TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Euphoria Offline
Stained glass masquerade
Junior TeenHelper

I need support - January 21st 2011, 12:18 AM

So after talking with an adult at my church who had gone through similar pain that I am, she believes that my mom has borderline personality disorder. After hearing her own experience with her mom, I believe it is true. Have any of you dealt with this or know what I can do personally so that I can get through it? It's not something I can quite talk to her about due to a horrible relationship we have. I don't talk to her about anything.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: I need support - January 21st 2011, 11:08 AM

Hi Konton,

First of all, I'd just like to welcome you to TeenHelp! I'm so glad that you've found us and have decided to reach out for help, and I hope that you find what you're looking for. My name is Katrina (and I adore North Carolina! It's where my great grandparents are from as well as where I have several friends attending college), and I've been here for about three and a half years now, so if you need anything, feel free Private Message me anytime and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. (:

Being a child of a parent with a mental health issue (ANY mental health issue) can be very tough and incredibly challenging at times, and because of the very nature of Borderline Personality Disorder, I think that can be especially difficult sometimes. Often, children of parents with these mental health issues will rely on the other parent. Since you are in a family in which both of your parents have mental health issues, I think its VERY important that you are reaching out and leaning on trusted friends for support. If possible, I think that you should look into seeking help from whatever kind of guidance/counseling resources that your school may offer. I know it may seem like the "catch all" answer... but that IS what they're employed by the school for. These are people who have studied and attended college so that they can help students deal with things like this, and I think that, considering the current situation you're in, this really could help you! You are so important - your story matters, and you don't have to go through this alone. (: I'm a big fan of the idea that we were all meant to live life together, and that no one should EVER have to feel as though they are living in isolation.

I found a website entitled "Adult Children of a Borderline Parent" which essentially is the website for a book written, BUT could be useful in that it does have several testimonies (via video) of others and their experiences in facing a similar situation as well as insights about how to try to cope with this. If you'd like to check that out, click here. (:

Hang in there, Konton. I'll be sending hope and positive thoughts your way, and I hope that things shape up for you soon! Take good care of yourself.

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread