TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Athena Knightstar

Question Confused about myself. - February 8th 2011, 07:28 PM

I have a really bad memory. I can't seems to remember some thing yet I'm just 14 years old. I'm terrible at remembering my acquaintances' names which makes it awkward when I asked their name upon our repeated meetings. And often times, I also forget what I did when it had occurred to me yeaterday or earlier during the day. It makes me feel like there's many I should remember but i can't seems to recall anything at all. Yet some facts are easier to remember, even though I forgot where I got them at times. This makes me feel confused even more.

I also has this tendency to be very frank. I could not hide anything about myself and honestly, some teachers of mine freaked out at times. I tried to overcome it yet I don't know how.

Imagine my surprise when my teacher said most of my classmates shun me a little was because they were jealous of me when I pointed out facts that are simple and trivial to me but not to them. My teacher said my classmates felt threatened by my way of thinking logically that they mistook it as arrogance. Though I'm never the one to care about these matters but I can't help but think I need to do something to gain back my friends. I sometimes feel sad when they use me oftentimes at class to be a Malay-English translator and then ignoring me after class just because I'm a linguist in both Malay and English.

I'm also told that I'm a sarcastic person and that's the reason why everyone avoids me. I think i talk normally. Though there are time when i AM sarcastic, I don't think I do it all the time unless, I'm doing it sub-consciously. Many people said to me "Even though you're a 14 year old, the way your mind thinks makes you think like an 18 year old/adult would"

I'm sorry for the many questions but there's a lot about me that I'm confused about. o.0

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Confused about myself. - February 9th 2011, 04:59 AM

Many studies have shown that around the time of puberty, memory and performance on certain cognitive tasks decreases. So there's a "U" bend when you look at the performance across age because before and after puberty, performances are better. Reasons for this are long, complicated and are not fully known so the simplest and shortest answer is your brain is developing and will engage in necessary neuron death.

I would not be very concerned unless there is a pattern of very poor memory across your lifespan and if you parents also showed the same pattern. It's normal to not always know where you acquired a certain piece of knowledge from and it's also normal to not remember everything that happened to you on any given day. Some people have better and worse memories, and some have better memories of a certain type. For example, I have an excellent visual memory whereby if I think of how to get to a certain place from my house, I'll make a mental route of the streets and I can see how every house, school, etc.. looks. Sometimes even how a certain car looks in each driveway if they're there when I saw them. I can describe it perfectly to someone. For things at school, this applied also. However, if you were to ask me some of the street names along these streets, I'm hopeless. Many of the streets I can correctly visualize, I cant recall the street names so if someone tells me where something is by an intersection, I need them to give me a visual cue then I'll know exactly where it is (assuming I've been there).

When it comes to someone's name, I can usually put the face to the name but not always the name to the face.

But, when it comes to remembering where I learned something, I may be able to do that but it depends on what it was I learned. For example, I learned the multiplication chart in grade 4/5 and I can describe how that chart looked, where on the wall it was, how the carpet looked, name of classmates and teacher, how far my desk was from the chart, how the room looked and to an extent, where other kids sat. This chart was for your basic multiplying though, however, if you asked me when I learned to multiply more complex things like 11 x 13 as opposed to 2 x 5, I have no clue. So some things I can remember. In high-school, I remember learning about a bunch of topics but I don't know when during that year I learned them. I just know I did learn them.

Kids can be at a mentally older age than their chronological age. I knew a kid in grade 5 who had to do some silly little presentation like all the classmates did but he chose to do his on the detailed processes of DNA replication and discussion of mitochondria. The other classmates and teacher didn't understand a thing so he had to dumb it down until he skipped some grades.

So your reasoning ability may be better than other kids but I don't think you should try to dumb yourself down.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread