TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Meg

Exclamation How can I get through this? They think I have schizophrenia. - March 17th 2011, 03:41 AM

There's been so much going on in my life recently.
It all started with one night when I got a little /too/ drunk and ended up upsetting my best friend (who knows about the people I believe are living inside me). The next day, a lot happened, and my parents ended up figuring out about my attachment to alcohol and perscription pills (actually, pills of any kind), as well as the people within me. They did not take this well.
Eventually, they sent me to a hospital so I could get a test. They all believe I have schizophrenia, but I don't believe it. I have an appointment with a psychiatrist set up for Monday (and I'm not looking forward to it in the slightest).
These people are real.
But there's nothing I can do to make them believe it. Believe me, I've tried.
So for now I just want to know how to get through this.
Thank you.
  Send a message via Skype™ to An Artificial Girl 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: How can I get through this? They think I have schizophrenia. - March 17th 2011, 04:04 AM

If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by people living inside you? I'm juat trying to understand how and why they got to the conclusion of schizophrenia and to see if I could off other suggestions you could bring up at your appointment, as schizophrenia is a pretty serious diagnosis for someone your age.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: How can I get through this? They think I have schizophrenia. - March 17th 2011, 04:57 PM

Hey there! I'm going to be honest with you: believing there are people living inside of you (whether physically or spiritually) is not common. Some people do believe they share their bodies with spirits, ghosts, etc... but for the most part, when people start to make claims like yours, it causes people to worry. Since it's not common, it's seen as "abnormal", and abnormal conditions can also be deemed harmful to you and/or the people around you.

For example, individuals suffering from schizophrenia may not be able to stay in school, hold down jobs, or maintain healthy relationships because the voices from the "people living inside" are constantly distracting them. After a while, individuals suffering from schizophrenia may begin to listen to those voices, and sometimes, those voices can say things that are irrational or even dangerous.

I know you're not looking forward to your visit with the psychiatrist... but you also said that you want to know how to get through this. My suggestion is to be as honest and comprehensive as possible. Tell the psychiatrist what you told us - and don't leave anything out. You may be tempted to avoid talking about the people living inside of you for fear that the psychiatrist won't believe you. You may also be tempted to avoid talking about the alcohol/pills because it's illegal to use such substances. Giving the psychiatrist a complete picture of your situation, however, will allow the assessment process to go a lot more smoothly. If you refuse to open up now, and you exhibit concerning behavior again in the future, your parents will just force you to go back to the hospital for testing all over again.

Closed Thread