TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
the.end Offline
whisper from your father
Welcome me, I'm new!

The Green Guide to Bipolar Disorder - February 11th 2011, 02:46 AM

Hey. I noticed that a large amount of you ask questions about bipolar disorder so I thought I would try to share some of my experience. This is directed at people who are suffering but it can apply to friends and family of sufferers.
----------

First, you need a support system. Some days you probably won't want to get out of bed and you're going to need them there dragging you outside.
Yeah, so your life isn't going to be as easy and yeah, it's totally not fair at all. But it's the way things are, there's no changing it and self pity is quicksand.
Take your medicine everyday no matter what and if the medicine doesn't work enough or the side effects are too much-; go to your doctor and get new meds. Some meds work for some people and not for others, you've got to find your perfect one. There is nothing be ashamed of, you didn't ask for this.

Some basic rules:

Try. I promise you no matter how hard you're trying you could be trying more, positive psychology. Force yourself to do things even when they make you anxious (like going for a job interview). Force yourself to be calm when you're pissed. Tell yourself to be happy and most of all, forgive all your shortcomings to the point where you'll let yourself be happy. Tell yourself that you are doing well, and that you deserve happiness.

2. Small Goals. Getting better isn't a goal, it's an outcome. Making it two days without a breakdown-; thats a goal. The point of a goal is for it to be something you can do that may be difficult but it's within your range of doing. Reward yourself when you meet these goals (I like iced cappuccinos at Tim Hortons)

3. Accept That There Will be Bad Days. Know that because the nature of our disease, we won't remain constant in any mood. For every terrible day there will a good one coming. Unlike depression, we get a break in the suffering.

4.MEDS. MEDS. MEDS. Don't ever take yourself off them without consulting a doctor and take them whenever you're supposed to, like clockwork. Meds won't fix you but they make it easier for you to fix yourself, they just take the edge off. Remind yourself that any part of your mind telling you to stop taking meds may merely be the disease talking.

5. Be Nice to You. You've got to learn to love and take care of yourself, forgive yourself for everything you've done in the past and decide to start with a clean slate. If there is a relationship that isn't healthy- do whats right for you. If you aren't happy at your job or your school- change it. When you survive, happiness will find you and you're all you've got in the end. Do something drastic to be happy; give yourself a new birthday and decide that you're a new person from that day on [I was born november 15th, 2009].
Do what makes you happy (as long as it's healthy) even if it doesn't make sense. For example, why did I make the titles of these green? Because I really like green and it made me happy. Simple as that.

Most of all, do your research. If you have any questions then ask your doctor [you ARE paying them, they work for you.]

This is not a death sentence, this doesn't mean you can't do things and function in society. Use your positive psychology; most people only get to see happy and sad but because we're bipolar we get the entire spectrum. They get black and white and we get every single color imaginable and I don't know about you but I think we're pretty damn lucky for that.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: The Green Guide to Bipolar Disorder - February 11th 2011, 03:30 AM

Here's my experience, bipolar sucks but you can't do anything about it so just do what your doctor says and deal with it
On a serious note though, your guide is very informative and well written and even though I've been suffering..no, dealing with this for almost 13 years I still learned something from reading this. Accept the bad days!!!! I've been having a bad week xD well it's actually not bad for me, bad for the people who have to deal with me.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
the.end Offline
whisper from your father
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: The Green Guide to Bipolar Disorder - February 13th 2011, 04:49 AM

well thanks!

Closed Thread