TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Hailey

Panic Attack's Getting worse - February 2nd 2011, 05:15 PM

Well recently my Panic Attack's have been becoming more severe and more frequent. I've been having panic attacks since I was a small child, but over the last few years they have become infrequent and managaeble. They are now to the point where I will have several severe episode's a week, and sometimes multiple attack's daily. They have no specific cause or reason behind occuring, it just happens. It's becoming harder to live with because I'm afriad that no matter what situation I'm in I may randomly go until a full fledge panic attack. Any tips or advice on how to control them?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Panic Attack's Getting worse - February 2nd 2011, 05:46 PM

Hey there.

So I struggle with anxiety and panic attacks too. I was once at a point where I was having up to eight a day which some would last up to around an hour. It was utterly exhausting.

When you start to feel anxious and perhaps like you might start having a panic attack, I suggest you take yourself away from the situation you are in, and go some where a bit more quite and less busy. Sit down and try to sit more straight up than leaned forward. Take deep breathes. I often inhale for four seconds and exhale for five. I'll do this a few times over and then continue to take slow deep breathes after too. Hopefully this will help, but of course it won't stop you from having a panic attack every time but will hopefully make it more manageable.

Just remember that it's not going to kill you or hurt you. That while it happens its uncomfortable, but it will soon be over and that you've gotten through it many times before and can do again. That actually, the panic attacks are not in control of you, but you are in control of them. That you can control your breathing and calm yourself down. That you can beat this.

Have you ever made up a 'safe place'. Its a place where you can go in your mind when you are feeling anxious. Perhaps your bedroom, or a beach, some where you feel safe. You can do what you want with that place in your mind. Move things around, have only things there which you want because this is your safe place and no one or nothing there can hurt you.

Also here is a website which I found a while back. It has some useful information and I thought you might want to talk a look http://www.mind.org.uk/help/diagnose.../panic_attacks

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you ever need anything.
Jessie.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
lola jonson Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: lola

Re: Panic Attack's Getting worse - February 2nd 2011, 06:17 PM

I think that I doctor could somewhat help with this. But you've probably alrtime seen one for it if you've been having panic attacks a long time. Good luck.

We do not fear death, we fear that no one will notice our absence. That we will disappear without a trace.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Panic Attack's Getting worse - February 2nd 2011, 07:39 PM

i know what you mean, since my really bad one at the weekend i now constantly worry that i could have one at any moment, with me its in situations where theres too many people and such like, but it is'nt always that, if you know what mainly triggers them off maybe try not to go to the place for abit or something (well if its school obvs dont avoid school!) but maybe talk to a tutor at school or something so that if you feel yourself begining to panick you could maybe leave the room for abit or something ?

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Hailey

Re: Panic Attack's Getting worse - February 3rd 2011, 12:07 AM

Thank you all, especially for that link Jessie, I did find it helpful. Yeah, I've seen a doctor but there's not much they can do because I do not wish to take any anti-anxiety medications at this time. My school counselor is aware so I can leave the room if neccisary, so I can handle them at school.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Panic Attack's Getting worse - February 4th 2011, 09:18 PM

You're welcome.

If you need anything or just need to rant, feel free to message me

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread