TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ohjoy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy avoidant personality disorder - February 13th 2011, 04:24 AM

i stumbled across the symptoms for this tonight and realized how well it described me. the bad thing is that i have let it get so bad that i think i know have depression too. they don't mix well together. i'm so scared that i'm never going to be better. i hate seeing my life fly by day by day. i'm not making memories, i'm just wasting away my 'golden years.' the only time i can actually have conversations with people is when i'm drunk. its a bad habit. the only reason i drink is so i can interact with people without it being awkward. i idolize anyone that isn't awkward and makes friends easily. most people have conversations daily, but i only talk in phrases. i don't remember the last time i had a complete conversation.
has anyone ever had avoidant personality disorder before? if so, how were you treated? are you better now? i just want to know that there is hope.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Emily. Offline
taste the sky
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: avoidant personality disorder - February 14th 2011, 04:40 AM

Hey there,

I've never dealt with this disorder, but I thought I would give you a response anyways.

First of all, I don't think you should diagnose yourself via the internet. The web is wonderful in that it puts so much information at our fingertips, but you can't diagnose yourself with something off of a list of symptoms on a web page. There's simply too many things that match people's personalities or mental/physical symptoms. I could probably find a a hundred things I fit the symptoms for, but have none of them.

If you think you have this personality disorder, then find a therapist to talk to. Get a real diagnoses from someone who can help you overcome it. It could simply be that you're a bit shy. Millions of people are, but that doesn't mean they have a disorder.

Reach out and get some help. Find a counselor to talk to.

If you ever need to talk you can PM me anytime.
<3 Emily

"Sometimes it's a struggle to be not who you want to be, not who you used to be, not who you're going to be,
but just being right where you are, who you are"

Closed Thread