep last term, I ended up missing loads. I know it wasn't the right thing to do but I was getting to the point that I was so tired I was getting major photo-phobia, my eyes ached and so did my body (my joints, lower back shoulders etc). I struggled into some of my lectures, unfortunately they were on environmental stats, which I despise along with all math, and I found that non of it sank in at all. I ended up sat there feeling really awkward and uncomfortable etc.
Long story short the first 6th of my 3 year degree was a complete waste and now the pressures on to make sure I perform exceptionally this year.
Any ways, just woke up really dehydrated, the drinking till you sleep thing gave me 4 hours. Just got up and am drinking lots (non alcoholic), seems I have an unquenchable thirst lol.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Jazzman Jeff Offline
The mind is a powerful tool
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jeff

Re: Help with Insomnia. - January 19th 2011, 04:25 AM

Given your last message, I think you should change regarding your daily habits/environment that will help you physically. If you don't already do something active everyday, take something up. Look at your diet a bit too, see how you could get some more energy from that earlier in the day (like eating a good breakfast if you don't already). Environmentally, make sure to make your study areas as comfortable as possible ergonomically. Do you have a good chair to work at when you're not in class? Is your monitor set up far enough away from your eyes? Things like that. Also, don't forget how important breaks are. Yes school demands are hard and you might be in a bad spot right now; but 40 mins of solid work followed by some rest/relaxation before heading back to work can beat 3 hours of struggling any day.

If you can find away to get more energy and physically feel better earlier in the day, you may find yourself accomplishing more. Eventually you'll be more successful and your anxiety won't be so high. It's all a vicious cycle, but if you start things right, the rest can follow.

Jeff

a Student of Life and Mentor of Friends

"In the book of Life, the answers aren't in the back"

"Everything is Possible"

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Ontheverge Offline
Average Joe

Re: Help with Insomnia. - January 19th 2011, 05:38 AM

Cheers Jeff, I'll bare that all in mind

Closed Thread